Opinions .. Is it better to have your kids close in age, or a couple years apart?

edited July 2011 in Just for Fun
This is my first child and I plan in having two. I just don't know if I want to wait or have my other one after this one.. any opinions?

Comments

• I think closer would be better or significantly apart. My sister and I were 4 years apart and fought like cats and dogs! This baby will be 8 years younger than the twins and I'm praying that this means they'll be more understanding and willing to help.
  • Well I'm on my first, if I had another baby I would love for them to be two or three years apart. That way the first gets all the time they need as a baby and then they will be close in age so they will have a better relationship.
  • i agree with booface,pretty close or a good amount apart. if they are close they are going to fight ,its just how kids are lol. but i am 11 years older than my sister and we have never had an argument or fight or evenharsh words to each other.my kids are all aprox. 2 years apart and it works out good as far as having them all in school close together and passing down clothes and such. mine are 12,10,8,5,3,1, and this one due sept. good luck and congrats :)
  • My toddler is two which is a horrible age to be pregnant during. I alternate between wishing I had gotten pregnant right away so everyone was closer in age. so diapers and toys could be shared or waited a few years more so Colt could have more single child one on one attention
  • i would rather only have one kid in diapers so at least two years apart but thats just me. my two will be 3 and a half years apart and i think that worked out perfect. i agree with sweetmama. its good to give the first time to be the baby and get all the attention
  • My first two are 10 years apart and it works out very well... they never fight and my oldest will play with my almost 3 year old. But this baby and my 3 year old will be 3 years apart and I've heard that works out well too.
  • I had my first 3 back to back. My oldes had just turned 3 and my second was 15 months when my daughter was born. It was very hard but I am glad they are so close together. I am pregnant with my 4th and last andd my other 3 will be 4,5,7 when she is born and I am glad to have a gap this time around :-)
  • My two will be almost 6 years a part. I like it gave me a chance to have me and my daughter time and now while she is at school I will have Weston and me time. Nina my daughter is so looking forward to being a big sister!!!
  • I agree with @booface either significant gap or close. My son was almost 8 when I had my second. There was never a competition between them, no fighting over toys, he was very helpful and not jealous at all. I then had my second daughter 18 months later. There are pros there too. My girls keep each other entertained... they are so close it isn't funny. But there is A LOT more fighting with my girls.
  • Well I would think a minimum of two years apart would be good. For several reasons. Like your body going back to normal, being able to give your baby attention it needs, and to think as well. My daughter is 8 my son is 3 and I'm alm/ost done with my pregnancy with number three. Just my opinion cuz it worked for me as well as letting me heal
  • My first two are 22 months apart and there will be over 2.5 years between #2 & #3! I like having my kids somewhat close together, my first two fight a little, but for the most part they are best friends! For hubby and I we wanted to have our kids, get done with baby and toddlerhood and be able to do stuff like vacations with our kids without having to take a baby.along
  • I waited until each until my first was out of diapers before trying for another baby. Same with my second. Diapers are expensive. Mine are 5 1/2 and 3.
  • @booface
    @sweetmama
    @snowflake
    @beaded_bunny
    @due_in_july
    @wallieheadbaby3
    @bigmamak
    @mylittleman2011
    @baby4injuly
    @kalikojenie
    Thank you ladies for your input, it does help alot. I don't want to give birth and get prego right after. I want to wait until my son is about 1 then try for number two. I want to see how its going to be since this is my first.
  • @Jbandno3
    Yes I have the same thought .. me and my fiance want to get it over and done with so well be able to do things and have fun with our children and not have to worry about babies
  • Mine will be a little over 3 yrs apart. I couldn't imagine having another while my son was younger.
  • My son is 5 and my baby girl is due in august I think thts a big difference I would've rather them be 3 yrs apart but oh well! I do like that he's sooo excited and wants to help with everything plus he had plenty of time to be babied :) and I tell him everyday he'll always be my baby!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I lived with my sister and I was the baby of the family until she had my neice and I hated my neice she was stealing my attention (I was nine when she had my neice) and I understand now but I hated it I would rather have my kids a couple years apart not big gaps. Well that was my sisters first child who is now turning 11 and my sister had her second child will be 3 years this month and them too fight just as much as me and my niece did.... I think it has something to do with her oldest being an only child for so long then having a new baby come in the picture and getting more attention sorry its so long
  • My kids will b 1yr and a half apart i had pland on waitn til my daughter wuz Atleast 2 b4 havin anotha baby but it didnt happen lik that.I dnt plan on havin ne more after this 1.
  • I was always afraid to have my kids so close together because my brother & I are 15 months apart, we fought like cats and dogs growing up, and to this day we still bicker, but we also are very close.
    My son is 6, and my daughter was just born and so far hes a help, a big one!
  • My kids will b 1yr and a half apart i had pland on waitn til my daughter wuz Atleast 2 b4 havin anotha baby but it didnt happen lik that.I dnt plan on havin ne more after this 1.
  • My daughter is 2(today) and I'm due Sept 1 with our boy..we plan on getting pregnant again when he is 1.
  • I have a teen son and tween daughter 5 years apart. They fight constantly. I thought spacing them out it would be easier. Jaden's 11 years younger so hopefully he gets treated better :)
  • Different things work for different families. If you're a close family, you will be regardless of age. I am the oldest of 3. I am 32, my brother is 26 and my sister is 15. We're all super close and relate very well despite being at very different points inour lives :)
  • There's going to be nearly 3 yrs between this baby and my son but I think that's a great age gap, I can't wait to see how protective and loving he is with his little brother. There's 2.5 yrs between me and one of my sisters and we get on really well have the same group of friends to. There's an almost 11 yrs gap between me and my youngest sister but that's not a bad age gap either, I'm close to her and she always stays at mine, and I always used to help out when she was a baby so a good thing for my parents then lol