question on age-appropriate activity...

edited April 2011 in Parenting
I'm kind of in a dilema
my baby sister is 13 as of march 24 and she wanted to go with me to my nail appointment to watch me get my nails done because i get the gels and airbrush stuff and she thought it looked cool...so i said okay and figured she could get a manicure (non-achrylic, just buffer and polish u know?) but she just called me and asked what day r we going because she got money to get an achrylic set and wants me to appointment her in too.
so i said r u sure because u have to keep those up every 2 weeks they're expensive, and do u think u are old enough for those and what the heck do your parents think? (we have the same Dad, she has a different Mom) and her Mom said its okay. let me just say real quick that her Mom is no prize and probably the laziest worst parent I've ever met. she doesn't do anything worthy of being called a parent all she did was push the babe out. okay. so what should i, being the caring responsible adult in her life, do?
am i making a big deal out of nothing and just let her get nails put on, or is it too much too young? what would u ladies with daughters do?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My oldest daughter is 14 & i wouldn't allow acrylic nails for her! I told her maybe one time deals for a formal or something since she is high school age but no way would i let her get them just because. She does however get her brows and upper lip waxed...if not she's a hair beast...
  • edited April 2011
    I think 13 is a reasonable age for acrylics. At my last appointment there was a 6yr old getting her nails done with her mom :/ at 13 she just wants to feel grown up, and its a good time for you to bond with her :) she could be wanting much worse things at her age.
  • Ive never had my nails done and im 25.. but if shes want to do it and knows shes gonna have to keep up w/ it.. and her parents don't mind..let her do it ..and shell learn ..and maybe wont wanna do them anymore..
  • I say you talk to parents to double check. Then, with approval, take her to get em done... My grandma used to put acrylics on me when I was like 11 or 12. Because of her, im able to do acrylics for my friends. I think its a great way for you two to bond! It is always exciting to see a young woman have her nails done for the first time!
  • i think it is ok for her to go get her nails done just let her know that she will have to keep them and reenforce the expense issue and that it will keep costing her money if she wants to keep them all the time thing i also think that you should consider it maybe being a reward thing take her out when she does good on a test or gets good grades on a report card ask your dad what he thinks (about it period and as a reward)
  • my sister is 14 and has never done had her nails done. she has seen me many times do minee! but the thing is she has likee the prettiest natural LONG nails. im super jealous! but i dntt see a problem, i tell my sister if she wants them done then she better not complain or cry wen they breakk. it always works. :D
    -
  • @rockinmomma
    Omg 6?? That's not okay.
    And about her wanting worse things, that's excatly what i worry about because I was getting achrylics at 13 and i WAS into way worse things. Not saying its bcuz i had nails on lol. I didn't have a Mom growing up, my Dad raised me best he could but we never related and i had a troubled, mischvious childhood i did horrible things lol. And she doesn't really have any more motherly guidance from her Mom and probably even less from my Dad than i had :( so i do worry about what she's going to turn to for that kind of love and support and guidance. I try to be there as much as possible but i just recently moved back.to town and have missed the last few years. The last thing i wanna do is turn her into a mini me!
  • @pregnantlettemama and @Mommysierra
    I know excatly what our Dad would say "Idk i don't care ask her Mom", and like i said her Mom doesn't care about anything to do with her only daughter, and i feel like i have to be the sensible responsible female role model for my sister I'm all she has really
  • @cgm1113 lol that's funny i don't think it'll deter my sister though she really wants them and she will probably follow up once and then not anymore, that's another thing tho i son want her to get since of them a week after getting them and try to take them off on her own... i did that the first or second time and f**ked my nails up! And it hurt like crazy... :(
  • I did acrylic nails for my sister she is 13 and I need someone to practice on lol but my mom doesn't mind she says if we want r nails done like that then we pay for them ourself... and its not her responsibility if they brake or look bad after while..
    That was when I turned 15 though.. before I just bough press on nails and called it good lol
  • @MommyAgain that's what i feel, if it was a school dance or some special function, than MAYBE. but just because? It just seems hookerish to me for a 13 yr old to have long fake nails (please no judgemnt from anyone on that comment) but that's what i was thinking at that age and that why i wnted them. But i was also Grooming my eyebrows at about 12 too because it was gross when i didn't lol
  • @babyboyontheway yeahh wen i was younger and i saw my older cousins get theirs done, i was determined to do mine; they warned me but of course att that time i knew i was rightt. and wen i got them on like 3 days later my brother threw a football to me and it like jammed my finger and broke my nail. i cried for hours!! :( so i learned my lesson!
