So we decided to do it...

Comments

• Wow my husband must be lucky then cause he has 9 hour days and when him or I go to the doc we are in and out and hes not in uniform when we go. And didnt wait long to get my id. It could also be the base we are at. Its very laid back and everyone is friendly
  • @proudmommy8789 are you at a big base??

I had to wait two hours to take a pee test once. Btw i was three months prego. I waited four and half hours for my id card and going shopping on base is cheaper but omg..... It takes forever
  • My husband just left for basic training for the army.. he wanted to do airforce but the army offered more for him to be able to take care of me.. the airforce is picky.. so don't be offended if they say no.. also depending on his job will depend on if he gets deloyed.. my ex boyfriend joined the airforce and did an 18 month tour 6 months in 3 different places with 2 week leaves in between and it sucked.. big time.. now here I am going through the same thing with my husband and the army. Its tough but hold on you will get through it.. I had 5 months to prepare and it still felt like it wasn't long enough but now we are getting letters to each other daily and it works. I look forward to seeing him in 6 weeks and can't wait to start trying for a baby again.. we are here for you if you need us
  • My husband is retired Marine Corps and the saying "if the marine corps wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one" is totally true. Not all "retired" people on bases are old as is evident by my almost 30 year old husband. Yes, he is retired from the marine corps since last year. He was medically retired. Being a military wife is not easy but there are a lot of benefits and resources at your disposal. Don't go to the commissary on pay day or payday weekend, you will regret it, trust me. You will probably get to see places you never thought you would and that is amazing, being away from family isn't. You sort of gain a new family in the military though. My husbands misses his "brothers" like it was going out of style. Get signed up with DEERS and tricare as soon as possible. Getting married will be of great benefit to you all because he gets more in benefits (like housing) and separation pay when he gets deployed. Sorry this post is all over the place, just adding things as I think of them.

That is all I can think of for now.

Oh and ladies, please don't say one branch treats you like a human any more than the others, that is simply not true. My husband was a marine for over 10 years and never felt like a number or as if he was treated like anything other than human and a marine.

Most of all, good luck to you, your husband and your family!
  • My husband has been in almost 4 years now and at times it gets hard with the whole being away for training and deployments but there is also a pride that comes along with it. You know they are always going to have a paycheck, a house and some of the best insurance. It will be a big change sometimes you might wonder if you made the right choice but when it comes with the military you kind of another family. It will work out just remember to be their biggest supporter
  • @jadabello7 I planned on it. I know this if just as hard of a decision for him. I love him and support him.
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @gatorbob yay for your bil glad he came home. And thanks if the other families are like pregly I think I will be fine. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @gatorbob I will. Thank you so much you have made me feel more secure in my decision and I will if anything comes up. :'( you ladies are so wonderful.
  • My hubby is in the navy and we are on our last deployment. It's a tough life style to get used to but i love it now! Of you have any questions or anything don't hesitate to message me!
  • @Kindall yeah we are. The base we are at is eglin afb. its a testing/maintenance base
  • Good luck sweetie! Its gonna take blood, sweat, and tears from both of you but I know you can do it.

This is our first child, but military life was hard for me as a child.....i held resentment towards my father for missing alot of my childhood milestones. But I now understand and appreciate the sacrifice my father made for our family and this country.

