I knew this was going to happen....

We've been planning my baby shower for a while now and it's still a long way off. I have 150 invitations going out and so far, approximately 60 people have RSVP'd (they received Facebook invitations, because they were on my friends list) . I have such a childish family, it's not even funny, so I even went out of my way to send invites to approximately 30 people (not included in the 150 count) that live out of state; I knew they wouldn't be able to make it, but I will send invitations, just to ensure that nobody gets left out or has their feelings hurt. Oh, but wait! My efforts have failed me, once again. Someone in the fiance's family still ended up with harsh feelings over the whole situation but I swear, I tried to include everyone. The problem is, I haven't met about 3/4 of his family, so I'm not totally sure who all I should be inviting. Evidently, one family member (who received and invitation) went running their mouth about the baby shower to another family member (who had not received one) and sh!t hit the fan, a million miles a minute. I'm talking, phone calls, yelling and complaining, blocking each other on Facebook...I NEVER meant to cause such an ordeal---I was trying to invite everyone. I STILL HAVEN'T EVEN SENT OUT ALL OF MY FORMAL INVITATIONS, YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, this wouldn't all be an issue if it weren't for my fiance's ex-wife and her stupidity hadn't come in and ripped this family apart. Some of you have had the chance to hear about it, while others haven't...so here's the basic run-down.
Hubby-to-be married his fiance back in 2009 and they had a little girl. During this time period, she was spinning a sneaky little web. She cheated on him constantly, with 7 different guys (that we know of)...she was caught, each time. His family, being as close as they all are, of course, had hard feelings toward her for what she was putting him through. She caused fights in the family, terrible things were said...it was just a complete and total mess. So, of course, that's the mess I got to come in and clean up. Obviously his family was a little skeptical about me coming into the family and doing the same things. I WOULD NEVER...and I have worked to prove myself to them...

I feel so bad, now, that there are hurt feelings over my baby shower, I don't know what to think. I even invited his ex-wife (and am more than willing to be civil) so that he could spend a little extra time with his little girl. I'm trying so hard to be everything that she WASN'T for him and now that all of this drama has been stirred up, I feel like they think I'm trying to rip them apart all over again... **sighs** Why is it that my efforts always fail me and I can't seem to get anything right??? I'm telling them all, UP FRONT, that if this childish sh!t doesn't stop before my baby shower, those starting/taking part in the drama will 1) Be asked to NOT show up at the baby shower and 2) Forced to leave, if they decide to show up...It's not fair to make everyone miserable over something so stupid...
Is there something I should have done that I didn't? Something that I could have done to avoid the drama?

Comments

• Im sorry! I was scared about that happening for my wedding.. I say send that person an invite and if they are still mad about it then too bad.. Your only doing the best you can :) good luck
  • The only thing I can see that you did wrong is trying to please everyone, you can never make everyone happy. Just let it go, let them be petty and let the fire die down on its own. I could hardly imagine that a baby shower invite will truly devestate your relationship with his family. Its only a big deal now because the wound is fresh. Just focus on you and your family and pay no mind to that mess, it will all work out the way its supposed to :)
  • Thanks ladies.
    It's been an absolute mess, that's for sure. My MIL-to-Be's phone is ringing off the hook...the girl who started the whole mess, the one who was hurt, all the family in between.
    It would be different if all of the invited had already been sent out, but they haven't. It's still a work in progress. I'm designing my own invitations and printing them out...that's a LOT of time, printer ink and imagination...plus, I'm having to address them and put stamps on them, individually...I'm not Super Mommy, quite yet...I mean, geez!! Give me a break. I'm doing the best I can.
  • Someone should have been planning your shower for you...
  • edited June 2011
    I don't think you did anything wrong. Obviously if you haven't even met the people its not like you intentionally left them out. And 100+ invitations is a lot to keep track of especially with a pregnant brain (atleast if yours is like mine). I agree with everybody above...just apologize, send the crazy lady an invite and move on. Don't worry about it, you didn't do it on purpose.