Relaxation tips for natural birth?

edited September 2011 in Pregnant
I am 32w 1d and my son is measuring 4-6 weeks bigger than a normal baby. So my doctor wants to have him at 38 weeks if everything looks developed and good. Normally this would call for a C-section, but I have a bleeding disorder and that kind of major surgery could cause me to bleed to death. The other option would be to have a vaginal birth. Which wouldn't be bad, but I can not have an epi because of my bleeding disorder, and I am allergic to pain meds. So I am going all natural with a baby of a min of 10 pounds. Not to mention that I will most likely be induced. I am so nervous ladies!! I am in desperate need of advice on how to make it through. I've heard from some it isn't that bad, and I've heard from others that it is excrutiating... gah. Help?

Comments

• No idea but thats a great question. Bump!
  • I wish you the best no clue I will be looking for your birth story. I want to try natural as well hopefully someone can answer this !
  • Are there Bradley or Lamaze classes available where you are?? Both of those classes teach you relaxation and breathing techniques. You may see if you can find some Youtube videos as well. My hospital classes barely touched on breathing, but lots of people swear by Bradley Method.
  • I had a 17 hour labour with my son, yes it hurts but the more calm you stay the less it hurts. As soon as you panic your body releases adrenaline and over rides the hormones etc your body is releasing to cope with the pain. I walked alot and spent some time in the shower, the heat helped alot so being that you will be in a bed a heat bag would be something to try. I used the gas and found it really helped me concentrate on my breathing and keeping it slow and regular. When I had a bad contraction doing something rhythmic like rocking side to side was good and gave me something else to focus on... Hope these suggestions help
  • possible acupuncture to prepare for delivery. Exercise? Not sure what else.
  • Or water birth?
  • Labor in water it helps ease the contractions and meditation. I am going all natural as well (by choice though) and those are something I have read and also heard from family that did natural.
  • Also a birthing ball and walking around. Being mobile helps your body deal with the pain and gravity helps a lot to so squating and kneeling help.
  • edited September 2011
    I made it 30hrs into a HORRIBLE induction with out an epi and only got one because the doctors thought it would help calm my body enough to actually progress! (in 30hrs I was only at 5cm)

Idk you relationship status but my husband was the biggest help, rubbing my back and just talking to me and cracking jokes to keep my mind at ease. Breathing exercises didnt work for me, but I did bring my favorite lotion and changed my position a lot. Sitting in the bed got old, bring a birthing ball and they should have a couch. I also walked as much as I could!

Good luck mama, I pray you have a fast and easy labor <3
  • Wen I had my first I had an epi which I hated then I had my son almost 2 weeks ago n yes it was painful but a lot better my best advice is breath it really does help a lot
  • It'd gna hurt but my friend had 3 10lb babies naturally you can do it
  • Keep walking and when a contraction comes stop and breathe through it. Laying down Makes it hurt more.
  • Thanks ladies! I am in childbirth classes, but they are more to inform on the procedural part of labor and delivery. My hubby also knows that he is going to have to be my rock and reminder to relax and stay calm. I am so excited to see my little man, but so scared of messing it up.