whats ur thought on this??

edited September 2011 in Babies
My baby Is 6days old. He's a very cuddly baby and seems happiest in my arms. My mom says I'm "spoiling" him. Is that even possible at this age?

Comments

• One of my teachers told me a book she read about babies said that's not true.
  • No way! She's wrong! That is such an "old" way of thinking. You can't spoil a baby, you can spoil a preschool aged child. Spoiling with love is different than spoiling with material things, so snuggle, cuddle, love, kiss, hold, and enjoy this special time with him :)
  • Not true, its a myth just read any attachment parenting book, it states the studies and how its better for babys overall development
  • Ppl keep telling me that about my 10day old but I dnt care. He feels comfortable and secure there so I let him be. He is currently laying on my chest now lol
  • No! You could never spoil a baby by showing it that it's mother is a source of care and nurturing. It will make your baby trust you!
  • edited September 2011
    @dreamaria o believe me I'm cuddling, holding, kissing, touching him constantly lol I can't get anough of him!
    @babybundle3 mine is right here on my boob right now also lol. He's happy :)
  • You can not spoil a baby!! Its called parenting!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • not at 6 days!! Now by 2 months if your baby can't sleep hrs at a time without being held then he is a little spoiled!
  • Think of it this way, 9 months baby gets used to an environment that is safe, secure, warm, dark and constant sound of moms heartbeat. That's why baby likes to be so close to mama hearing heartbeat and staying warm on chest. :)
  • I umm sorta agree with what your mom say to a certain point right now with our babies being so young mine is 6days old as well and I hold her while nursing and maybe 10mins or so after then I put her down. I don't hold her while she is sleep my husband does but I dont. I place her in her lounger or bassinett. But once it get to where your baby cries everytime they aren't being held and won't sleep anywhere but on you I do believe that is a problem that will be hard to fix later rather than now. I love skin on skin when I nurse but my daughter is very content sleepy alone in her bassi or on her boppy lounger.

So I think right now its not spoiling but it can easily turn into it. It has nothing to do with showing love because you do that regardless.
  • My midwife says there is NO such thing as spoiling an infant with love. You cannot hold/kiss/ or love an infant too much. But it all depends onn how you feel about the situation. Google it...maybe you can find something that sways you one way or the other!
  • I love to cuddle my boys my rule is if u cuddle them n they start to go to sleep I put them in bed b4 there asleep unless its night time ill let Ni s go to sleep in the boob n put him in bed then he only wakes once during the night other than that can't spoil a kid with lobe I don't think
  • He was cuddled up inside your womb for 9+months. Ofcourse he wants to be cuddled and snuggled close to you that's where is most comfy. Next to you. He knows your scent your voice everything about you. I say snuggle him. :)
  • They need that right now!!! Keep cuddling ...I slept with my son in my arms for the first 3weeks....he is now 7weeks and sleeps just fine in his bassinet!! My dr told me its comforting to them right now!!
  • Awwwwww! He's cuddly! :X
  • Sweety if holding him is "spoiling" him then wat does she call PREGNANCY?! Lol u carry him for almost 10months. Im sure ur a great mommy n he sounds like hes a precious little boy. Now when it comes to cries, further down the road I can see it being considered "spoiling" because ull deff get tired of a fussy baby wanting to be held, but thats completely different. =]
  • edited September 2011
    I'm sorry I hvnt responded, I'm not geting my notifications for some reason :( thank u so much for all the input. I really agree with @samantha and @bahamamama4828
    And @augustbaby I cuddle him all the time. I was the same way with my 1st an he started sleeping alone without any problems
    Its hard to not wana keep him close by. Ecspecially with my husband wrkin 3rd so its easy to jus lay him next to me.
    @mommy_rel thank u girl, ur such a sweetie. He is such a precious little man! I cld just eat him!!! Lol
    @blueberrysmom he is soooo very cuddly!
  • Nope. At my hospital, they provided us with videos, books & nurses that were very informative about how to take care of infants. Babies 6mos or younger cannot be spoiled. They don't even have it in their brains to know how to "wrap us around their little fingers" lol. So if your baby cries, do what you can to comfort him &/or make him/her happy! There's nothing wrong with extra lovin'! :-)
  • @rizzychicky that's great to hear. I wish our hospital was more informative about things like this. I am so quick to pick him up an cuddle him when he cries. I mean, he's only a week old, I feel like the world is so new to him an I'm the only familiar thing he knws.
  • You are definitely right! I was told a newborn is pretty used to being treated as if he was still in the womb. I mean, he's new to everything yanoe? Love him as much as u can! :-)
  • Not true babies need to be held
  • As long as bubs does spend some time in bed, bassinet etc I dont see it as a problem. Everything is new to them and its up to us to teach them to self sooth and that the world isnt scary and that takes time. So enjoy the cuddles while they last I have to bribe my 2yo for kisses and cuddles unless he sneaks into my bed at night lol
  • You CANNOT spoil a newborn...there's tons of proven research. So cuddle your baby as much as you want/can!!! :) I can't wait to have my baby girl so I can have a cuddle partner when my bf isn't home :D
  • No problem =] haha I bet
  • @brttnywstn14 he's defntly my cuddler ecspecially when hubby is gone lol.
    I cuddled my 3yr old all the time whn he was 1st born. He's stil a big mamas boy. He has to cuddle with me on the couch, sometimes he sleeps with me on nights that hubby has work, but he's very good bout goin to his own bed.
  • Yea I love cuddling with little kids...this is my first so I've never done it with my own baby but I'm the oldest of 7 and had to watch my siblings a lot n they would always wanna cuddle with me :)
  • just let it go thru one ear right out the other lol
  • I love cuddlin my baby but be prepared for baby to get used to this and as he grows he may become fussy when u try to put him down! My friend used to hold her son a lot and cuddle him to settle him or get him to sleep! Hes now 7 months old and she still has to do this! Its a mothers choice how they settle their own baby so do what u want to :-)