Congrats.
  • hubby is joining the army next month. he actually signed up in jan n pass all test but due to us finding out im prego we waited. now hes going back to tell them hes ready next month n im going to b pissed if he misses the birth of our baby if hes in bootcamp already. :( n the thought of leaving my family behind n not being able to share my bundle of joy with family when shes here it hurts. im not ready to move n I actually dont want hubby to join!!!
  • Congrats on your decision and good luck!!
  • Also my husband deals with a lot of remains from the war. Im not trying to scare you but i wouldnt feel right not trying you. Most of the times its marines or army, very few navy or airforce!
  • @almost4, aww thank u for ur uplifting words :) I mean I want to be a supporting wife but he wants to go fight the war :( maybe if he joined after baby is born it would give the family more time to bond with our baby. I dont live with my parents but I see them two or three times a month n to think of leaving my family breaks my heart. im 29 its not that im a kid I just never been to far to where I cant see them. they were supposed to ship him out in march of this yr to Ga to fort benning. thas so far :( but im gona see how it goes bc hubby is really excited about the army and thank u again.
  • I'm a marine wife n mommy
  • My fiance just got our of the army after serving 7 years. My advice to you to give him is to pick an MOS that will serve him well in civilian life if he's not planning to retire from the military. Fiance chose to be an airborne combat engineer which really doesn't help outside of the military. It's def a tough situation but you'll be so proud of him serving. It takes special people to enlist in the military. I know I couldn't do it. You just have to be strong for him and be an ear for him to vent and also be ready for long work days and duty days. I luckily only went through one 'deployment' when he was in korea for a yr (he also served a yr in afghanistan before we were together) and letters and emails will keep his spirit up. it's the little things they enjoy def take lots of pictures of baby. Good luck :)
  • I would say don't do it....only because the benefits r not all that great the VA hospital still charges a co pay as regular insurance n u pay for ur meds....unless his only passion is fighting for our country and not to benefit financially much...then I say go for it....cuz we were so dissapointed and risked allot to now be left with regret..
  • The recruitors promise greatness with all there hype but don't tell u about all the red tape....and that there's a certain level and senority u have to obtain before getting each benefit....u as awife don't expect nothing but health insurance that ur better going threw medical or private insurance....sucks but that's wut these guys r going threw
  • @lorinrene we were promised a lot of things, and we will get those things or we won't sign. Along with the bonus and money. He really wants to do it, I am very anti government so that is why out has never been brought up until we got into this situation, we are basically living off wic checks and change/cans. Jobs are so scarce right now we need the steady pay check. If it was only for the money then we wouldn't do it, but he wants to and like I said I supper him 100%.
  • And before anybody says anything my mom is paying my cell phone bill from leftover tax money cuz she accidentally claimed me.
  • It'll be ok :) my hubby joined to get rid of some med school loans and though basic training was rough, it has been really good for us...we did get opposition from our families but it has brought us closer. Our benefits are good, I haven't seen a copay yet for anything, maybe it depends on what plan you're on. As for the promises and whatever, go into it knowing if it is too good to be true it probably is. As a military wife, I've been embraced by our new community of service people and you will have a support system like no other :) good luck, be strong, all will be well! Let us know if you need anything!!!!!
  • I think its great! I served 10 years in the Air Force and felt honored to serve my country.
    Its definitely a lifestyle where you as a wife will have to be flexible and supportive, but I'm sure you eill have no problem with that! :)
    The only other advice I have is in regards to the recruiters. They do tell you almost anything to get you to join. Make sure he has his career field, or MOS picked out and guaranteed before he goes forward to basic training. He is an example, I knew people who wanted to be say, nurses. WELL at the time there may have been no nurse slots available. The recruiter says, hy go in with an "open general" career field and when you finish basic training there will be nurse openings! This isn't the case. Everyone I know who went in that way ended up being a job that they didn't want. So, the whole point is, if he wants somethin specific it is worth the wait, I promise. Sorry that is so long.
    As for the bonuses, just know they won't probably come in until he is completely done with training. It is good money and good incentive though!
    Again, that's great and congrats! Its a good lifestyle not to mention the free benefits. :)
  • I was 5 months pregnant when I found out my husband was deploying and had to give birth with him on the phone so it does have its hard times. It took my daughter awhile to get used to him because she was only 2weeks old when he came home for r&r and 9 months old when he came home for good. you just have to keep your head up and remember they won't be gone forever and keep yourself busy.
  • I'm a Marine wife. He was deployed during the birth of our daughter. I hate being away from my family. And most of the wives are shady down here! We're stationed in SC. My husband gets out in January and I can't wait!!! The military life is not for me or what's best for our family right now. It does have it's benefits but you also have to sacrifice A LOT.
  • I'm going to be an air force mom...flexibility is key when married to the military. My husband is leaving for a year 2 weeks after out son is due. You learn to live the life and deal with what they give you. I wish you the best of luck, joining is a great decision...I don't regret one second and I'm almost at 5 years.