CIRCUMCISION,, who does the procedure? do they do it when he os born? i'm clueless ;(

edited June 2011 in September 2011
Hello ladies, I'm due September 11th with a baby boy, & I was wondering who does the circumcision procedure? When do they do it? Because I want it done right away when he is born, & is it a long procedure?

Comments

• The doctor does it. They normally do it the morning after when they do all the other tests. Its not long at all
  • It takes a few minutes. They usually take him out of the room for a few minutes and then bring him back in. It's not done immediately, though, and they probably won't be willing to do it right away. It's not your doctor who does it, it's your pediatrician, and they usually only come in for a minute or two the first day and then come back the next day to check the baby out.
  • edited June 2011
    My obgyn did it after he was checked by the peditrician which was the next day
  • Thank you ladies, I guess its different everywhere, obgyn & pediatrician does it, I will just have to ask my OB at my next appointment, hopefully she'll do the procedure ;)
  • Mine got theirs done day after they were born. It was quick. It sounds sad and scary but its ok;) they will show u how to care for it too. I always put extra vasoline on the diaper where is penis touched so it wouldn't stick. Its usually healed within a few days;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The dr did my sons circuimcision the day we were discharged from hospital
  • they do it at the hospital..
  • You have to choose a dr to do it...not many doctors here come to the hospital to do it anymore (around here anyways)..so I had to find one that did. The pediatrician that's doing my son's isn't even going to be his regular ped...so I have to let the hospital know that there will be 2 diff peds checkin him out when he's born...
  • My midwife doesn't do them so she had to get one of the obs to do it. They do it the day after baby is born and after pediatrician has checked the baby.
  • I live in CA an my baby was sent to a ped. Within 10 days. I had to come up with the $150 to do it cuz its not a necessary procedure if we waited til after he was ten pounds they charged $2000. I usedlots of vaseline as well on all 3 boys I put it on their diapers rather than directly on their penis. I watched all 3 procedures it was quick an they say baby only cries cuz they r being held down.
  • When my son was born the ped at the hospital was a strange foreign dr and refused to do it. A week later we took him to a urologist who turned out to be some new age dr who didn't believe in it. By the time we got him to a ped who would do it (about a month) he said he was too old and we would have to wait until he's old enough to be put to sleep. We had to wait until he was a year old before we could get it done!! Hope no one else has to go through that!!
  • Thank you ladies, I talked to my OB & she does the procedure