$1473.92

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
That is the amount that my hubby and I will be saving in just the first six months after my daughter is born by using cloth diapers and breastfeeding :)
I'm very excited!

Comments

• wow o.o i should do the same, thats alot of money saved
  • @janet_2011 my calculations is with the cheapest formula n diapers too. :)
  • @seifer12211 ok thanks for the info, i might give it a try , mostly with how the economy is now a days
  • That is awesome....I will be breastfeeding but did not do the research on disposable diapers. What kind are you using?
  • How did the party go???
  • Im definitely all for free breast milk but I just don't think I could stomach cloth diapers. You're a much braver woman than I! ;)
  • That's fantastic!
  • one of my friendare cloth diaper crazy! she keeps trying to get me in to it. but i keep telling her no thanks. i already do to much laundry and it easier to throw diapers away! but good for you!! i wish you luck!
  • Where I live to get the cloth diapers washed it is more expesive than disposable!!! But I will be nursing :))"
  • Yay me too! I cloth diaper and breastfeed. Incredible savings and not as difficult as many people think :).
  • I've had my girlie home for 3 days and have done enough laundry to make cloth diapers worth it... we may switch
  • @wendylouwhoo I'm going to be using cloth diapers called econobumz.

@mrs_shu the party was great! Some of my family came and they were so impressed with these diapers that 5 were bought for me :) I got to feel and touch and play with different types it was neat. I got a few catalogs for me to look at too

@rockinmomma lol I've been a nurse-aide for 4 yrs- I figure if I can change elderly a baby is no prob :)

@blueberrysmom :D

@proudmommy8789 lol I dont know anyone personally that cloth diapers, or even a friend that bf. They don't seem too bad bout the laundry for me, tho time will tell :D and thanks!

@myasmommy2009 ya I dunno of diaper services, but for bf- I was so surprised to hear how long a baby can be nourished just from breast milk. Then to see formula prices I was just amazed how high they were (not knockin formula tho)

@onemoreontheway your the go-to-mama on the cloth diaper thread on here right? :D I am so excited to try it out and get diff types :) is it ok if I ask u for info or advice down the road. i dunno anyone who uses em

@maggie congratulations! Awe whats her name? And lots of laundry already?

• Yeah you can ask me about them. We have been using them for 2 years with our first son and we will use them with this baby (coming wednesday!) until potty training also. You will learn more as you use them and which kinds and brands work for your family. It is somehow always exciting to try a new brand lol :)
  • @onemoreontheway awesome :) bet u cant wait for weds! My lil girl will be here by the 23rd :D we bought a start up kit to have and get started (econobumz). And I wanna buy a bumgenious or kissluvs on payday. I really was surprised with what all is offered and thank you! I will prob have a few questions lol. Oh did u have few diaper rashes if any with your son?
  • the 23rd is right around the corner :). I love bumgenius lol. my son has very sensitive skin but we didn't have any diaper rash problems until he was about 18 months and he had the flu lol. We used disposables while he was sick. Then when he was done with the diareah we switched back to cloth. His butt was still rashy so we used corn starch to make a barrier between his diaper and butt. He was fine a couple days later. They say not to use rash creams except when really necessary bc it can break down the fabric.
  • @onemoreontheway awe poor lil guy. And I didnt know that bout diaper rash ointments. Probably the zinc oxide maybe. I kno we wont go 100% cloth (like if were out all day with family at the lake or vacation) but most the time :) did u use a wetbag? If so does it really hide odors?
  • edited June 2011
    A question .... do they take into consideration water n electric bills laundry soap n time it costs to wash the diapers regularly ....
  • Heres the website for the diaper lady company that came to my house.

http://www.everythingbirth.com/Cloth-Diapers.html

I'm not sure of prices but thats what I got so far
  • I Just do the "extreme couponing" thing with diapers and get huggies for dirt cheap!
  • @ghettobetty the increase in water use from laundry is very minimal, only one extra load of laundry every two days...you can use All detergent costs the same as most other brands.
  • edited June 2011
    We dont use a wetbag, it seems more difficult to me but idk bc I have never tried it. We dont have any problems with diaper pail odor. We have a presoak option on our washer, do we presoak in cold water. Then we use cold/hot for our wash cycle and don't have lingering odors. The cold is supposed to help with odors. We use disposables during vacations too, I dont wasnt to come home from vaca with dirty diapers :)
  • I already use purex I'm cheap and I use unscented and to have to do an extra load of laundry plus extra cleaning involved with a family of 5 already hardly seems worth it and far too time consuming.
  • @ghettobetty I dont mind extra laundry every few days but I'll be a SAHM for atleast the first yr of my daughters life. Makes sense to use disposables if its more convienent for you :)

@kyliemommie that's a good idea, to each their own :) I had a hard time finding diaper coupons tho
  • @onemoreontheway okey doke. I didnt but a wet bag and glad I didnt. Where do u get ur diapers from
  • If I was a sahm minus all the extras I have with my other kids sports school exct. I would possibly consider it. I'm not even breastfeeding this one as long as I did my last because of the time it takes to feed n pump don't get me started on pumps LOL .... for those who have the time great! I find cloth diapers more environment friendly and love the bond of breastfeeding just don't like having baby chained to my boob after my life starts back up again like when I go back to work :)
  • @ghettobetty that makes sense. I'm still learning a lot as I was only 16, 6 yrs ago when I had my son plus so much has changed. :)
  • I had my first at 16 too :) 5 years later had my daughter and now 5 more years n another boy. Good luck!
  • @ghettobetty yeah both are much easier when you are a sahm. I probably wouldn't do either if I weren't.
  • I get my bumgenius from www.cottonbabies.com they sometimes have special offers going on. It's a great site. They have great info and all kinds of diapers/brands. I have recently invested in sunbaby diapers for our newborn www.sunbabydiapers.com. They are super inexpensive.