What's happen to my milk!!!

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
I've only been breastfeeding for 12 days, my son is 13 days old. Everything was ok until yesterday, my supply of milk is getting shorter and shorter. Im at first I was getting almost 5 oz from each breast, now I bartley get 2oz put together and I wanna know y. I don't necessarily pump every 3 hours and I really haven't had much time to eat, so could that be the reason??? How can I regain my supply?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ashleyfew I have a few questions about pumping. I am breastfeeding only and I would like to introduce the bottle with breastmilk so hubby can feed baby while I am away (I may be getting a part time job) and for the sitter to feed baby while we are away (on a date night ;-) )When is the "best" time in terms of babys age to do this? How often should I pump if I only need the occasional bottle? I currently use nipple shields bc baby has trouble latching--will introducing the bottle affect his feeding with the shield? My baby will be 4 weeks this Thursday. Thanks in advance--hope u can help!
  • What you can do is eat healthy and frequently and pump every two hours religiously drink lots of water like tons upon tons.....also there is mothers milk tea .....hope you supple comes back
  • That happened to me. Pump or feed baby ever 2 hrs drink more water. Breast milk is 70% water. Wat u wat doesn't matter as much. If ur baby is havin trouble latchin don't introduce the bottle til there is no problem wit baby latchin.
  • @ashleyfew okay that maybe the problem, I don't drink water that much and my baby won't latch on so I have no choice but to pump
  • Everyone is right. Keep a glass of water close to u at all times esp during nursing.
  • ooh baby wont latch. go see an LC or amazon.com for an sns system. it helps teach baby to latch
  • Yup plenty of fluids and food even if u don't like water ur body and baby needs it
  • I was having same issues, but was told to "comfort boob" her. Since she usually just uses my boobs as pacifiers, the contact and her just being close and going through actions help with hormones that trigger milk production. Now, after just a couple days, I have doubled my milk supply, no supplements, and have better bonded with my little baby. So offer boob as often as possible, and don't give up!!! I almost did and I now have stopped having to supplement my milk with formula and have bottles already for next four feedings and growing!!! Also, now she has had tongue tied fixed, her nipple confusion has started resolving and she is starting to use my boobs for feeding atleast once a day. It surely is a process, but totally worth working towards!!! Good luck!!!
  • Oh, and def with eating and drinking. The body will take what it needs to produce for baby and leave you in the dust. If you're running on empty, it is harder to keep up with milk production like the girls said above.