Child Abuse

I had a situation at my work this week, a little girl in my class came to school with black and blue eyes, ears, and nose. She had scratches on her neck and blood spots in her eyes. I reported it to social services because it was obviously cause by something greater then a simple fall. I asked what happened and she replied with "I fell, and if I say that all day, I get candy when I get home". It broke my heart. She is 4
The cause of her injuries was her stepfather. She fell asleep in the car. Guess that was reason enough for him to beat her. She is now in foster care. She was taken from her mother because her mother sat back and watched it happen. I just need reassurance that I did the right thing although she will miss her mom. I dont want her to be sad anymore..

Comments

• Omg thats so sad. Of course u did the right thing hun, if her mom let that happen to her once she will let it happen again and if she loved her it would have never happened at all. Dont doubt ur actions, u did the right thing.
  • Well done you, so many people ignore things like this. You did the right thing, don't ever question yourself. Just think what could have happened in future if it had been allowed to carry on. That little girl gets to sleep safe and secure in a warm and caring environment tonight thanks to you
  • OMG your this little girls hero even if its hard you saved her from what would probly been years of abuse. its ppl like you who advocate for the child and not the adult who makes this world a better place :) (dont feel bad I work wit children as well and have had ro report neglect)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Uhhhh you have to ask if you did the right thing?????? HELL YES YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. I would have found those worthless ass parents and beat the shit out of both of them. Beating a child is NOT okay and both of those parents need the shit beat out of them. Sorry but I am very emotional when it comes to these stories.
  • omg that is awful! you did the right thing! when i was growing up, my mom was a foster parent and i had seen so many situations similar to this..we once had 3 kids who were left at mcdonalds by their 17 yr old mom who didnt want them anymore. it was awful, they were beaten and werent fed :(
  • You really did do the right thing. Next time he beat her he could have killed her... You should be proud that you stood up for that little girl because no one else was
  • 100% did the right thing. there's so many people in the world that will sit back and let those things go bc it doesn't affect them. i'm happy to hear that there are people like you willing to save a life!!!!!! and i agree with @tinka1326 there may have been worse consequences than missing her mom.
  • I am a school teacher and we have to make choices not just academic driven but also for their best interest. I had to make a hard choice one time and to this day, I thank God I did.... You did the right thing honey. She will be fine... The mom will be fine too and probably stay with the loser. So know in your heart and mind that she is going to be better off in the long run....
  • I realize that it seems like commonsense that I did the right thing, but it's more complicated then that. She was sad when she came back to school because she missed her mom. I second guessed my decision. I now realize that this is something that will pass with time. She will soon become comfortable in her new home. I just dont like to see her hurting. Thank you for your comments :)
  • @2nd_in_Sept You absolutely did the right thing consider yourself a hero because you more then likely saved her life
  • I'm a social worker for Children & Family Services and i totally understand your feeling of confliction. It is sad to see a child taken from their parent, even when that parent is asshole becuz 90% of these kids love their parents and want ti go home to them. Hopefully she will have a good social worker that will help the mother work on herself to be a good parent (and of course she'd have to drop the abusive boyfriend too).

Sad thing is i see the mothers choosing their man over their child far too often. Good thing is there are a lot of really good foster/adoptive parents out there.
  • As a physical, sexual, and verbal abuse survivor I have to say that you definitely did the right thing. I wish someone had done something like this in the time where I was too scares to speak up. Regardless, my mother is still with my stepfather despite all of my siblings coming forward with horrific stories. She "loves" him. I think its total bullsh!t and I cut off all ties when she admitted to a mutual friend that she knew about the abuse and did nothing because she felt it was the only way to keep a roof over our heads. I am currently finishing my bachelors in psychology with the intention of entering grad school after I have this baby to get my masters and later doctorate in psychology. I want to work with children specializing in abuse.
  • Has someone who's stepdad was abusive physically and mentally since i was 6 -14 when my mum finally found the courage to leave him and made sure he stayed out you did the right thing!!

i still love my mum even though she let that happen I've always wondered why until i was in an abusive relationship my self and realised how controlling and manipulative they can be

that lil girl later on in life will be thanking her old school teacher for speaking up and bein her advocate

i only wish there was more people like you
  • Reading this gave me chills how in the world u let a man do this to your child kids are innocent you did the best thing