has anyone else had a positive culture???

edited May 2011 in Health
I got my results last week for my culture n they came out positive, I was wondering if anyone else has had it and if they're baby came out ok???

Comments

• Culture for what?
  • Group b strep?
  • You need to be more specific @calisbabygirl
  • @one5one dats what the dr called it, its that test they do to see if u have bacteria, they swab your vagina n rectum
  • Yes mine came back positive it means iv anti-biotics during labour your doctor should explain it on your next appointment.
  • @mommyto1soontob2 yes that. Do u know n e thing about it?
  • They didn't swab me like that. You should've asked questions like what kind of culture. Positive for what? I think if they swabbed you like that you might got an STD. How many weeks are you?
  • If Its strep b your talking about. I was positive for it with my last. I don't think anything was different other then I had to stay in the hospital for a full 48hrs after birth just to make sure the baby didn't get It
  • @tammy what does it mean? Why swab the anus & vagina? Is this for RH factor?
  • WWhat's the strep. B? Like the strep throat kids get? Why can't they give you antibiotics now? @soontohavethree
  • I have it and It's just extra bacteria tht causes infection and is more common then people think. They give u anti biotocs during labor and sadly sometimes u develop thrush and baby can also. Having that and have baby vag. With no treatment can be very bad and causes infection to them is quite serious. Knowing you have it though they will be prepared and treat. Ask doc more about it jus some insight for ya lol
  • @soontohavethree so ur baby was ok, eveything came out fine?? I was considering having a c-section but I need to talk to my dr about it
  • I don't remember :( its been a few years. I know its a bacteria that grows down there. I don't remember getting antibiotics. And I know they didn't give my lil boy any. They just monitored him more closely incasr they had to treat him @one5one. Sorry I'm not much help
  • @calisbabygirl yes he was healthy then and very healthy toddler now :)
  • medicinenet.com/group_b_strep/article.htm
  • @one5one they can't give me anti biotices now because it won't help it has to b during labor but its still not for sure that it won't be transmitted to the baby
  • Very interesting. I've never heard of this. I guess I'm ok with this baby. My first too. But hey you learn something new all the time.
  • Very interesting. I've never heard of this. I guess I'm ok with this baby. My first too. But hey you learn something new all the time.
  • @one5one how far are you? They check you either the apt before the GD. Check or the apt after. Which they do that around 28wks.
  • Thank u @soontohavethree u eased my mind a bit by telling me that ur baby is fine, I've been reading a lot about this n it scares me because I've read about the things that can happen to the baby if the bacteria gets transmitted to them
  • U must mean group b strep....its ok I just gave birth to my baby girl may 4th. I was positive I just got 3 IV doses of penicillin before she came out...we're both healthy :)
  • edited May 2011
    I was positive with my son. I had a csection though so im pretty sure i didn't get anything for it. They give u antibiotics when u have a csection either way.
  • I had group b strep with my last son that I just had almost a month ago. I was put on iv antibiotics when I arrived at the hospital. They give you iv antibiotics every 3 hours until you have the baby. My baby came out just fine and has been perfect since. Don't let it worry you. But yes your doctor should have explained it to you. Its not an std its just bacteria that ALL ppl carry and sometimes it comes out when you get pregnant.
  • @Caiti5 thanx for telling me, I like to read bout things idk so once the dr told me the test was positive I started reading about it n all the things it said that could happen to my baby started worrying me
  • @luvbump I remember reading if u have a c-section b4 ur water breaks or n e thing like that the bacteria won't get transmitted to the baby, but idk if its true imma ask my dr @ my next appt....but by u telling me they gave u antibiotics n everything is ok it eases my mind
  • @momof5 yes he should have but every time I go its like he's in a rush, he just talks to me very quickly n moves on to the nxt patient but when I go to my next appt imma stop him n ask
  • That's when you say okay I have lots of questions for you and I would like to get answers. I had a doctor like that and was very verbal and made it a point to keep him in there as long as I could. I pay good money to sit there and see him so I expect that he answered any questions that I had. The next patient can wait just like I had too. Doctors piss me off at times. They over book themselves then get all pissy when you have to talk to them.
  • Is it military doc they do that alot i never saw the same ob so now i have a normal one but i have streb b was givemln antibotics to take when i found out and will recive them during labor
  • @momof5 imma have to do that @ my next appt, I like reading bout stuff but its better to get the answers from my dr