detoxing when pregnant?

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
Is it safe? I am having major problems with my digestive tract. I'll go 2 weeks without pooping sometimes! I have done my best to eat the right foods and stay away from foods the clog me more but nothing is helping.

I've talked to my dr and we have tried all the over the counter meds and she has prescribe me things...still nothing!

I asked the Dr about it she said she has never been asked about it and didn't really know so she would do research and talk to me about it next appt but I'm in some serious discomfort and they still havent called me back.

I have issues when im not pregnant and I detox for 3days (only fruits, veggies and 2eggs a day) but I know that's a bit unsafe for pregnancy. I did research online and came across some things that said its safe(in a revised form with more protine) and some that said its not no matter how you do it..

Anyway do any of you have any idea if its safe or or other things I could try?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @sophiasmom11 its not dumb at all lol I use to eat them all the time for breakfast but havent tried them since ive been pregnant. Not sure they helped much then but im willing to give it a try!! Thanks :)

@ashleyfew I havent dont an enema but if its safe durring pregnancy it might be worth a try! Ive done suppositories and they did nothing :(
  • Ya try a water enema and keep the water in for about 10 mins then push it out. And this may sound gross but put a glove on and try to pull some poo out that should help things move down more so u can get the rest out. I was backed up real bad around 5 months and did that and j felt soo much better after. Hope this helps some and gl hun.
  • Prunes, prune juice. Treat your self as an old old person lol sorry.... my Gma is always talking about stuff like this and she's always saying prunes. I have some problems with it too and if I do go its hard as a rock and little pebbles sorry tmi. What about suppositories or something like that. I've wanted to try the probiotics and or the phylipps I think digestive cleaning/colon cleaning or something like that. I hate talking about stuff like this to me its embarrassing lol but ill help some preglys out. Good luck hun. You could also try asking the pharmacists as well what they think. I've been told by a bunch if doctors that some pharmacists know more about meds then some docs so idk you know how that goes but in your case and it sounding pretty bad id ask any ways they may know bc obs only deal with pregnant women mostly so the pharmacist may know for sure. Sorry if it wasn't much help.
  • @kingsmama im gonna try that! Im hoping it helps!!

@momofsoontobe7thanks for talking about it, and any help is help! Ive tried prune juice and it makes me very nauseated! I really want to try phylipps colon health too but ive heard its not.ok when pregnant! But afterwords you better believe ill be trying it! Ive talked to my pharmacist and he said he is at a loss after looking at all the things ive tried. Lol idk why some of us have such bad issues with this! Im definatly thinking about taking castor oil to try to induce labor, when I hit that time frame, just so I can get a good clean out! lol
  • Take pro biotics. They will regulate you.
  • Apple juice always helps me.
  • A big cup of coffee usually makes me poop lol
  • I used to work at a wellness center and we had detoxing programs that were great, but we never ever allowed any client or ourselves to detox while pregnant, its not safe at all.
  • Eat a whole pineapple, fresh raw. I did and woah, cleared me out like no tomorrow. :D best thing I've done all pregnancy lol.
  • I have poopy problems not pregnant and pregnancy definitely exacerbates the issue. Eating at least one yogurt a day really helps me. I also drink a big glass of metimucil in the morning and at night when prego (or if i poison my body with dollar burgers or too much gluten)...I like the original orange flavor tastes like Tang or so I imagine...but don't take ur prenatal vitamins or medication with it bc it could flush them out of ur system. My ex is a chiropractor and i was his chiro-wife we sold a lot of detox kits (we detox ourselves every spring & fall) Usually one of the steps is a course (3-10 days depending on the detox kit u get) of fiber to clean the pipes out. Drinking ur favorite fiber drink would b the closest to detoxing that I would go while pregnant...plus u get extra fluids and its good for ur heart...win win!

Good luck...and may the Force be with you Pregly. ;)
  • OMG i think we are twins! LOL im having the same problems but my ingnorant doctor and her nurses dont tell me nothing i havent been doing... drink prune juice, eat fiber one cearal the orginal kind (it looks like sticks and tastes like it too!), take 3 colace a day, eat fiber one bars, drink lots of water, and move around more... I do this and still have to take milk of mag to move anything..when i take milk of mag i take 1 does and then 2 to 4 hours later take another, and sometimes still it doesnt help. Its so tiring and frustrating. I was literally in tears the other night because i called the on call doctor for help and she just told me basically to do what i had been doing, i feel like im seriously gonna lose it on them. I have a doctors appointment friday and my doctor and i will be having a long talk....
  • Probably not a good there is this powder colon cleanser that they sell at gnc but u have to careful cuz things to help u go can make your uterus contract. I also get fiber gummies which have helped:)
  • Have u had any relief yet hun?
  • edited September 2011
    @HomeBirthAdvocate Can you just by magnesium and calcium anywhere?
    And thats two different pills right? One magnesium and one calcium?
  • @homebirthadvocate thats so much for that info!! Im going to the store today to get it!!

@Kingsmama not yet im going to get the suppliments homebirthadvocate mentioned and im gonna pray they work! she said if I take them tonight I should have a movement by tomorrow morning!! ill update then :)
  • Hope it works. If not try what I mentioned, I know its nasty but it does help :)
  • @kingsmama i defiantly will!! Thank you :)
  • @pnsw524 I never suffered with constipation before i became pregnant and 2weeks ago i was in such a pain cos i couldnt go for 4days!I wouldnt believe how painful and uncomfi it can be if i didnt experience it myself.Anyway,my friend told me to peel a few apples,steam them (or boil them if u dont hv steamer) until they get nice and soft (not mashy!) and then eat them while they are warm.And i tell u girl it helped me fast! I could go in 3hours! I also ate activia yogurts and oranges. Good luck chick xx