  • @bkuneki i used to do the press on nails too and i always messed them up so bad because i would use super glue for long lasting and it always turned out horrible lol i guess if rather her have them professionally done then try to do it herself and glue everything together haha
  • I guess since I'm her "momma" like role model I'm glad she comes to me instead of another 13 yr old friend for things. I think i will compromise by letting her get them but they have to be short sweet and simple not long claws. Is that a good idea?
  • yes sounds wonderful. glad she can look up to yu <3 :)
  • I think its a good idea. It will teach her about responsibility, and maintaining them. It's also a good way for her to learn about the value of money and how expensive things can be. I'd make her earn the money to have them done tho and not just hand it over to her. She might come to realize that she would rather spend the money she makes on other things that may be more important to her. I think its great, plus u will be able to see just how responsible she can be with the up keep of them and the time and money it takes to keep them looking good. I also commend u for stepping up and being a good influence and caring person in her life which at her age is vital for her :) let both of u indulge in a lil girl bonding time :) ur awesome!
  • PPlus with u being there to monitor u can make sure they don't look like claws or "hookerish" and u can let her pick a cute color that's not too loud or over the top. something for spring like a cute pink, coral or lavender :)
  • I think thats a great idea! Its a fantastic way to teach her responsibility too. Have a great time!
  • i think that 13 is a good age... she doesnt necessarily have to keep up with them, but it will make her feel pretty while they last.. as long as they arent too long or too over-done with paints & what not, i think its fine... i got my belly button pierced when for my 13th birthday ( my sister had to beg my mom lol)... i never really showed my belly anyways so it wasnt something i showed off.. and my mom got married in 2001, i was 11... i got a full set with french manicure for her wedding and after that i could get my nails done whenever i had the money... things are different this day in age... if you feel uncomfortable taking her, then i dont think you should.. but if YOU feel its okay then do it! :) its a great bonding time for the both of you ;)
  • A lot of parents are letting their kids do "adult" things.. In my opinion she is still to young.

When I was 13 my mom started to let me dye my hair.. I REALLY wish she wouldn't have b.c. now it seems so dry and FRIZZY! nothing I do helps.. Everything I use makes my hair oily.. gah..
  • I have a 13 year old n I want her to say a kid for as long as possible. We go to the nail shop together sometimes n she will get a full mani with the cute lil designs but never will I allow her to get nails. Now when she goes to hs we can talk about all the teenage girly things
  • @Kingsmama thanks for your comment it made me feel so good :) i know i have to step in where her Mom falls short otherwise she will follow my footsteps, and i know this because when i was 8 my Dad married her and so she "raised" me till i moved out at 17 and she wasn't a good Mom, she's not doing any better with my sister, her one and only daughter. i would be so disappointed if she starts getting into trouble like i did and it all started for me around 13 :(
  • I don't think its that big of a deal, like everyone else said she'll just learn the responsibility. When I was in high school I would get them done once in a while but never get them filled and they would just fall off lol.
  • Ok its not that bad my four year old gets. Her nails. Polished because when she sees the color on my nails. She says she want mommy. Nails so I paint them for her but a 13 if I can afford for both of us to go then we Will cause its good for bonding me and my mom did it seem....nails never made me feel grown
  • Just make sure there normal sized
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for all the opinions! I've been trying to address each one of u individually but my phone keeps freezing up and its BEYOND ANNOYING so again, thanks to everyone i take all opinions to heart and consider and appriciate all input :)
    Happy pregnancies to all!
  • Aww ur welcome hunnie :) I'm a total advocate for siblings who r willing to step up and be there for younger siblings when their parents can't or just won't. And u know 1st hand about her "mothering" capability, so u can be the one to help guide her and give her what she needs. Plus with the bond u form with her is crucial cuz she will be more willing to come to u with her problems and concerns rather than turning to her peers who might steer her in the wrong direction. And u can show her how to achieve anything and not make the same mistakes u did at her age :) I'm totally pro sibling raising esp that ur leading her in the right direction in life
  • I think it's awesome you are so close to and taking care of your sister =) I know the 1st time I ever got my nails done was close to that age. It was fun but it didn't become a big deal and I let them fall off eventually coz I didn't care lol I don't think it looks weird on younger girls unless they're really long. Have fun whichever you choose!