Episiotomy decision

edited November 2011 in Pregnant
Just printed out the birth plan sheet from babycenter.com and it asks about if I want an episiotomy. I googled it and came across this article. http://www.babycenter.com/0_episiotomy_165.bc

I'm very curious to hear about your experience or what you plan to do.

Comments

• I tore very badly with #1. He came out nose first. A friend about the same time had her son with an episiotomy. Even though I needed more stitches, I healed quicker. She hurt so bad! After about a week I felt ok.
  • I tore from front to back. They way I see it rip a pair of jeans its difficult to do. Then rip a pair of jeans that have been cut it keeps ripping. Also I healed fairly quick as well
  • Both kids I tore. This one I tore all the way up under my Hood. I healed fast with both times. The doctors here don't like to cut due to risks and it being not necessary.
  • I tore and needed three stitches. I plan to tear (hopefully not) rather than episiotomy with this baby. My son had his hands on his face when he came out.
  • I had an episiotomy and still tore. I healed quickly with no issues.
  • @Samantha is right... just let yourself tear rather than be cut bc you'll just keep tearing. I myself tore with both my kid's and I healed very quickly
  • Don't tear on you own. My tears are clear up to my rectum. And it hurts to do anything I'm getting butt donut today to help heal. I had my son early early Monday and my vag and butt still hurt. I'm doing my seat bath thing today. . I really just wanna wipe normal again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @stephforever89 get ice packs helped me so much. And the numbing spray.
  • my friend has 2 kids; was cut with the first and tore with the second...she said she'd rather tear anyday than get an episiotomy. she said it was an easier recovery with the tear as opposed to the cut. i tore badly 3rd degree almost 4th when i had my son. i don't have anything to compare it to, but i don't think the recovery was bad at all. i'd rather not be cut when i have my 2nd bc i think there's more chance to rip beyond the cut, and since my skin's already weakened there and i'm at increased risk to tear again, i'd rather not a 4th degree tear as that requires actual surgery to repair. no thanks.
  • My sister got cut and it took her close to 3 months before she healed fully
  • The spray is life saver :) @samantha. So is the bottle omgah warm water feels the best. @kristaf22 I think that's what happen to me. I went back to hospital already dilated to a 6 then as soon as the doctor broke me water I had to push like 10 mins later. I did see the doctor sowing me up and what it looked like down there afterwards lol it looked like meatgrinder got a hold of me.
  • edited November 2011
    Lol idk how many pushes I did. He was out with in 30mins of starting to push. I didn't even get time to get break between pushes because my husband would push me back up lol.i everytime he did that I was thinking damn I didn't get enough air that time. @kristaf22
  • I would say no to an episiotomy! Everyone I know that has had one took much longer to heal!
  • @stephforever89 mine took about a week to heal maybe 9 days then it just felt bruised for a few days but the ice pack helped with swelling and made it numb from being so cold lol. And yes the bottle and numbing was amazing lol. I dreaded going to the bathroom. I think next time I want a c section lol
  • My dr gave me an episiotomy without even telling me... I found out when my bd asked him how many stitches he was putting in. >.<

Only like the first week or 2 is really bad...it hurt a lot and was hard to stand up and sit down, car rides sucked (my bd drives like an a-hole usually so speed bumps and those little dips at intersections were my enemy!) and I dreaded having to use the bathroom.

Given the choice, I think I'd rather have teared...I've also heard it heals quicker...Actually given the choice I'd rather have had neither but I think it was my fault because I was also trying not to poo while pushing lol. Sorry for the tmi. ^_^;
  • I'm getting a donut pillow today from my dads gf. So I'm hoping that helps too. I finally poo yesterday and omgah I was soooo thankful it didn't. I'm very glad I got stool softner at the hospital.
  • I didn't get an option? Lol. I just let my dr decide what was best. I was cut with my oldest and tore with my second. I felt like the healing was the same both times, but I got 4 stitches from the cut and 2 from tearing, so I didn't have a major issue.
  • @everyone

NOT GETTING THE EPISIOTOMY!! :D thanks everyone!

@mama_kat I'm jealous! I hope its that way for me too!
  • @leggs2011 thank you so much for posting this. My mom asked me the other day if I was going to have one and I really didn't know anything about it. She told me I should so I was going to but after hearing all these recent opinions I think i ll skip the cut. I mean it's been 26 years since she went through this. I appreciate the recent knowledge and experience of you ladies
  • I was cut, I had quite a few stitches but I only really hurt for the first day then ached for 2 days then was bk to normal. I healed really quick and well! I was checked 2 weeks after an the midwife said I was bk to normal down there an when my fiance an I had sex he said it felt no different where I had been cut?
  • My birth plan was for no episiotomy, but baby's heart rate started dropping more with each contraction. The midwife asked if I wanted to go ahead and get cut so baby would come quickly and no longer stressed. I said to do it; next contraction she did a pressure episiotomy, and it just took a couple more contractions to push baby out. It healed quickly, I did not need a donut or anything special excepts medicated pads to wipe the stitches with.