how do you all feel about home birth??

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Homebirthadvocate I'm mostly afraid of dealing with the pain. I know epidural slows contractions and I don't want pitocin.... but Omg I'm not sure I could handle it. R contractions sharp or dull aching pain.??
  • The tub helps soooo much with contractions. My doula had me float. So I was basically weightless with no tension in my body. It made contractions feel like they weren't even coming!! I am really hoping to have a water birth at the hospital this time. They don't normally do them "because there is no protocal for them" (according to one of the labor nurses) but my midwife and doulas said they would back me up if I refused to get out of the tub. This will be my first birth that I am actually aloud to refuse certain interventions.

The beauty of a homebirth in my opinion is 1) they are less expensive (by thousands of dollars) 2) you get to bond with your baby immediately in your own home 3) everyone can go to sleep in your own bed after the baby's born. 4)its cleaner 5) there is no transition from the hospital to your home.
  • @blissmarie23 what do u mean 'aloud to refuse' if I don't want a drug, they can't hold me down and force me right?
  • Home birth is definitely not for me. Even if you are not high risk you never know when an emergency would happen that would require more than what a midwife can do. For both of my births I was glad to be at a hospital because the first time I needed a blood transfusion and the second time I needed an emergency cesarean.
  • A trained midwife would know and see danger of any kind to mama/baby and would immediately transport to hospital if she couldn't take care of it.
  • @Carrielee from wit I've been reading it was most likely the hospitals fault for ur c section.....that what scares me.
  • me too, @nicoleok87 ! that's why i am so glad i have the birthing center with midwives in the hopsital, and my doula, and they are supportive of my "no drugs, no induction" plan. they don't even want us to come in until we are in active labor!
  • I have had had natural birth with my first 3 children (no pain meds). My first 2 were in the hospital, the second was induced. My third was a homebirth. I ended up delivering before my midewife got there; she had seen me earlier that day for our appointment & was coming back after a class, but my water broke & I gave birth. She arrived 10 minutes or so later. I was in labor for 52 hours that time, but it still was the most amazing birth I have had. I was going to do it again with my 4th but I ended very ill with H1N1 & pneumonia, so I had an emergency c-section. I STILL have pain from the incision almost 2 years later. I am high risk, have been with every pregnancy, but I am still going with a homebirth this time around as well. I was nervous & scared at first, but once I did it, I never regretted a single second of it. I was at home, comfortable, didn't worry about my older kids, it wasn't messy at all. We have weighed the options this time & are doing a homebirth because we have 5 other children, this is our last & I want it to me as comfortable as possible considering my extensive hospital stay with the last baby. I agree with @HomeBirthAdvocate it truly is an amazing experience & the midwife makes things easy, nice & clean.
  • Hay everyone. I posted on another post about pitocin and what happened during my daughters birth. My partner and I Have decided to do a birthing plan so that things at the hospital Have to go as I say (we Have no birthing centers remotely close). I think everyone should do a birthing plan so a hospital has to ask you before they give you anything. Drugs like pitocin can make labor a lot more painful and it should be your choice.
  • @TechGirlPa what was the thread called, or when did you post it? i am interested to know your story.
  • I think its weird but if you can do it all the more power to you...I might think about it on my second child but this is my first and I want to be in a hospital just incase anything would go wrong...I have no idea what to expect with birth plus I'm counting on my epidural lol
  • If I could get an epidural at home I would jump all over. I have been cut with both of my boys so I like the epidural!
  • Personally, a home birth is scary. Especially after what I went through with my first. You never know what could go wrong. Best of luck to those who do it!
  • @Nicoleok87 with my first labor they did basically force me to get a pitocin induction. They didn't hold my arm down but verbally refuse to let me leave the hosptal, eat, or go home and take a nap even though i'd been up all night :( because of the pitocin I wasn't able to get up and move around as much as i'd hoped. When I got to the point of pushing the nurses "broke down the bed" and put up the squat bar so I could squat to deliver. The OB instructed 6 nurses to pick me up and lay me on my back in the bed as I was having a contraction and pushing. I tore on my labia with that labor. I refused to see that OB again and warn people about that practice. The next birth I had I was able to labor and push in a way that was comfortable for me and pushed out a baby that was 2 lbs heavier without tearing. It was a dramatically different experience and I had MUCH different recovery times being able to labor the way my body wanted to without augmentations.
  • The kicker too was right before they did all this the OB mandated "no cameras" she knew she wasn't acting in my interest but hers.
  • Well that's bullshit! I intend to make it very clear wherever I give birth that during before and after I'm nobody's prisoner. Haha! Id like to see them try to make me do something!
  • @nicoleok87 in thinking about it after it had happened I was really mad but you're vulnerable in labor. So I think its really important to have a trustworthy care provider that listens to you and you get along with.
  • Definitely! I will