30 lb weight restriction as a CNA... how is this gonna work

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
I started spotting this weekend after working short 3 days in a row. Because of this I got put on a lifting restriction. The lightest lady I take care of is 100 lbs. I'm not sure how this is gonna work but I can't lose my job. Anyone else in the same situation?

Comments

• I do und3rstand where coming from IV done the same thing and every time i take my doc note to work they send me home and tell me to come back when the doc lifts my restrictions i had to beg my doc to let me return to work
  • kinda not the same but i had to stop working in certain houses ( learning disabilties) due to violence so i can only work in like 2 different houses i was scared i was gunna loose my job but i'd just sue their a$$'
  • Lifting things is verry dangerous when your pregnant.. you really shouldnt lift anymore than 50 pounds anyways because it puts strain on you and stresses the baby.. :( how far along are you??
  • How far along are you? U have to b extra careful in the first trimester.
  • I'm also a cna n have spotted but jus took it easy after the fact becuz I kno that I wud face the same.. my coworkers r very understanding-ask for help or ask to care for more of the 1 assists... I kno that at times this jus isn't possible but rest well on ur breaks n put ur feet up at every chance... What shift do yu wrk?
  • edited April 2011
    Your employer is supposed to honor your doctors orders it may mean that they have to change your work description for the time being. Its important to do what ur doc says though because lifting could jeopardize the baby. Your baby is more important than your job and money.
  • It is in a cnas job description to lift 50+ lbs .. n no lite duty if it wasnt wrk related:( so their way of honoring that is sending u home...
  • Is there any way you can take family medical leave as cna and pick up hrs in different dept?
  • I worked as a cna with my 1st child until I was 39 weeks.. I had him right on my due date. I worked 12 hour days. I was put on lifting restriction for about 1 month in second trimester. My employers put me on light duty which included, making beds, feeding, working with the ones that could walk, assisting with the lifts, pretty much everything but lifting on my own.
  • Im a cna and im 22 weeks and I startd haven bad cramps while lifting a resident one time I just always make sure if I have a big resident to always have someone else with me
  • I understand with my first I waited tables and had to insist on breaks per doctors orders and with my second and third I worked with special needs adults. (Basically as a CNA with no certificate.) I was in charge of transporting patients lifting their wheelchairs gro eries for 7houses etc.) They did fire me from the position but honestly it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I lost my second child while working at that job and was having complications with my third pregnancy while at that job. Because I was fired my complications stopped and I found a different job tutoring and had no more complications because of the decreased stress on my body. It may bw a hard decision to make but its best if you follow doctors orders. You don't want to lose your child. Some women can lift their whole pregnancies others can't. I couldn't and that's ok.
  • @kello29 you must have had a very kind employer... I have wrkd at 2 different facilities as a cna n neither would have done such a thing
  • @kfigueroa I am from a small town where everyone knows everyone. That may be why I was so lucky. Also with the shortage of cna's they really couldn't afford not to keep as many ppl as possible.
  • @kello29 how small of a town? Our pop. Is only 35000 or so but we have no shortage of cnas here lol so very easily replaceable you could say
  • @kfigueroa population maybe 1200 on a good day. lol that was when I still lived there, population is up some due to the oilfield activity in this area now.
  • @kello29 Ohh ok... Yea that's small lol
  • They can't fire you. If you have short term disability through your employer and they are unable to accommodate light duty, you could file a claim. The only way you could lose your job is if you are out more than 12 weeks because you would no longer be protected under FMLA (Which runs concurrently with short term disability). Contact your HR dept. And get a copy of your plan/policy.
  • If you don't have short term disability, you can still file a FMLA claim if you are eligibile (if you have been with the same company for 12 months or more) due to your own health condition. Unless you live in CA, FMLA is an unpaid benefit.
  • Update- sorry I haven't been on here all day. I called my boss and told her what the doctor said. She called our hr director and got it so I'm a float. Kinda like what you did @kello29 I live in a small town so everyone is very caring and knows your business as soon as it happens. They are trying their best to help me. @kfigueroa o work 1st shift which is the bulk of the work day at my facility. Plus my hall has a lot of larger residents that are 2or more assists.@janellesmommie & @huneybee I'm 20 weeks. Thank you guys all for commenting. I appreciate all of you!
  • Well I'm happy you have it all worked out:)
  • Very glad they were willing to help you out. :)