BreastFeeding Question. I think i'm loosing my milk:(

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Soo my bby is 5 weeks tomorrow and i'm breastfeeding & i supplemented her with formula at like 4 days so shes been having both, i'm trying to get her off of formula but i wasn't breastfeeding & pumping enough so my supply is really low:( I use to make 4oz when pumping & now i can only get about 1oz. I feel reaally bad, Can i get to get back up??

Comments

• This whole breastfeeding thing has just been stressful, I had to supplement because it was soo painful she wasn't getting a good latch, but i know its the best thing for her & scared my milk will dry up.
  • Can u frequently nurse her more? Supplementing may cause supply issues. About this time it should be a growth so nurse more, baby can get out more efficiently than a pump. Also try mothers milk tea, oatmeal, fenugreek to increase supply
  • growth spurt ****
  • Is she latching on better now?
  • Yes she is, I nurse her through the night but she gets really fussy
  • Yup its called an sns system for babies who have matching issues and only cost 45 on amazon...I'm making a post about that now
  • latching**** stupid phone
  • So i can get my supply back up? i really don't want to give up!
  • Yes just try what everyone suggests on here and see a lactation counselor or lalecheleague member
  • I would try cutting her off formula completely, or strictly limit it and pump the same # of oz as she eats in formula. She may need to eat every two hours for a few days, but your supply should come back soon. Also, make sure you are eating and drinking enough.
  • I really don't like the lactation counselors they have for WIC, the first week she was born i had a really hard time & needed help, & they are soo hard to get ahold of, you don't get a call back, & you have to keep calling. I think i'll try the BF hotline we have here.
  • I kept the formula because i felt like she wasn't getting enough from me.. But i'll try that @Math_Mommy, taking her off of formula is my goal. lol
  • Oh, and the pump is not a good indicator of how much milk is actually in there. I strictly pumped for a few weeks while my first was in the nicu (he was to early to nurse or bottle feed for the first 3 weeks). At first, I was pumping lots of milk. Months later when I was primarily nursing, I could barely pump anything at all. The LC I spoke with said that boobs can get used to baby's sucking and the pump just doesn't simulate baby well enough.
  • edited September 2011
    Definitely try fenugreek!! Take 3 capsules 3 times a day (a total of 9 capsules a day) it makes you like a fountain!