wic is ending?!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Ellie3712 you do know that 1.there are ppl who receive assistance and work and therefore pay taxes and 2. Even if there was no assistance you would still pay taxes? I understand frustration at ppl who abuse the system. But wic isn't really a program that can be abused. Its purely to ensure that moms and babies stay healthy. Other programs are a whole different issue entirely.
  • I read the other post on the other app as well it disgusted me. I'll say the same thing here. WIC provides a little bit of help to parents who need it. You still have to pay for things. I used it with my son 6 yrs ago and it was a blessing. Going to school and working. There are a ton of government funded programs, why complain bout one that helps infants and children. The area agency on aging, help me grow, board of developmental disabilities, job corps, alcohol and drug rehab programs as well ALL RECIEVE GOVT FUNDING. So I'm sick of seeing bashing that helps the next generation out. With all the social services in the US everyone can have someone close to them that uses a service. People need to get off their darn high horse and stop complaining. Lifes not far we know, but it'd be better to hear support rather than I know such and such abuse or I cant get help so u shouldnt either. U dunno what someones been thru til ur in their shoes.

Sorry if I offended anyone
  • @lol_buggie_3: exactly. They only give 8 small cans of formula a month and that doesn't last so i have had to buy formula too. At 6 months they give you less formula because your baby should be on solids by then.
  • Those are great news!!! Maybe now people will be more responsible and don't expect to have the government support their babies. If you loose your job then get a loan or use your savings. It is your baby, do not expect others to pay for it. Maybe now people will have babies they can actually afford. I make very little money, and I made sure before planning to bring my baby to this world that I can afford it, and yes I saved for it so if I loose my job I can still support it. You made the baby, be responsible and pay for it. I think that people on WIC are the ones who are overbreeding! Kudos to Breezee and every other responsible parent!
  • I live in Chicago and I haven't heard of this. Wow. Damn.
  • @twinkiesmom I do and it wasn't meant to anyone specifically. Abuse of assistance programs was mentioned and that's where I was going with it. I work for the state and see both sides.
  • @blessed1 wow I had NO IDEA a whole bunch of women were overbreeding are u frickin serious right now? God forbid u run out of money and have o use WIC
  • @Seiffer
    Well said doll! My lil sister was a hot mess in highschool, almost 17 and still failing 9th grade. Job corp literally saved her life. She graduated 2 years ago and now is in community college.
  • @blessed1 are you serious?! Comparing ppl to animals? So these babies don't deserve to eat because their parents aren't rich? You're a mom, think of the babies.
  • @blessed1 who the hell you calling irresponsible. Me and my husband have busted our butts for years and paid into the government and now that we are needing some assistance that makes us irresponsible.?
  • @jaime77 just saying there are a ton of programs that are funded and are great :) a hand up in society not a hand out.

And everything can be abused, but not everyone abuses.
  • Where I live if your pregnant or have a child under the age of 5 you qualify no matter what you make. Its not public aid. Lol its a program commited to making sure ALL women infants and children are healthy not just those who make less that 40 thousand a year. They also do health care for children under 5. You shouldn't be so quick to judge. It just makes you look like the ignorant one.
  • @blessed1 before we were laid off we PAID TAXES. on unemployment, WE STILL PAY TAXES. we needed temp help, and rightfully recieved help that WE BASICALLY PAID FOR when we were working and PAYING TAXES. wow this is getting on my nerves
  • @Ellie3712 I understand. I'm not denying it doesn't happen. But my concern is the children you know? Like if there was no Public housing how many children would be homeless? If there were no food stamps how many kids wouldn't eat? That's my point.
  • Or no savings when some only make $10hr.
  • Oh and most places where i live don't give out loans unless you have almost perfect credit.
  • @twinkiesmom Our goal is to get those people back to work. Every situation is different so it really falls on the motivation of the individual involved. Assistance is meant to be temporary to get people back on their feet. Those who abuse government assistance programs don't see it that way. This is to nobody specific on this forum.
  • I make too much to qualify... but it doesn't consider my student loan payment, car payment (ford focus, not a lexus), rent (1br in the city for me and hubs with a baby on the way), back medical bills we are still paying on, utilities at my elderly moms house that we help out with. My husband is disabled military because he was shot up in iraq... and he took a job as a corrections officer at half the pay.... and we are pinching pennies. Hand me down baby items etc. But we make do and make it work.

Im waiting for target to put my breast pump on sale again from $279 to $259 before i buy it.... and its just disheartening to read posts about freebees. We work hard and pay taxes and somehow miss all of the freebees. I just paid $96 for hemmorhoid cream.

Its a great program and needed. But just needs some looking into.

PS: not asking for sympathy... just pointing out that everyone is different. My income means nothing when you look at our expenses.
  • What some people don't understand is that for people who do have to pay for stuff think completely differently then people who get assistance. I could literally make 10 cents more and not qualify. If anyone who is offended by comments about ppl being a little irritated about wic put yourself in our shoes.. Seriously think about it. I work in day care and I see parents on assistance and there are some that really need it and really appreciate it and appreciate us for watching there kids. But there are many families who abuse the system to great extent and those are the families that disgust me. Its the family with 5 kids on day care assistance, getting everything possible on wic, having assisted living, rolling up in there escalade that really piss me off. People that deserve it and appreciate what they are really getting should be thankful for everything they have and return the favor when they can. I'm not trying to offend anyone but you really have to look at it in our eyes too. my theory is if you can't afford what you got then stop having more until you can.
  • @oregonmama well said. And goodwill rocks
This discussion has been closed.