circumcise/uncircumcise

Comments

• Any boys i have WILL be circumcised!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree that we should be able to give our opinions without offending people with the opposite opinions. But I also think stating that the reasons of someones opinion is uneducated is also offensive to some.

I don't agree that an uncirc boy has a higher or lower chance of getting an STD. But I don't know where that person got their info from and I'm not going to say it was uneducated. For the infections, I can't myself say its from cleaning or not cleaning well enough. I know my dad ended up having a circ in his fifties due to chronic infections and I certainly hope it wasn't because he wasn't cleaning well enough but I never felt comfortable enough to ask. I was young when my first son was born and probably had it done for the wrong reasons. Everyone else was doing it. Not saying that is a wrong reason on its own just saying I was naive enough not to find a reason to or not to of my own.

My last baby was 9 years ago and was a girl so I wasn't faced w this choice. Last boy was 16 years ago tomorrow! And I probably did it just because his older brother did. This time around I wanted to think it through and based off of my older boys cleaning habits yes I do feel that its better not to have to worry about if he's cleaning well enough when he gets old enough that he doesn't want me checking his business.

I also considered that I don't want him getting teased in the boys locker room at school for being "different" but also want all of my kids to know that different doesn't mean less than. All though I do agree that uncirc is more common then it has been in the past.
  • @shae, it may sound harsh, but there's not really another way to put it. You could say ignorant, but the connotation for that isn't any better. It's proven that circumcision doesn't prevent infection and isn't healthier for boys. People used to say that that was the case, but if you look into the more up-to-date information out there it's clear that "medical reasons" shouldn't be a factor in the decision, as the most common reasons for circumcision being medically necessary aren't evident until after puberty. Tradition, religion, personal preference--they're all valid reasons, but it's misinformation to say that cleanliness and medical reasons are a good basis for making the decision.

@mommys1stbundle I think there is a difference between fgm and circumcision. Fgm is incredibly dangerous because it's so often done in non-sterile environments, the age at which it's done is (usually) much later than Western circumcision is done, and the reasoning behind it is specifically to eliminate sexual pleasure. A newborn isn't going to be emotionally scarred and has no idea where any pain that they may feel is--newborns aren't even aware that the people holding them aren't part of themselves. Their nervous systems aren't fully developed, so the pain that they feel is not that same as that of an older child who could easily be emotionally scarred by the procedure. My personal opinion is that if it's going to be done, it should be done to a newborn or a consenting adult.
  • I agree with the way you worded it but still not sure I agree with it not being for medical purposes. Looks like I have some more research to do. Not sure it will change my mind. But I def want to know why I choose whatever I choose. I do appreciate your input.
  • :) @shae it's a big decision. Maybe you could call a few pediatricians and get their input? Or talk to the nurses on the maternity ward at your hospital? There's lots of information on the web, but so much of it is biased. Talking to a few doctors that you trust or who at least have good reputations might make you more comfortable with your decision.
  • I don't think anyone here is meaning to state false information. This forum is about opinions advise support and experience. We all need to be open to different information. So far everything that I have researched says social, religion and health are all valid reasons to circ. Also read that it is becoming more common to not circ maybe even for those same reasons.

Hubby wants to circ but probably just because he is and believes it is a hygiene issue. Of course w/o any research. Either way I'm almost certain my little man will have it done.

Everyones decision and reason for decision is the right decision for them. I think this is one of those subjects where there really is no hard and fast right or wrong answer. Its all personal preference.
  • I will have my son circumcised because his father is, as well as the majority of people in our area. I don't want him to feel different or weird or ashamed in the locker room. I definitely don't have anything against people choosing not to though, I know it has alot to do with regions and cultures :)
  • I dont know if its a boy but we are circumsizing. I dont want the baby to get infections and have an embarassing image on himself.. being circumsized is more natural for majority now...
  • My friend made a really good point about the issue of being made fun of in the locker room...boys do not look at other boys penises, and if they did there would probably be more of an issue over why he was looking than what he saw. My friend says his dad was uncirc, and my friend is circ, but he didn't find out until he was an adult that they looked different because he never stared at it. Also, when adult, when the penis is erect you cannot tell the difference, so why would a potential lover even know you are uncircumcised? I haven't seen many flaccid ones in my lifetime, other than in committed relationships and why would you leave someone over that? As for the medical reasons, I think everyone should research recent, unbiased publications before scaring moms to be, but that is my opinion.
  • @kritten I think you mean average, not natural. No offense.
  • I still will circumcise my son, whether or not boys look at each other in the locker room. And yes, little boys do look at each other especially if one of them looks different. Regardless I believe it is right for me and my child.
  • Un.circumcise
    I dont like it my opion to painfull:/
  • AandK, do you know they look from personal experience? The uncirc men I know were never made fun of, so this makes me curious...also I know in the girls locker room, no one looked at anyone else, it was very quick and private.
  • Im getting mines circumsized
  • Now that I think back to high school I really don't remember any boy being teased for not being circumsized. But that could also be that 99% of boys if not all were. But my high school boys have never said anything about other boys either but I doubt they would talk to me about that stuff. Lol
  • The bottom line is its up to the mother and father. Either way they will still be cute little boys. There is no right or wrong answer. My husband and I decided were going to have it done unless a doctor and only a doctor recommends we don't.
  • I believe doctors are now required to tell you that it is offered not for medical reasons, also that's a reason many insurance companies wont cover it. I believe it is considered by the majority of the medical community to be a cosmetic procedure. Ultimately it is up to the parents, but again I recommend research. But I always do, with every topic lol
  • Men who are dont know what its like to not be and vice versa.. So whos to say what is better? My son isn't and theres never been any problems.
  • Yes I do. I have a friend who is foreign and moved to America in 3rd grade and was humiliated by a group of boys at a sleepover because he was different and felt uncomfortable becoming intimate with women later on. Regardless of that, I believe it is right for me and my son to have him circumcised and that's really all there is to it lol. I have other reasons too.
  • @First time mom. U put it perfect words. I couldnt have put it better my self. I dnt believe babies u should b circum n I stated y, but my sister has her boys circum .
  • edited April 2011
    @juneduebug I was more referring to when they are young vs. being in a locker room type situation... it's normal for little kids to be curious and look at other kids simply because they don't know it's socially inappropriate. All they see is something "different" and kids can be cruel.
  • Ankanl . Well my whole family most not circum size n we have 10 boys just about the age 5 to 15. N no one makes fun of them.i guess it matters where u live.n when they get older to have sex. N I women doesn't want to cause he isnt circum .he really doesn't need her , but I highly doubt that will happen
  • In the UK circumcision is not popular at all unless its for religious reasons or medical I.e. a tight foreskin. I have never been with a cut man and my son is not circumcised and I have never heard of anyone getting an infection because they have a foreskin. I think the risk of contracting an std is the same for cut or uncut. If u sleep with someone with an std you have a chance of getting it foreskin or not.