Heart issues

edited May 2011 in Health
Im 16+ 2 today and yesterday at work I started noticing some fluttering in my chest. Like my heart was stuttering/struggling or missing some beats. I've had this happen in the past (prior to pregnancy) but only once in a blue moon and it goes away after a few seconds. It has also happened a little more than normal since being pregnant (maybe once a week or every few days at most) but this time it happened repeatedly from seconds to minutes apart for about an hour. Probably 10-20 times overall. I called my ob and the nurse said to go to the ER to get checked out. It took 3 hours to be called back, another 3.5 to even see a DR and then 4 more to be released. For a grand total of just over 10 hours. All they did was 2 blood tests, a urine test, and two EKG's in all that damn time. I was sooooo pissed. The nurse was new and incompenent, the DR even yelled at her when he found out we had been there 6.5 hours without even seeing a DR. Then, she had taken my blood but had never put the order in so we had to wait even longer for that. Anyway, after all that they could find not a thing wrong, and of course it had stopped and did not happen again the whole time we were there. So they sent me home with a halter heart monitor that I have to wear for 24 hours to try and catch any abnormalities. I have less than 10 hours left and of course nothing has happened. I'm worried. What if my heart can't handle the extra stress of pregnancy? What if it affects my baby? Am I gonna end up on bedrest? I have to work! There is no way I can be off for another what....30 weeks? On one hand I'm glad they didn't find anything, but on the other SOMETHING had to of caused it! Anyone experience anything like this? I'm terrified.

Comments

• Sounds scary!! I would suggest your doctor just see you more often than once a month visits. I feel my heart race alot but it's the blood volume increase.
  • @jaime77 yeah this is different than heart racing, I have that too. I honestly just wish it would happen while I have this thing on so that they can see it and determine if its something I need to be concerned about.
  • OMG I kinda have the same thing and it secretly scares me to death. When it happens to me it feels like my heart flutters but it also (hard to explain) almost takes my breath away for a split second. Almost like when you have the wind knocked out of you and can't breath?? I did mention it to a doctor once a few years ago and they did an EKG, it was normal. But I still have that sensation ocassionally and it really scares me! AND....I also worried to myself...what if something is really wrong....what will happen during delivery?? Mine has been going on for a few years, but comes and goes. It seems like when it happens it will happen a lot during like one week, then might not happen again for a few months! Weird...let me know if you figure out what yours is!
  • Palpitations are common during pregnancy because of the increases blood flow and shouldnt harm you or the baby. In my first pregnancy I wore a heart monitor for 48 hrs because I was having so many palpitaions, but everything was just fine. Went away after my son was delivered. Iron deficiencies can also cause palpitations, so be sure you are getting enough iron in your prenatal.
  • edited May 2011
    Sunshine25. Hi! Well I have the exact same thing. The feeling that your heart can't keep up is likely stress/anxiety related. You're worrying a lot. Anxiety can make you feel like your heart is going to give up at any moment, but of course it never actually does. Also, the fluttering is not necessarily in your heart. I have the same but its actually from acid reflux, which became much worse during pregnancy. you are asking a lot of What if questions, and so my guess Is just sheer anxiety which is why the tests concluded nothing. Do some research on anxiety and what if thinking and you'll see what I mean.
  • http://www.anxietyguru.net/ I found this site which may be a good jumping point for you.
  • @baileygoose. I believe the info above would benefit you as well.
  • @baileygoose yes, that sounds very similar! The ones that last a couple seconds longer actual give me a strange sensation all over that I may pass out too. Maybe not pass out, it's so hard to describe. Did it happen more while you were pregnant? Are you still pregnant?

@new_baby_in_oct thank you very much for the info, I hope that is all it is with me!!! Btw, I'm due the 24th, how bout u?

@techgirlpa Thanks for the info, but I don't think it is anxiety with me. It happens at different times, varying from when I'm having a great time hanging out with friends to while I am at work to laying down cuddling with my fiance. I also have had panic attacks in the past, and they are very different from this sensation. Ty so much for the info!
  • @sunshine25 Yes I am still pregnant, just 14 weeks, but no it has not been happening more since I've been pregnant. I guess I haven't noticed it for awhile now, but that's what happens-it comes & goes. I don't think mine is anxiety related either. My life will be good as gold, no worries...a lot of times it would happen when I would even be laying down on the couch or would just wake up from a nap?? It's weird. Who knows!
  • It might be Anxiety, ive had it for years... i used to always check my pulse, and sometimes i still do, my hubs used to always catch me doing it...or it might not be your heart...i get that winded feeling too but its because of nerve damage...and it twitches..i thought it was my heart..but everyones body is different..
  • I get the same thing!! I am not sure what it is ether! I went and had a EKG and a echocardiogram done and they both came back normal! I do have anxiety issues but I feel like flutters all the time and I get lightheaded! I find if I eat a banana the heart flutters or palpations go away!! Try a banana and see if that helps!! Is your heart rate high? Mine is 140-160bpm and my doctor said its normal for your heart rate to increase but I dont think it should have increased this much!