baby sign language

edited November 2011 in Pregnant
I was thinking about doing this with my son but dont know much about it....do any pregly mom have done it? and details pros/cons???

Comments

• I bought baby signing time and would play it ask the time in the background whole she played. By 6 months old she started picking up the signs and words. Before she could talk she would sign milk, food, more, all done and a couple more things. She is 3 now and knows a lot of sign words and still uses them all the time. Some signs I don't know and I have to ask her what it means. I think it was helpful before she could talk and its always good for them to know. Never know when they may need it
  • @Carrie do you think it was helpful in understanding what she wanted?
  • Im gonna sign with my baby... my friend issue a translator and she said its good communication for yu and baby.. iwas concerned that baby wont learn how to talk but that issue true because when yu sign with a baby yu still talk :-)
  • i have baby signing time as well, i love it. my 2 year old has learned alot
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When is the best time to start signing? My son is 7 weeks and want to start teaching him.
  • I signed to my 7yo. He picked it up & once in a while pulls it out still. It was great that first year or so.
  • I wanna try it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My hubbie knows a little of it his mom runs a day care but he tought my neice the hand signal for no more and when we tell her no more she does it :)
  • Does anyone know when is a good time to start signing?
  • I'm trained in sign language but have lost a lot of what I've learned so i think of myself as knowing more basics now... the first yr of classes or so. There's absolutely no down fall to signing from what i know! Speak & sign & they will learn both. They'll be able to sign easy words befire speaking & recognize a lot more. I would start as soon as you want, even if the baby is very young you can speak & sign new words over throughout the day & it will help them in the learning process. Just like how we talk to infants over and over so they learn sounds, words, verbal & physical communication... the same goes for sign language.

It's such a great thing to start with babies. Theres so many great dvd's & books... lots of resources! Good luck!
  • @jay_july1 yes very much so. We plan to do the same with the baby too. We have started playing the DVD for him in the last couple Weeks. He's 4 months old now.