Ugh I hoped it wasnt too good to be true...

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
Ok long story short, I can't afford private health insurance even though I work, so I lied to Medicaid about my bf living with me because he makes too much for me to qualify. So they assume I live alone and never asked where he was. Well my sil told me that she did the same thing but when her son was born and her bf (my bfs brother) put his name on the birth certificate they immediately went after him to pay $3000 for the birth. And he ended up having to pay it. They let him make payments but wtf!! I don't want my bf to have to pay that! Is there anyway around this?? I can't call without blowing myself in and I need Medicaid for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm in new York if it helps...

Comments

• Im pretty sure no matter what he will have to pay it back pretty soon child support will contact you
  • That's how it goes. The father gets tuck with half the bill and medicaid takes care of ur half. It sux
  • Would there be anyway for his insurance to pay it?? He has good health insurance and we planned on putting our daughter on it when she's born anyway. But we aren't married so I can't use it.
  • Um I think the insurance might have to b set up before she's born and they'll probably want to do paternity tests also. My bf is setting ayvas up in august and she's due in septembr I can ask him to ask hr if they'll pay the hospital bill. I'm not sure tho
  • Oh crap.... Really? Cause I didnt tell them my bf lives here either. (Why else would they help) But I do plan on putting him on the birth certificate.
  • Ya if hesigns thebirth certificate he gets stuck with half the bill and where I live if u get food stamps they also do dna tests and have child support set up right away. I really hate the government. Grr. I for one refused food stamps because I don't believe the whole child support bullshit
  • Im in Texas.
    I had Medicaid with my daighter and put babys daddy on the bc and they didnt go after him.
    I had to file for childsupport myself.
  • Why hate the gov? They cannot be expected to support everyone.
  • I've applied for food stamps 2x already since moving here. I never included him because he is paying child support. I don't want them to up his child support because he is 'now on food stamps'. Really we don't make enough to live and eat, luckily we live with friends for now. I think I'll just give up applying for fs till she is born, then I will for sure get them. At least in Texas I know the rules, and the rules are much better there.

I hope medicaid doesn't come after him simply because I list him on the birth certificate, we aren't married, but I certainly know that he is the father.
  • Huh.. in Colorado your bd doesn't count unless you are married. He can live with you and make however much money he wants as long as you are not legally married. I don't know where you're from and it is different in every state but you may wanna dig a little deeper.
  • I've been denied both times, even being pregnant with no income. They tell me to apply for welfare, I told them no, I just want to eat. I dont want cash.
  • Ya in wi they do it for u. I don't entirely hate it. Just don't like how some things are done I guess. Not just medicaid stuff.
  • Wow that suucks.. its not like that here in illinois..
  • ya here the babys dad doesn't matter either until he signs the birth certificate then they go for childsupport and send him half the birthing bill. My bf is listed on my info but since we aren't married it is his income not ours
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm not sure what state ur in but in NY baby daddy pays it back whether ur living together or together or not. And child support as well.
  • O ha I'm scatter brained today
    Ur in NY lol
  • My bf's ex (we're all in nyc) gets all the assistance you can get. When their daughter was born, they weren't married yet. They got married a month later. (Nov 2009) Recently she went after him for child support (still married but separated) and he is now willingly paying it to the courts, for now on his own, eventually automatically. But the judge told him it will go directly to the state because she gets TANF and SSI.

I dont know what this means for him and I.. Maybe he will 'magically' be with me again.

I am still going to put him on the birth certificate, and he will be at the birth. We are much in love, no separating anytime soon.

I'm wondering if its different if you ONLY have medicaid vs medicaid and food stamps (some cases cash assistance too) ..
  • Can't he pay for your Dr visits? If he has a job, he's paying for it anyways through taxes. Everybody does. It's no good to be in the system if you don't need it. In Michigan, the father is responsible for the entire hospital bill if the mother is on assistance. And if you are investigated, YOU will have to pay for any assistance you received. :(
  • A hospital birth is more than I made working full time for an entire year, according to my taxes.
  • I only have medicaid and my bf will still get billed.
  • Your boyfriends insurance doesn't cover domestic parteners? I thought they were all going to that
  • @jazzi89 ugh I guess we'll just have to deal with it when we get there

@Caroline8_p I don't qualify for food stamps and I only qualified for Medicaid cuz I'm prego

@rockinmomma I'm in ny and they go by household no matter the relation

@ashleyfew it does suck :(

@kaylathering damn I knew it lol

@fate that would be extremely expensive. Unfortunately I'm one of many that makes too much to get much help, but not enough to afford everything on my own. If I didn't have Medicaid for this pregnancy I wouldn't be going to the Dr. I do need it.
  • @beaded_bunny I don't think so..
  • Ya its complicating lol.
  • For my bfs insurance u have to b married : / but ayva will be on his insurance
  • Why don't u just call n ask that if bd shows up n puts his name on will they hound him for half the bill make it sound like he crazy n u money hungry lol
  • @dra765 I thought about that lol
  • Yes, please call anonymously and ask a million questions!! Please, please, please! Then update me, cause I wanna know too! Lol

Don't even call from the phone number you provided, just in case!