TTC after a D&C

edited March 2011 in Trying to conceive
Ladies I had a d&c on Monday and the doctor instructed me to wait 3 full cycles before ttc again. Is it really necessary to wait that long?

Comments

• I have never had a D & C, but when my sister had one they told her to wait 3 cycles also. I think it is to give your uterus time to heal and get back to normal so it can be ready for when you are pregnant again.
  • I had one on Feb 21 2001 and found out April 12 2001 I was pregnant with my son who is now 9. They told me so wait as well but as you can see I didnt and got the best gift of all. Good luck to you
  • I had a D & C a yr ago an your docs right an i agrree with brittbritt as to y a D & C is alot for your uterus to handle give it time. But i will save up some baby dust just for u when u r try :) @lil_bit17
  • Thanks girls :X @mommyof2angels and live4my2 approximately how long did it take you to get your first cycle after the procedure?
  • It was about 35 days
  • I had a DNC in Oct.....the doctor never told me that I needed to wait any length, in fact she told me I would be real fertile after the DNC, so as soon as I stopped bleeding we started trying again. I think some docs say to wait bc sometimes your levels are still high and its hard to tell rather your actually pregnant or if its the left over hormones. They also ask you wait bc of the emotional toll a DNC can cause. I had my DNC on Oct. 18th and had my first cycle on Nov. 14th....its liked it picked up right where it left off. I think ultimately its up to you....
  • How long does it take for your hormone levels to get back to normal?
  • i had a d&c done 3weeks ago and i still havent gotten my period. doc told me to wait 2 cycles before trying again...
  • @jenny1973 2 cycles sounds better than 3! How are feeling? I felt great after the procedure. I only bled that night. Its so hard to wait. I'm ready to try again now LOL >:D<
  • @lil_bit17 my doctor said the same three cycles, I was pregnant again by the 5th cycle
  • @maybabygirl thanks so much for your input! Its very reassuring to see women getting preggo again so quickly. Its so hard to be patient :/
  • im feeling good, how are you? youre lucky that u only bled si little, its been 3 weeks for me and i bled up to 2 days ago.... im not sure if i want to try again, to emotional to go thru that again. good luck to you and lots of baby dust ur way!!!!
  • @lil_bit17 what is a D&C?
  • I had a d & c in November, got told to wait for one cycle before trying again so I would give my body some time and I would have a lmp date to work out the due date if I got pregnant straight away. We got pregnant in feb. Good luck to you, take care of yourself xx
  • I

@babyluv8 d&c stands for dilation&curettage. It is a procedure they do when you have a miscarriage and the fetus does not expel on its own. They dilate your cervix and clean out all contents in your uterus. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and they put you under anesthesia.
  • @lil_bit17 it is hard to be patient. I thought for along time why is it so easy for everyone else to have healthy babies? But someone told me my day would come and it did. I knew something had to have been wrong with the baby that's why I m/c. Good luck I am sure you will be expecting again soon :)
  • I know how hard it is to have a DnC as well I had one in Dec. And my Dr. Told me that everything was fine with me and said that when ever I was ready to start trying again I would be good. So I actually got pregnant in feb. And now im 10weeks pregnant so far everything is great. Im also in school to be a reproduction nurse. You don't have to wait if your body is ready to be pregnant it will happen just enjoy trying. Hope everything goes well.
  • I had a dnc dec 23rd and founf out I was pregnant feb 17th I tried right after I lost the baby.my doctor said that I could try again when I feel ready to.I am now 11w1d
  • I had one last Sept. Dr.said 2 cycles. Got prego in Dec. I'm 17wks 4days now