Pregnancy and mental health

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
Hi all,
i am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby, unfortunatly i suffered from extreme post natal depression after my 1st and am terrified of relapsing after this birth. just wondering if anyone else has mental health problems or can share any storys. would be great having some one to talk to about it. hope all your pregnancys are going great :-)

Comments

• i had post natal depression after my first which then led to me having depression on and off for 13yrs, after my 2nd baby i had a touch of baby blues for a few days but not depression, im now on my 3rd and over the past year my depression has been really bad so im worried this time round aswell but my midwife has assured me there is now ALOT of support for people like us, im sure you will be fine :)
  • I have post traumatic stress n depression really bad have sense I was 15 when saw my 9 yr old cousin get hit n killed by a car :( after that I lost four friends in the next two months n three family members. I can't relate to it due to child birth yet but I'm afraid ill know soon enough its hard to deal with but it is manageable n there is always a light at the end of the tunnel just hard to get to it sometimes. I'm always here if u need someone to talk to :)
  • Hi ladies. Sometimes depression right after birth can be caused by the post traumatic stress of the labor itself. This happened to me with my daughter and I was extremely anxious and depressed. I was induced and the pitocin made my contractions so fast and hard that I couldn't breathe enough and I went in and out of consciousness during her delivery. It was a terrible experience. Basically with this baby I am doing a birthing plan so that my wishes for a natural labor will have to be followed. I was fifteen when I was induced with my daughter. The more trauma you experience the more likely you are to experience mood shifts. A very good friend of mine is a psychologist who has helped many people through the same.
  • Hi all, thanks for the relpys. nice to know im not the only one to have experienced this. @techgirlpa i was also induced with my 1st and my contractions were instant and coming thick and fast, my labour was only 2 and half hours so i didnt register it at all. i have to be induced again with this baby so i have to be monitored closely. when are you all due? how far along are you? xx
  • @Englishrose. Hay. We will be 20 weeks on Sunday.. almost over the hump!

Wow two hours!! We do you have to he induced?
  • This is my first baby And I have a HUGE worry about this. I have major anxiety and depression issues and I so don't want to feel like that after having my baby. It's something I think about A LOT!
  • @techgirlpa i have to be induced as im on medication that has to be stopped the night before i go into labour so they have to plan it, also they said the likely hood is my labour will be quicker lol. tad scared about it. do you know what your having yet??

@musicmomma i know its easier said that done but try not to worry about how you are going to feel after you have the baby thats what im trying to do.. hopely as soon as you hold your little baby all those thoughts will just go away. always here if you need to talk :-)
  • I wrry bout it to @musicmomma I also suffer from depression and anxiety
    Im glad deres ladies on here dat have been thru already! Idk how much support I'll have during labor or who I wld turn to if I were to get dis way
  • @Englishrose. Well the reason they say its quicker is because the meds make contractions a lot faster and harder. However, every labor is different and I've even read a lot of stories about it making it take longer because the baby just isn't ready yet. I Don't want to scare you and some women don't feel the affects like others, so Its just gonna depend on you and your body. My personal experience was terrible and was scheduled so the Dr could go on vacation. Are you going to have an epidural or anything?

We find out on the 23rd what our baby is for sure at 21 weeks.
  • edited May 2011
    1stTimeMommy. Do you do yoga? If not you may want to look into it as the breathing in yoga and strength it gives your body during pregnancy and labor would benefit you greatly. I know a good video by Crunch, which I think may be called Yoga Mamma even has you do kaegels, but the routine is easy enough for a beginner. Yoga and breathing is invaluable when dealing with anxiety.
  • I also have ptsd but from childhood not from loosing anyone. I have major depression. Discovered it in highschool. Thought I was better. After my 1st I just had baby blues. My 2nd I had post partum depression. But didn't really get medicaided for it. This one I am worried about it cuz this year has been bad for my depression. I'm only 7w today so I have a long time. I plan on getting medication after delivery and trying therpy during pregnancy. Good luck to all of you. Its nice to know I'm not the only one.