Introducing a bottle - need help from experienced bf mommies

edited November 2011 in Babies "First's"
Ok, my daughter will be 5 weeks on Tuesday. We gave her a bottle for the first time today. We are using Tommee Tippee. There was about 3 oz in the bottle. There was a lot of milk coming out of her mouth once she started sucking on it. I'm not sure if she is just not used to swallowing as fast or if it is too fast of a flow - it says 0m+ which is supposed to be a slow flow. I think she ate at least 2 oz. She is acting like she is still hungry.
I'm not sure how much I should give her. I'm also not sure if these bottles are going to work out. She took the bottle in like 5 mins,

Comments

• hmm not sure....maybe try a different bottle... i use first years breastflow bottles.
  • If she still seems hungry I'd give her another 2 oz to hold her over til her next bottle. You might have to try and experiment with different bottles. I used a smaller nippled bottle to get him use to using a bottle ( this way it was the perfect size for his mouth, I used the medela bottles). And now I've been introducing a larger nippled bottle ( the play Tex drop in bottles as these were the bottles I originally wanted to use) and he's been doing great!
    Every baby's different but I would try different bottles. Cause just like babies, every bottle is different. And even though it may say slow flow on the nipple, another brand might have a better nipple that suits your little one.
    Good luck!!
  • We use tommee tippee as well and we had the same thing happen. LO has been using the bottles for a week and a half now and its gotten a lot better (less milk spilling out of his mouth) my lo is almost 3 weeks and is eating 3-4 oz
  • Raistlin is almost 3 weeks and he eats 3-4oz each feeding, we use avent bottles
  • Thanks @Rosiepie @musicmomma @thankful828 @pawgio. I am going to continue to use these bottles for a week - if it doesn't get better then I'm going to try Dr Brown. I'm not sure how much she actually ate, but she fell asleep and ate again 2 hours later. I'm not sure if it just took her a few minutes to realize she was full.
  • I have the tommee tippie bottles as well and if my Lo isn't extremely hungry and has a firm grip on the nipple he leaks allll over the place! I also have the breastflow
    bottles and he seems to do best with those. We haven't had any nipple confusion with either bottles.
  • I had that same problem. I posted a thread about it about a week ago. I tryed at least 10 diff kinds of bottles. The best I found for this problem is the playtez dropin bottles with the BROWN nipple..not clear & the bottle that came with my evenflo breastpump(I should have just tryed this one first because it is the BEST). The nipple kind of "collapses" when she sucks on it & makes it harder to come out so she gets out a small enough amount that she can swallow it all without some coming out her mouth.