Low platelet count in late pregnancy *update 9/23 baby is here*

edited September 2011 in Third Trimester
Has anyone else had this? I am 35 weeks and 3 days with my 3rd. I had lab work done on Friday because my blood pressures have been trending up. Not really high but definitely increasing. I also have had protein in my urine at the last few appts. I am in the process of doing my 24 hour urine collection today for my appt tomorrow but I just got a call from my high risk OB's office saying that they want me to go into OB triage and get evaluated and get more lab work done. I called my sister who is a labor and delivery RN and said it isn't something to mess with (not that I would) and to go in asap but I am just wondering if anyone else has had this and if they ended up having HELLP syndrome or needing a platelet transfusion or what the outcome was... Just waiting for my husband to get home from work (he literally had just got to work when I got the call) and then go pick up my 2 older kiddos from school and head over there... Any advice and info is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Good luck momma. They need to watch you.
  • Thanks ladies!
  • I have thrombocytobenia (sp???) anyways its a low platelet count too. I am in the 70,000s and I believe normal is anywhere from 140,000-300,000. I couldn't have an epidural with my last delivery because of it. My drs basically just checked me once and said if I start having red looking little bumps under the skin or unexplained bruising to contact them ASAP. I am hoping to have a csection but that will require me to be put 100% under since I can't have an epidural :( 70,000 isn't terrible but its not good either. What is your count?
  • I had a nonstress test done at 40 weeks and my platelet count was low, they kept me over night and they said if my count did not rise by morning they had to do a csection because it was a sign of preeclampsia. It raised and I did not have to have a csection(well, that day). I hope all goes well for you.
  • I went through this my platelets dropped to 90000 and I was lucky that the anesthiseologidt would do my epidural unfortunately for me after he was born it dropped to the 60's they had to leave my epidural catheter in for two days until my levels went up with the help of iv steroids. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. Hopefully everything will be easier for you I had to stay a couple extra days in the hospital till they went up.
  • My SIL had the same thing happen when she was 6 months or so. They diagnosed with PNH. The only cure is a bone marrow transplant and they won't let her have any more kids due to the fact of how high risk she was. Not saying that's what you have but they might want to look into that
  • My ob mentioned at my last deliv that if i was to have another child an wanted an epidural they wud admit me a day or 2 early and give me steroids to try to boost my #. We haven't really discussed my delivery plan yet so i guess i will wait an see!
  • Thanks for all the info everyone! My count on Friday was 120K from 143K and today it was down to 109K so it is falling. My blood pressures aren't too bad but I have +2 protein in my urine and 3+ edema/swelling. I was in the process of doing my 24 hour urine when I came in but they are going to keep me at least overnight to finish that and monitor me because I am contracting regularly (but not dialating). I should have more info in the morning on what is going on and where we are going from here. Thanks for all the info ladies!
  • I am scheduled to have a c-section on 10/4. This would be my 3rd because my babies just don't fit through my pelvis (even at 5 lbs 8 oz) so that worries me. I am also complicated by type 1 diabetes.
  • Update: I am still in the hospital and will likely remain here until I deliver this *little* man. I definitely have pre eclampsia but it is mild. I had very little urine output over 24 hours and they are giving me fluids and I am drinking a lot of water it is just all getting stored in my legs, feet, belly, hands and face. I am contracting a lot on the monitors but not dialating. They are going to continue to monitor all of that and my platelets as well. I also had a growth scan today and they are estimating that he weighs 8 lbs 1 oz at 35 weeks 4 days. My amniotic fluid levels are also rising (at 31 cm today). So if anything changes they will reevaluate and talk about delivery but they want him to cook as long as possible.
  • @everyone, so it is baby day! I have gained 8 lbs in less than 2 days so fluid is going in just not coming out. I can't keep my blood sugars up and there is just too much going on. I am 35 weeks 5 days today and they are taking me back for a csection at 3pm pacific time.
  • Good luck!! Hope everything is ok
  • good luck!!!
  • Good luck hun (*)
  • Good luck to u and baby
  • Update, alexander was born at 5:19 pm on 9/21. He weighed 7 lbs 7 oz and was 19 3/4 inches long. He did good initially and then had problems breathing so he was sent to the nicu. He has been there since and is not doing very well. He was on cpap to start but kept dropping his oxygen sats so they intubated him yesterday. He also had a pneumothorax which is an air pocket around the lungs which causes it to collapse. They had to do a needle aspiration to fix that. At this point his problems are due to being preterm and me having a c-section. I am doing okay, lots of pain and still really swollen but I am finally starting to pee some of it out! My platelets keep dropping but they are not bad enough to do anything about yet. Thanks for all the advice and support ladies!
  • Congrates momma..you have worked hard to bring that little turkey in this world! It just makes you appreciate them all the more :) hope your baby boy has an easier time in the coming hours and days, its so hard to have a premie in NICU but there awesome drs and nurses and he will be well cared for and looked after! Get some rest and heal up momma, he will be in your arms in no time :)
  • Congratulations. Pray baby gets better soon!