how many weeks post partum did your period come back??

edited August 2011 in First time moms
My midwife told me to start taking the pill before I get my first period, but Idk when to expect it?? I'm 3wks postpartum and I still have very very light brown lochia, but hardly at all. So when did your period start? Oh and I wanna start the pill soon because I wanna.be protected when I'm ready to have sex again. ( which is now but I'm still scared lol)

Comments

• 1 yr (breastfeeding) and didnt use any birth control except condoms..
  • @bahamamama4828 oh wow, so breastfeeding delays it for that long?? I'm exclusively breastfeeding.
  • i didn't get one after my daughter because i got pregnant. so after my son it took 9 months. sorry, im not much of any help
  • not for everyone no it just depends on the person and/or how much you nurse. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html
  • @survivormommie3 yikes!! That's what I wanna avoid lol did you breastfeed your son?

@bahamamama4828 thanks I'm gonna check that out!
  • i only breastfed my son for almost 3 months. i had to quit due to infection and cancer treatments
  • @survivormommie3 Aw I'm sorry :(

@Bahamamama4828 I heard that breastfeeding could be used as birth control, but ever since I saw an episode of "I didn't know I was pregnant" where the girl got prego that way, it makes me nervous lol
  • I didnt get my for a little over a year too...also because I was breastfeeding. When I did get it again I completely forgot what it was like! Lol
  • Sunday I will be 4 weeks pp and I'm still bleeding! @ 3 weeks it was gone..just very light spotting fot a day then yesterday BAM! It came back :( I had a c-sec so I dunno if that makes any difference
  • I didn't get mine for 12 months. I breastfed for 11 months, so that's probably why. I also had a c-section. My first period was so heavy that I would saturate a "phone book" thick pad in 20 minutes and it would drip down my legs! I had to take a medication called methergine combined with ibuprofen to help slow down the bleeding. I guess it's pretty normal to have a heavy first period, but mine was heavier b/c it had been so long since my delivery.
  • It can b but ur not suppose to b on any hormonal bc if u r breastfeeding and the mini pill sux so I suggest condoms ;)
  • Lol it still depends on the person with using as birth control, only for a short time though. I've had moms still get preggo using what's on that link I posted
  • I didn't start until about three months pp . I was starting to worry that I was pregnant again. Lol
  • edited August 2011
    My hospital will tell you breastfeeding is not a form of birth control, just a warning. Anyways with my first she was breastfed for 3 weeks and I dried up, I had my period at 4 weeks pp and my second wasn't breastfed because my milk never came in and I was 7 weeks pp
  • it's all good momma. life is good.
  • @mommmyx3 lol I know when I was cramping when I first started pumping I was like oh I do not miss that feeling lol

@dreamaria yikes that sounds awful!!

@dra765 what is the mini pill? And why does it suck? My midwife gave me a script for a low hormone pill but Idk what kind it is

@mommyoftwoprincesses yea my hospital says the same. It's in all bold caps in the postpartum handbook lol

@survivormommie3 :)
  • Lol I think they might want to get their point across there! My nurse and doctor told me millions of times before I was discharged.
  • @mommyoftwoprincesses lol well I am definitely listening! I do NOT need to get pregnant again anytime in the near future lol
  • Well im breast feeding and I stopes bleeding at 5 weeks & got my period at 6 1/2 weeks. I know its my period cause I ovulated. My doc said I got my period cause I have high estrogin(sp) levels
  • The mini pill is a replacement they give u for the actual pill it has less hormones but from wat I've heard on many of these threads is that it sux n women get prego like weeks within havin their last babies. So I will not b trying that lol sounds like that's wat she's going to give u, so I suggest u stick with condoms still also.
  • I breastfed for 4 weeks and got my period 4 weeks after I stopped breastfeeding. So it was 8week pp
  • My son is now 3 months and I haven't gotten mine yet. He's also breastfed. My daughter was formula fed and I got it within a month.