What culture are you guys in and do you guys have any superstitious saying about babies/pregnancy?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
I'm hmong so we have tons of them! One is we can't go out to wide open areas cause there are spirits out there to get our baby. Yours?? no negatives please, lets be respectful :)

Comments

• I'm portuguese, my tia would tell us not to wear necklaces, it can make the cord wrap around bby neck. I also remember her saying no yelling or crying during delivery it's a sign of weakness lol.. Umm.. My daughter I wasn't quiet.
  • @jaime77 no way? Wow that's totally different.
  • My husband is Thai and if we have another c sec he wants to schedule it fir the 19th because 9 is a lucky number for Thais, of u dream about elephants then your pregnant, also the Chinese zodiac tells what type of person you r so they hope there baby will be born on a Good day
  • mexican. lets c. well the one that if the prego girl doesn't eat what they r craving the baby comes out looking like what they r craving. n from sorties iv heard n seen what happens to my cousin is he jas a birth mark in the shape of a strawberry. cuz his mom didnt get her strawberries. n also my gf wears a safety pin on her cloths. like on her shirt. especially during fill moons. its spose to protect something. lol
  • @momof22be wow really. That's is very odd but interesting! For us if we dream of snakes buying us then we are pregnant. Or like if you dream of a garden of fruit then that also tells you are prego. And if you dream of a melon and turn it over and it rots then your having a girl.

@firstimedaddy we are like that too about the cravings. Pretty cool.
  • @momof22be sorry I meant biting
  • edited April 2011
    Oh OK I thought it might be a strange dream if a snake would buy you LOL
  • Puerto rican n filipina.....if you cross over your baby daddy they feel more symptoms....if you dont give a prego what she wants you get a sty in your eye...which really happens its a very heavy beleif in my family
  • He said that you also cannot go upstairs or ride a bike or your baby will go breech, and if u eat what u crave that your baby will be born with there mouth hanging open and stay open but I did with my first but he's ok, and you should not buy baby clothes until your eight months pregnant I guess its bad luck but I've had all my clothes for months and I'm having my baby shower at 5 1/2 months so oh well on that one as well
  • @momof22be haha I know, I was reading it and was like what buying. Oh no another typo! Lol.
  • edited April 2011
    I believe the sty thing wow maybe that's why his eye was twitching last week big meanie
  • Lmao I know my phone does it almost everytime I post anything I have to edit it sucks LOL but I loooovve this post its such a break from the everyday thanks. ;)
  • Lol yea my cousin n my aunt both got stys i asked for guava pastries n they denied me ; (
  • Mexican culture over this way... and if an eclipse come ur suppose to wear like a key over ur belly so that it won't have any birth defects like wholes in the back or something .... If u don't get what u are craving then your babies mouth will always be open, a pregnant womans spit can heal bites, cuts, etc.,
  • @lexxiilokita yeah I did the same with my husband, I rolled over him and he got my symptoms for about one good day. I told him how does it feel now?! Lol
  • the mouth opening is very interesting. I never saw that happen before.
  • Im puertorican. When a baby has hiccups stick a red string on their forhead and it supposedly makes it go away. Wearing a little red bracelet wit a little hand on it is supposed to protect them from the "evil eye". When they are caughing blow on the soft spot on their head and they will stop. And sooo on I think its all baloney :/ hehe
  • @momof22be your welcome hun. We all need breaks!!!! We also have this thing if you crave for pork and can't get any then you have the holes on top of your ear that stinks and pushes out stinking juices. Ewwww...
  • @mommy2beagain wow! Now that is very interesting! I think I'm gonna try that.
  • I'm native american and we dont have much superstitions but my boyfriend is viet and its if your belly pokes out in the front then its a bout but if its round all around the belly then its a girl. Mine pokes out so everyone has said its gunna be a boy, I havent gotten one person who said its a girl lol!
  • @honestlyhopeful I think that goes for everybody. My belly pokes out on the bottom and it was a boy!
  • @mamanouchee the only one I think truly works is the one when you blow on the babies soft spot to help with coughing I saw a lady do it to her baby girl but I was scared to do it to my son lol
  • Oh and Thais Aldo believe that in the early weeks of pregnancy if u have a us and its round its a girl and if its a bean its a boy
  • @mommy2beagain yeah I was thinking of that too. I told my sister in law and she said that's the part where the baby also breaths from. Ummm I'm not sure of that. Lol
  • @momof22be that's what I saw! My baby was a shape of a bean and I was like, whoa that's weird.
  • @mommy2beagain we believe on the blowing on the soft spot thing to. n for the hicc ups. but it didn't have to b red. usually a little bit of toilet paper will do. n it does work. but I think its more to do w a cold spot on their forehead that makes it go away as oppose as some otherly would way. lol. either way I do it
  • @firstimedaddy I neverhesrd of that before. Usually I hear a lot of things but never that. We believe that when you wake up and your baby has a lot of eye booger then you lick it and it goes away. Pretty gross.
  • Yea I saw a ball the first time and she is a girl go figure
  • lol. well we also believe in the evil eye thing. n that babys need to wear a bracelet of red n black needs to ward it off. lol but I dont think my gf will do that one but she does wear the safety pin
  • @firstimedaddy I neverhesrd of that before. Usually I hear a lot of things but never that. We believe that when you wake up and your baby has a lot of eye booger then you lick it and it goes away. Pretty gross.