For those who have had mastitis?

edited November 2011 in Breastfeeding
I thought I had a clogged duct but when I described it to my Dr she said it was mastitis. So she said to stop feeding baby from that breast to just pump & toss, & she gave me antibiotics. So ive been doing so for 3 days, when can I start feeding from that breast again?

Comments

• Pump and dump?!?! I had mastitis and nursed from that side. In fact I started out on that side everytime I nursed.

I hope you get feeling better. I'd rather go through labor 100 times than have mastitis again!
  • Same here, I had mastitis and still nursed from that side. Doctor told me to. I nursed as much as I could stand it. Otherwise I would pump from that side and give it to him and let him nurse from the other side. I agree with @Shae mastitis is no joke and I pray I don't get it again, but my labor was pretty painful so I don't know about the labor 100x. I'm still healing 2wks pp. :/ I still don't want to look "down there" :(
    Hope you feel better!
  • Yes thats what they told me to do!
    & I agree! Very painful & miserable

Sounds good! I just hate wasting good milk if I dont have to.

& technically I spoke to the nurse not my Dr
  • I fed from that side but it never went away (until I gave up and quit bfing. Stupid mistake)
  • ive had it twice and i still feed from that breast! and it was so painful but i sucked up and just cried while she nursed
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow! I wish I would have asked sooner! Thanks so much ladies!
  • yes feed as much as possible from that side! emptying that side is very important and a pump cannot empty like baby can.
    im with @ashleyfew, dont get advice from a doc or nurse, but from a good LC :)
  • I had it in both breasts and they told me to nurse UNLESS the consistency changed (it got slimey and gross green/yellow, which was the infection clearing out through my breasts) luckily I had a hospital grade pump that I was using at the time the infection cleared