Strep B positive - I am terrified

edited October 2011 in Pregnant
Today my doc. told me that I tested positive and I am going crazy. I am so scarred! With my first baby it was negative. I have no clue where it possibly come from and I am so afraid my baby is or will get infected. Anyone's been in my shoes? Please moms share your experience if you had it. I am crying :(

Comments

• All I know is that they give you antibiotics during labor.
  • No biggie.....as long as you give your self enough time to get the round of antibiotic before you deliver it will be good...I was pos with both kids...the only diff is that when your water breaks they want you to come in right away, because they don't want you to give birth before getting the meds. My doc told me; 1/3 of women never get gbs, 1/3 get it now and than, and 1/3 of women are constant carriers... nothing to worry about, smile your growing a beautiful baby!! :)
  • It's no biggie they give you antibiotic every 3-4 hours during labor. It's just a bacteria that can be present at times ..doc explained like a yeast infection? You always have it but when there is an over growth it becomes a yeast infection. ..it's kinda like that. No need to stress hun
  • Try not to stress. I had it and I didnt even know till they day I was induced. They put me on pennicilin.
  • As the others said... It's really nothing to stress about it. I had it and everything was fine! :)
  • Dont stress. I got 2 rounds of penicillian when I was in labor and tjat was that. Nothing to worry about
  • Everybody has it in their body...sometimes it just moves down to your vagina. Its nothing to worry about.
  • Thank you all for the reassurance, I really appreciate your time and words of encouragement! :)
  • Its scary yea I had it with my third and omg I was panicing cause I was like omg bu all u have to do is when u r in l and d let them know u have gbs and they'll give u antibiotics don't stress about it it wil be ok I'm sure u have gogled it and omg the thingsppl put on there scared the hell out of me but if u have qs ask th doc I'm sure he or she will reassure u
  • I'm with you I'm terrified as well!!!
  • I gave birth on tuesday evening and was induced monday evening when they started the antibiotics, I got a new bag everytime the last one emptied, went through 7 bags and my daughter was still positive for strep b, we just have to stay an extra 24 hours so they can watch her, it's not too big of a deal, definitely dont stress too bad over it
  • I was the same way, with my first I was negative and with my second I was positive, it's noting to be afraid of they just give you a dose of antibiotics. I personally didn't have to stay any longer ( I actually got to leave early).
  • I had it with my first. It's really no biggie, very common
  • What is it?? And when do they test for it