Nipple Shields

edited November 2011 in Breastfeeding
Does anyone have experience weaning your lo off the shields? I started using it because my daughter took a chunk from my nipple so I needed it to heal. Now I can't get her to feed without it. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and my dd is 6 weeks. How did you get them to feed without it and how long did it take. I dont know what to do every time I try without the shield she screams!

Comments

• you can try starting out with the shield, then in mid feed quickly pull it off and try to latch baby back on once the flow starts going..it takes some babies awhile to wean off of it
  • She won't be fooled!
  • When she pulls herself away take it off and if she gets fussy hold her close to help her calm down then try again without it. Also maybe try pumping for a second to get your nipple bigger and more protruded. That's how I got brody. Its a work in progress if you're frustrated she will feel it and she will get upset as well.
  • It took me months to get Ava off it. I just kept trying over and over. Finally one day she latched on. We have never looked back. Just keep trying. She wanted no part of my real nipple either!