narrow pelvic

edited September 2011 in Labor
So I went to my doctor today and he states that I have a narrow pelvic . He is giving me the option of being induced and trying to do it natural or go straight for a c section. I see him tmrw morning for one last check then going to the hospital to be induced. I really don't want a c section :( so my question is what r u all thoughts and experiences ?

Comments

• I have a narrow pelvic as well but wide hips. I have birth to all three kids with no problems. Last one had to have emergency csection bc his heart rate went down. Ask if they are will assist you in delivery as in the vacuum etc.
  • Induction increases your risk for csection. Also the narrow pelvis comment is usually what they say when the induction didnt work or isnt progressing as fast as they would like. "Oh your pelvis was too small." There are people who have this issue but I have known a few women who go on to have great normal births despite their narrow pelvises.

Good luck mama!
  • Thnk u ladies ;)
  • Was your pelvis measured? And back in the day the only other way of knowing if a pelvis was too narrow was by xray. And ofcourse pregnant women can't have xrays. It doesn't hurt to try a vaginal birth first, that's the way to tell. It is extremely rare to have a narrow pelvis :)
  • if you don't get an epi, squatting is a good way to open your pelvis to give birth.
  • I have a small pelvis which prevented a vaginal birth for me. I was in labor for 24 hours and pushed for 4. They used a vacuum on my son and did an episiotomy but the vacuu@m popped off 5 times. They had to go in for an emergency c-section. My son only weighed 5 lbs 8 oz and had many problems after birth due to the failed vacuum extraction and was in the nicu for 18 days. I truly can not give birth vaginally due to cephalopelvic disproportion. I am a rare case though so please don't let that scare you.

If I were you I would try to go into labor naturally without induction and try for the vaginal birth and just go from there. Good luck!
  • @ilovemybaby, I have the same problem, has your baby dropped are you dialated any? I'm 39 weeks and baby hasnt dropped no dialation, If I haven't progressed by Monday they r doing my csection Tuesday.. also did you have the pelvix xray and growth us, that's how they detrimed my pelvic outlet was to small. Induction will raise ur chances of emergency csection.. @bahamamama4828, they still do the xrays I had mine last week, I thought it was crazy, but they said it would just be like xraying a newborn, since I'm fullterm...
  • edited September 2011
    @bahamamama4828 no , actually my doctor told me a couple visits back that I had a roomy pelvic n then today he says I have a very narrow one. He's been mentioning c section for everything since I became 36 weeks. I feel he's one of those doctors who like to just jump into a c section. I didn't have any x ray done just a cervix check. I've decided to just b induced tmrw n try , if anything goes wrong he stated that he would be there to intervene.
  • @juliek77 that sounds soo scary. Let's hope for the best. (Fingers crossed)
  • @kelleymomma tmrw ill be 39 n 4days, the baby has dropped, I'm about 50% effaced and 1cm dialated.the reason for inducement is bc me n my doc r nervous to let him get too big. Plus me and my bf have certain time limits for his arrival n tmrw fits perfectly. But no pelvic x ray.
  • Yeah I would try the induction then, mine hasn't dropped I'm high and closed