a helpful tip for those planning on bf

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
Im 34 wks and was at my ob appt this morning, and the nurse asked me if I had been preparing my nipples yet. I was rather confused. She said preparing your nipples now will make nursing tons easier. She said to use a wash cloth while in the shower and rub them medium vigorously. She also said to roll them with your fingers 20-30 times. This will help toughen them up!

Comments

• My toddler uses my chest as a trampoline. It has the same effect but I don't recommend it lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I breastfed my son and never toughened my nipples up and had no problems. And I won't be toughening them up for this one. I don't feel like there is a need to do that. My nipples are already sore with just being pregnant...don't want to put myself through more pain than I have to.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm surprised she told you this. My Mom is a LC and told me no matter what NOT to do this b/c is does more harm than good. That it is an "old thing to do". She told me exactly what @homebirthadvocate said. No need to toughen up those nipples up anymore.
  • it is definitely an old wives tale!
  • Very interesting! I was not expecting these responses. Lol. This brings on a question @HomeBirthAdvocate I hear it is very common go be sore the first 2 wks. Does that mean it was an incorrect latch those 2 wks? @DreaMaria If we do it correctly there should be no soreness? This is such a big deal to me. Trying to learn everything I can. Thanks!
  • @vtmamajuju you'll know the difference between a bad latch and just soreness. A bad latch makes your toes curl. And when you take baby off, your nipple will be flatter.
  • I agree with @lucyloo288 a bad latch is extremely painful and if you don't correct it right away you'll get veryyyy sore nips which takes like a week to heal (at least it took that long for me). If you've got a good latch it doesn't hurt whatsoever.

@vtmamajuju for the first week and a half I was a little sore but I think it was due to incorrect latch really now looking back. I almost gave up but saw the lactation consultant and that got me on track again. But it does take a bit to get used to the feeling of breastfeeding IMO. I'm proud to say yest was the first day my son was without formula supplementation (day AND night!) and he's 3 weeks old. We're finally getting the hang of it!
  • use lanilole after each feeding it will help with no cracking.. and lach is number 1.. i watched alot of videos.. it helped good luck.. to you and your baby you can do it girl!!! :)
  • edited September 2011
    I agree with what the other ladies said. The latch is key. @homebirthadvocate explained it really well. The only thing would add is to keep your nipple centered in the baby's mouth...like a bulls eye. A centered nipple, wide open mouth, and correct realease from the nipple should do the trick. Also, lanolin didn't help me all that much. My mom told me to express a litule milk after each feeding and rub it on your nipples and let it dry. It has natural healing properties and will help with dry/cracked nipples...and its free! The first couple weeks are tough when you are exhausted, but take the time to make sure your latch is good and it will save you time and pain.
  • What @homebirthadvocate said about releasing the suction Is really important to. It adds to the pain of a bad latch, and it can cause your nipples to crack.
  • You may want to buy a nipple shield just in case you do get sore. They're only $7. So if you don't wind up using it, nbd. If you do get sore, you can still nurse comfortably and.avoid having to supplement with a bottle. I had blisters on my nipples from pumping while my son was in the nicu; but, I could still nurse pain-free with a shield. Don't let nurses at the hospital scare you...the "old-school" thought was that prolonged use of the shield could cause supply problems. However, numerous studies have refuted this.