couple questions. concerned please read

edited October 2011 in Babies Health
So my baby does a few things I'm a bit concerned about. First is this - sometimes when she is just waking up and fussing and we go pick her up, she's got her eyes open and looks to be awake. Then she will do this thing with her eyes where it looks like she's rolling them back in her head, then they go from side to side and up and down. Its not something she's doing voluntarily for sure.. kind of scares me!
Next is - she makes this gasping sound and has been doing it quite a bit lately. I don't know if its just her making that sound for fun or what but its really weird!
I am going to bring thwas issues up with the Dr when she goes for her 6 week checkup...just want to know if these are common things for babies to do or not!

Comments

• Yeah that's not common. Have them check her for seizures.
  • The eyes might just be that she isnt really awake but technically sleeping with her eyes open... Im not sure really that's the only thing that came to mind. So you can give a doctor plenty of info maybe start writing down dates and times when it happens and how long it lasts.
    Babies make all kinda crazy noises but if its one that bothers you I would certainly get it checked out
  • Also when she's sleeping she sometimes twitches a couple times but i think that's normal i kind of remember my son doing that too
  • The eye thing could be normal. My daughters eyes sometimes look like they open and roll back in her head while she is sleeping. That I found out is totally normal...because they are so small they dont have that kind of muscle control. It should go away by 3mos or so. From what the dr has told me the gasping is ok if it is momentarily, it stops and they dont turn blue or anything. But if you are super concerned call or ask the dr. My lil girl is 5wks.
  • @stillsurprised the gasping she seems to do all the time now. like when she takes a deep breath in or when I'm changing her and she's looking around she does it. i might not wait for the six week check up cuz that's two weeks away
  • If she is doing it thday much I would call the dr. Its better for you to call or go in and it turn out to be nothing, than not and out be something ya know. My daughter had lung issues when she was born so I am super paranoid when it comes to her breathing.
  • The eyes thing is normal, my lilly does that too but its "sleeping with her eyes open". Watching her makes it a lot easier to tell when she is sleeping or doin her crazy eyes lol
  • Ya the eye thing is because they really dont have total eye control yet. And the breathing spasms i believe are normal as well. As a grow adult i still have them quite frequently. Im not asthmatic and have no breathing issues its just something that happens. And twitching defintely is normal. Hope this helps. Anytime u have a concern call the dr to be on the safe side.
  • Yea, it's normal. My baby does it alot when she's sleepin, and remember their eye muscles are not coordinated yet. My baby gasps a lot too and other scary breathing noises. I asked her doc @ her 2 week appt and he said that newborns will make all kind of noises when theyre breathing cuz they are still learning how to breathe. he said as long as she doesn't change color when u hear the weird breathing (turn pale or blue) then they are fine.
  • thanks everyone that makes me feel so much better :)