homebirth

So I'm probably just talking out my bottom but how safe unsafe would it be to just not go to the hospital when I go into labor?
I don't have insurance since my husband got fired. Still waiting on his paystubs to apply for Medicare/caid whatever. A two day hospital stay is 3500$ *just for me not counting baby's care, meds, or the delivery* to be paid in full before birth *this is just bed, food, nurse*
I have a negitive bank balance; by a lot, two months behind on my cars payments, and almost two months behind on rent. My tags are expired I don't have car insurance and my phone will be shut off in the next few days.
We were in a really good place when we desided to go for another kid. Funny how drastically that can change with no prior warning.
I just needed to get this off my chest before I explode.

I am kinda serious about forgoing the hospital though. . .

Comments

• So what would you do?
  • I'm doing homebirth ..but I know what to look out for. I cant tell u how safe it us, there will always be that negative Nancy but I am trained on what to do :)
  • I have missed one birth because it went so fast and they lived 45 min away and what do ya know, it was breech. They had no probs as it is a normal variation of birth
  • To just do it at your home with just you and your husband might not be the greatest idea. You will get medicaid because you are pregnant and they back pay 3 months. So if you apply today any unpaid medical bills from the past three months will be covered.
    Also, they can not turn you away just because you don't have insurance!

Good luck mama and you can do it!
  • Also if you go to the hospital and once u get ur bill you can call them for financial assistance with paying your bill.
  • I agree its not safe. What if your baby is in distress when it was born or what if you start bleeding badly? Its not safe momma dont risk it.
  • Ya I would recommend something a little more assisted
  • A hospital cannot turn you down if you are in labor, even if you can't pay. Then your Medicaid will cover it when it goes into effect.
  • My opinion is it is safe as long as your pregnancy has progressed so far with no complications and you are healthy. I wouldn't advise it though without someone there who has experience like a doula. What would you do if the baby was breech? What if you tear? Who will stitch you up? The cord wrapped around the neck? What if you bleed profusely?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    I considered the a home birth for about two minutes b/c my doc will not let me VBAC and assured me no one would. I was angry. I figured, I'm a nurse and DH has delivered a couple babies...if I were to go into active labor I would just stay at home so I could do it my way. Then I quickly realized how dangerous it could be if we were to go at it alone. I'm not a l&d nurse and DH is not an OB and hasn't been in a delivery in 7 years....way too risky. @garagebandfan is right, you will be covered by Medicaid and so will your child. Are you receiving regular prenatal care? If so, you can talk to your doc about it and they should be able to assist you in finding s social worker to get the Medicaid stuff worked out.
  • Well I wasn't thinking completely unassisted. My mom is was a labor and delivery nurse *now a l&d assistant director* with 100 catches to her credit. And frankly I'm probably going to give birth in the car anyway lol I have fast labors. I know they can't turn me away and gust freaking out and my husbands solution to the problem is to go take endless naps. I know he can't acrully do anything about whats going on but the hiding is making it worse on me
  • Homebirth is perfectly safe if you're prepared and have a plan. Do you have the time to research and prepare?
  • You guys are in a tough situation :( What does your Mom think you should do? She probably will know better than most people.
  • I was due yesterday. I've been walking around dialted to 4.5 for a month now. I have a sono to check the placenta tomarrow with an induction set for the 4th
  • @beaded_bunny with your mom there I see nothing wrong with a home birth then, because she would know what to look for.
    I hate that you have to go through this! I can't imagine how rough it is. Do you qualify for any assistance?
    Let me know if I can help in anyway!
    I can set you up with an online fundraiser if you want! ;)
  • The hospital should have a financial aid assistance ask them about it and then Medicaid will cover 3 months previous Dr bills or hospital bills. Good luck and if your mom knows what she is doing then I think that would be ok but there are always risks....
  • Medicare pays for three months prior to actually getting it! Go to the hospital and when you get Medicare it will pay for it! I have it they pay 3 months before you get it and 3 months after baby is born
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I say go to the hospital. God forbid something should happen you'll be in the perfect place. And just like everyone else is saying Medicaid will back pay 3 months of your medical bills.
  • Thanks all I just feel like I'm drowning. I'll be better mentally in a little bit. It just all hit very hard today. . . Plus I brought up the option with my husband and he just about had kittens
  • Thats a vision... (having kittens)