hpv virus and cancer cells..

edited June 2011 in Second Trimester
I found out today. I had an abnormal papsmear and tested positive for hpv. some of the cells were unindentifiable and there is a possibility they could be cancerous :(

Comments

• aww hunny good luck my mom found out about her hpv (which became cervical cancer) and she beat it 6 months after delivering me and went on to have 2 more kids ( my rotten siblings lol) with it being caught there is such a huge chance of it being taken care of and u being ok
  • I had an abnormal pap when they did mine @ 10wks, and also treated postive for hpv. My dr did a colposcopy and a very small biopsy at 17wks. Everything came back fine though. They will retest me 6wks after my baby comes. I am 24wks tomorrow. I hope everything comes out ok for ya :) how many wks are you?
  • @stillsurprised I will be 13 weeks Thursday. she already has scheduled the other test
  • I have it' too. I actually had to have a cryo which is when they go in and burn cells or something but i actually do have the abnormal cells and i am supposed to have some kind of surgery because mine were cancerous once i have the baby.. but i got pregnant before i could have it so i was told it was ok to wait
  • Are you low grade or high grade?
  • @momma2bof4 I just had the exact thing happen to me. I am 12 weeks and 2 days. I have to go back at my 15 week appointment and there gonna take a scope and check. I'm worried because my mom and sister both had hpv and there's turned into cervical cancer. Keep me updated on your hone. I will be praying for you
  • I had that from age 15 when I was still a virgin to more recently just since being 21 I think I finally got normal test results. I am 23 now and my Dr said it could come back because of the changes my body is going through being pregnant. (and that cervical cancer runs in.my family). Technology is so good Today don't stress about it. Let your Dr be concerned for you until he/she says you need to be worried. Its just cells right now and they can chose to be normal again if they want too. :) good luck in your.pregnancy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was never told it was hpv I just assumed it to be the same thing because its cancerous cells in the cervix. There are so many types of hpv I assume it to be one of the strands that just develop.
  • it is the most common STD .. your immune system is supposed to be able to fight it off but I have a weak immune system. so my body just isn't strong enough to fight it off and my doctor says that 85% of men and women have had it at one point and just didn't know it @almost4
  • I hate how doctors treat this. Before that vaccine there were like 8 strains of hpv and now there are over 1000. My doctor described it as beeing so transmitable that any one you have been naked around in your whole life could have given it to you. Abnormal paps are pretty common in pregnancy and all abnormal paps are assumed hpv. The grade is what matters. I had this horrible ob once who did all of these biopsies and procedures.finally I was fed up and asked her what grade my pap was to warrant this. It was negative no abnormal cells it just said in my chart that I had hpv previously so she went to town in my vagina. All of her biopsies came back negative. She never actually tested to see if I have hpv still. I would suggest looking up the grade if its pre cancerous or above then def get it checked out but if its atypical cells of undetermined significance it can wait if you have displaysia then I would weigh the pros and cons. In fact normally they just wait 6 months any way I don't know why in pregnancy they jump all over it. Its not like they can do surgery and delivery usually getts rid of the top layer anyway. Sorry for the rant.
  • Hpv can be spread by contact so you can get it be rubbing up against some one. My hpv showed up after 3 years of being with the same man. So far all the paps I've had are normal. I also think that vaccination is crap and some youth might think they are protected but you can get it even if you use a condom. The vacc also only protects against 4 types