anyone else had to have a glucose test

edited February 2011 in Pregnant
Im 24weeks pregnant and have to go for a glucose test in the mornin! Its gonna take 2 1/2 hrs and i cant eat anythin from 9pm tonight until after i have had it! Im just worried as i suffer from mornin sickness still and if i dont eat first thing i feel really dizzy any one know what i can do?

Comments

• They told me I couldn't eat after midnight with mine. I got mine done last week. They said I could drink water before just not during. I was really hungry and it didn't help that my husband was eat a sandwich on the way to the ob
  • I'll have mine at my next app. But they sent me home with the drink at my last appointment with instructions. I just can't eat anything in the hour before. I couldn't imagine drinking that awful, sugary crap on an empty stomach.
  • Yeah it was pretty bad. Thankfully I didn't throw up but they make you drink it in five minutes
  • My mother in law tells me that peanut butter helps with morning sickness cuz it sticks in your stomache so maybe have some peanut butter before bed?
  • I'm 24wks and still haven't done mine, but my friend has the same dr and they said no eating past like mid night and u have to come on an empty stomach but u can take your prenatals if u can stand those on an empty stomach lol
  • I had mine done early because I had symptoms they were worried about. I didn't know I was having it done till 5 minutes before they did it. I started crying because it made me feel so sick.
  • I have mine tomorrow too. I'm so dreading it. They told me not to eat after midnight. I still get really nauseous in thee morning if I don't eat so tomorrow should be loads of fun (extreme sarcasm)
  • yeah im just worried as there hasnt been a day i havent been sick first thing in the morning for well over a month! and the thought of going there drinkin the nasty stuff on an empty stomach makes me wanna cry! i hate all sugary drinks as it is so really not happy and not looking forward to tomorrow:(
  • @denois what time is your appt?
  • the letter i got said they will take blood at 9am then i have to sit for 2 hours in the waiting room! cant eat or drink n e thin other than the drink they give me! then i have to have more bloods take about 11.15am! i wake up most mornings at like 5.30am so its gonna be a long morning with an empty stomach:(
  • Mine is at 8am. Trust me I feel your pain. It may sound strange but I will be thinking of you while I'm sitting in the waiting room. I hope that we can both get through it with as minimal discomfort as possible. Believe me, I've already cried about it. My fiance (bless him) just let me get it out and told me it would be ok, but the thought of that sugary stuff on an empty stomach is so overwhelming.
  • @denois you'll get through it. We all have to do it and it does really suck, but just hang in there. And take a snack with you so you can eat right after the
  • @MrsHudson10 yeah i will be thinkin of u to! really hope it goes ok for u:)
    @new_baby_in_oct yeah i know it sucks i just keep thinking to my self its just one morning out my life i will get through it!
  • I did mine 2 weeks ago.
    .honestly I thought my drink tasted like orange hi c...it was good
  • When do you usually do the glucose test?...
  • @heatherlynn anywhere from 24 wks to 28 wks but they said they can't do it after 28 wks. Sometimes they do them sooner if they see a lot of sugar in your labwork
  • ooh wow, so mine is coming up @ anytime...def not looking forward to it, cuz if i dont eat, i get SICK! And if i eat/drink something too sweet (even a banana) without anything else, i get sick feeling as well...ah we shall see hahahah
  • I have no restrictions on my one hour test, with this one or my daughter, just no sweets but I can still eat up until I drink the stuff, then wait an hour and get my blood taken and on my way.
  • I haven't had my glucose test yet I'm only 19 weeks I'm not looking forward to it. This is my third pregnancy but I have a new Dr since we live in a new state. But when I took the test before they said I could eat all the way up till I drank that nasty stuff. With my first I threw some if it up with like 5 mins left for them to take my blood they said I had to come back and take it again I was so mad. Last pregnancy they said all I had to do was drink it and could leave for the hr just couldn't be late and couldn't eat anything so I left and went shopping
  • I just had mine but they said I could eat before just nothing very sweet. Also I had to stay there for an hour after drinking the drink.
  • I asked when they had me sitting y do they have u sit for so long. She told me well for one thing we know ur prego n u prolly ate anyway, so your really waiting for ur glucose to go back down. The test will be kinda false if they trusted the fact that u didnt eat
  • Yea my next appt I am goin to get it done I heard its taste like soda LOL
  • They have to be sure. Ur glucose can be serious. Test wrongthey might mess round think u have gestational diabetes. I dont know if spelt that right
  • Flat orange pop. Is how it taste. To me
  • It looks like juice but taste so nasty. I have asked every time if I can't eat they said no you can eat just not for the hr after u drank that stuff. I never had a problem I went to different locations also because of the hrs they all said the same to me
  • I have mine next week and they said I could eat breakfast as long as its not sugary
  • Yeah it tastes like flat orange soda mixed with smart tarts lol thankfully it was cold
  • I have my test in 2wks... The thought of not eatn... Im always freaking hungry... lol