1month old and questions about poop

edited December 2011 in Babies Health
Is it normal for a infant to go red in face and strain when pooping and for it to have force behind it when they go? Correct me if I'm wrong but breast milk makes the poop more texturelike and yellowish. And formula is more loose. And darker greenish color or is that diarreha? My sister thinks my son is lactose intolernt. I go to the doctor tomorrow. I figured if the breast milk or formula wasn't working for him he would be crying all the time which he doesn't only when he is hungry , wanting more or less attention, or if he is tired and fighting sleep

Comments

• My lo still strains alot when she has to poop & then it comes out all runny. Doc said its just her bowels learning to wrk properly.
  • I think hes fine. Sometimes my daughter grunts and turns red. From experience her poop is seedy yellow and sometimes green. It varies the diarreha looks more like mucous, you'll be able to tell. I feed my daughter straight formula, I did both for the first two weeks and it just wasnt working out. If it was problems with the formula he would be a lot fussier. Good Luck!
  • My daughter does that too. I called the doc and they said I could five her 2-3 oz of water, in between feedings. I only gave her 1oz cause I didn't want to mess up her feedings. The doc also said its her getting use to going.
  • Thank you @mimi36 & @munecalinda. My sister had me worried. She changed his diaper yesterday and she said it was runny. She made it sound like it wasn't normal for him to have force behind it when he poops.
  • edited December 2011
    How long after feeding ?? @britt21
  • I give my daughter water between feedings when she gets the hiccups since she was 1 month, it does help. It doesnt matter when or how much but I offer her water as well
  • I atleast wait an hour so her tummy has time to digest @stephforever89