Am I wrong for giving my bby formula?

edited November 2011 in Breastfeeding
Ok so I took my lo to her first appt 2day & the doc asked me how do I feed her. I told him breastmilk & formula. I do both. He says "why do you give formula to your baby..dont give your baby formula. She doesnt need it."
Ok I know that breastmilk is best thing for my baby. But dont criticize me for using formula! It made me feel like a bad mon. Like im cheating her out if something:(

I breastfeed mostly but sometimes I need a break! Plus..Its kinda hard to just pop the boob out in some situations so I give her a bottle with formula.(she wont drink my breastmilk from a bottle..shes picky.lol)

Does this make me a bad mom?

Comments

• Not a bad Mom at all!! :)
  • No! Do not let anybody make u feel bad for giving formula, not a doctor, not any breastfeeding guru/advocates...i also do both and felt bad at first but like u said I needed a break and with family and friends coming over to meet my baby I wasnt about to pop out a boob in front of anybody! When u are soley breast feeding they r supposed to give u a prescription for vitamin drops to give to baby, all those vitamins r in formula...so what does that tell u? I think we r giving the best of both worlds by giving both. :)
  • Omg I wulda went off ! That's ur baby not his if u need a break u need a break ! Formula is fine for her
  • not a bad mom! maybe doc thought you were giving formula right after bf instead of In place of bf.. maybe you need a new doc you dont need a negitive person in your life especially one who your gonna have to trust when your lo is sick! jmo
  • wow i can't believe a doc would say something like that. don't feel bad at all...i didn't breastfeed my first two and i never got any rude comments like that. u breastfeeding at all is good! :)
  • @excitedforoctober omg! Yes..someone who understands. Sometimes the bottle is just easier. I mean im not superwoman. He acted like I was hurting her by giving her formula.

@Mrz_Jackson2anpreggo I wanted to go off but at the same time I felt so guilty!

@moodymommie I think I do want to find a new doctor. I didnt pick him anyway..he is just the doc that the hospital gave me. He doesnt seem very "warm" either. & he is the only doctor at the office. Idk if thats normal for pediatrics or not tho.

• I asked my midwife yesterday if it was ok to do both until my milk comes in and she said it was absolutely fine, whatever is best for me.
    At the end of the day we're all people to, its ok to think of our selves once in a while.
    Breast may be best but babies grow up just as healthy on formula
  • @mums_the_word its good you have a doctor who supports your decisions!
  • My lo pediatrician said the same thing to me but then i saw another pediatrician in his office and she said its perfectly fine especially after she seen how hungry my baby still was after nursing. My supply is low but the dr insists it isn't.
  • @steph_due_101611 my supply definently isnt low! I bf & pump and in an hour my breast are full and engorged again! Lol. My lo doesnt drink my pumped breastmilk but I have to pump anyway for some release becuz my lo cant keep up with my production. Lol
  • Don't feel guilt ur baby is fine! :)
  • I wish i could pump and store milk. Im going to mexico in february and she's gonna have to live on just formula
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not that the belittling you was good, but eay to go for having a dr that supports breastfeeding so much. Most I great about is drs pushing formula. You make your own decisions on what you think if best
  • @PEsMommY yea I have no problem with him supporting breastfeeding. I support it 100%. My lo just wont drink breastmilk from the bottle so I give her formula.
  • @steph_due_101611 have you tried ways to boost your milk supply?
  • No, personal decision of the mom. No mom should feel bad. A couple nights I've had my hubby feed her formula bc I was sick or frustrated. My daughter refuses to take bottles or pacis she only wants my boob. But don't feel bad.
  • @mimii36 I've tried changing my diet. Increasing fluids. Fenugreek. Pumping longer. Pumping more often. Putting baby on my breast more. Letting her use me as a paci when she wants. But no matter what she's always hungry for more.
  • I have to formula feed so don't feel bad at all. I cried about it at first but my Obgyn, lactation consultant, and pediatrician all agreed it was best for both baby and I. Breastfeeding doesn't work 100% of the time for everyone!
  • Never! I only breast fed for five weeks because he wouldn't latch and I was only producing 8 oz a day total (pumping every 2 hours and nursing him in between) and that was on a good day. I struggled with switching him to formula cause I wanted to breast feed, I thought I was being selfish but honestly it was all for the best and he's getting what he needs and there is no shame in that! :)
    I say more power to ya!
  • I give brody formula now and then. I beat myself up over it a lot and I shouldn't. But its perfectly fine to. You're a fantastic mom. You're not making her starve you come prepared with a back up plan when you can't pop out a boob. :)
  • I have issues that caused me to have a low supply. Im working hard to get it up but it isnt enough. I nurse for 30-45 minutes, if he is still acting hungry I give him formula. This was at the encouragement of his pedeatrician & my LC. I only do formula in public because I'm just not comfortable nursing in public. You are a good mommy.

• @ta2edblondie its not the bottle or nipple. She drinks formula from a bottle
  • @ta2edblondie why do they give u vitamin drops to give to baby when u are exclusively breastfeeding?
  • I never got vitamin drops but my sisters Dr told her to give my niece vitamin d drops cause breast milk doesn't contain vitamin d. And my niece wasn't jaundice so Idk why she needed it. No one has said anything to me about vitamins for my baby.
  • edited November 2011
    I for one couldn't breastfeed for long since i had surgery And was hospitalized for like a week and then the pain medicines they gave me were too strong and they didn't allowed me to breastfeed. and i wasn't able to buy a pump since we were going through money problems and i don't feel less of a mother because my milk dried up.. i hate when people judge like if they are God or something. My baby is in perfect conditions according to the doctor.. and her defences are really high.. everybody in my house got sick with a virus but she didn't. You are not a bad mother.
  • I have issues that caused me to have a low supply. Im working hard to get it up but it isnt enough. I nurse for 30-45 minutes, if he is still acting hungry I give him formula. This was at the encouragement of his pedeatrician & my LC. I only do formula in public because I'm just not comfortable nursing in public. You are a good mommy.

• I have 3kids 5yr 7yr & 10wks I work full time and their dont really help. I've been really stressing so bad Im not going to be able be to able to exclusively bf anymore. It's too much!!