What should I bring to the hospital?

edited January 2011 in Pregnant
Im only 5months but I keeo stressing what I have to bring to the hospital. Any advice?

Comments

• Lol its never too early to be prepared. I pack by bags around 32 weeks. With my daughter, we brought:
    Baby clothes-outfit for baby to come home in
    A blanket for him/her that smells like you
    Hats/mittens (thin ones so he/she wont scratch themselves)
    Car seat
    The rest for baby, the hospital supplies for you

For us:
    Snacks for my husband while I was in labor so he didn't have to leave
    Hard candy for you in labor (helps with pain management)
    a robe for after baby is born
    Toiletries of my own (shampoo, body wash, toothbrush, etc)
    Hair brush and hair ties
    Camera
    Change of clothes for the hubby
    Comfy clothes to go home in
    Makeup (never used though. Lol)

Best of luck and congrats!
  • This is my first also. You should bring some pjs you like an that are lose for after you have the baby an take a shower slippers your own soap an thing an a sweat suit it something like that for when you leave. An for the baby cute clothes you might want to save them in a box I kno I want to the car seat but your bf or hubby can bring that when its time to leave so its not in the way a blanket or two if its cold an any thing else you should think of good luck
  • Thanks ladies. Im going to keep it in mind. Helps alot
  • Books, or word searches. Something to keep you and anyone there occupied if it turns out to be a long labor. It will help keep your mind off the fact that things are taking so long.
  • Ur phone lol when she said book and word searches I have pregly 4 android so if u have a phone with apps download lots of stuff 2 pass time lol. And then all the stuff every1 else said ohhhh and don't 4get pads u need that because ur gonna b bleeding.
  • Also, ask your hospital if they have laptops for your amusement. When I went into my first, they offered me a laptop to help pass the time, it was actually relatively new and was WONDERFUL, as it let me upload my pics online and chat with all my friends. It was completely "free" as well, i put free in quotes because well, you're already paying $20k for your stay :P
  • @michelya ur paying $20k 4 ur stay?
  • -money, if you want to get his/her pictures taken and for your partner/coach if s/he gets hungry.
    -a baby blanket that matches the take home outfit-they'll lay it under your baby for the photo and you'll want to bundle him up when you leave.
    -the take-home outfit-if it's your first, make sure you get something that will be easy to put on, like pajamas with a zipper down the front, a gown that sinches below the baby's feet, or an outfit with elastic waist pants and a button/zip top. Dressing a newborn can be a pain in the butt, lol, and at first you'll be hesitant to force those tiny little limbs into clothing.
    -two onesies and a burp cloth for after baby's first bath.
    -you won't need diapers or formula or bottles, but if you want to practice packing the diaper bag, now's a good time.
    -your camera, phone, chargers (don't forget your chargers!), laptop, e-reader or books, journal or sketch book, etc.
    -your baby book, pregnancy journal, pens/markers. The baby book is important, if you're keeping one. You will forget a lot in the craziness after you get home, and you'll have nothing but time to record all those first feelings and experiences while you recover.
    -nursing bra/shirt (even if you don't nurse, they're comfy) or maternity pajamas from early in your pregnancy, a comfy early maternity outfit to go home in, slippers, a few pairs of underwear that you don't mind ruining (you bleed a lot after birth, even if you have a c-section).
    -your pillow, shampoo/conditioner/soap/sponge, toothbrush and toothpaste (I bought travel size and a new toothbrush so I didn't have to pack anything last minute), make-up, if you wear it.
    -change of clothes and toothbrush for your partner/coach, snacks.
    -about three weeks before you're due you should install your carseat and (and the extra base, if you have two cars) and have them checked by a professional to be sure they're installed correctly. That way you know it's safe, you get used to having it in the car, and you don't forget it when you leave. If you're using an infant carrier make sure that you bring it inside the hospital, they will want proof that the baby is going home in one.
  • I'm not paying a dime, my insurance covers it 100%. my first child, our combined 4 day stay for a csection was $61k
  • Damn oh yea my insurance covers it too I gotta make sure cuz time is cutting close 5weeks 1 day left
  • I agree with all of the above!! If you are a clean freak like my mom and I definitely bring some disinfecting wipes for the potty and sink. I was sick in the hospital early in the first trimester and my mom wiped everything down. Like the tv remote. Lol. Also ear plugs. Someone at work was telling me that some women who don't opt for epidurals scream pretty loud. That and no one whispers any more. It is so noisy!!
  • Oh yeah, big thick maxim pads. I read in the girlfriends guide to pregnancy thatshe bled so muchthat she used two at a time!
  • The hospital will provide you with pads that are longer and more absorbant than anything you can find in a store. They're not adhesive and they're uncomfortable, but they work well. And when you leave you can take the box with you; I always use them until the bleeding slows down to something like my period, then switch to my normal brand. You can also take the diapers and formula that are in your room. They throw all that stuff away, so you might as well make use of it.
  • You should bring panties night wear robe bed room shoes socks over night bag good fitted bra wash cloth n toelwel soap deortant overnight pads two ot fits for the baby n breast pump