questions about anencephaly...

edited December 2011 in Pregnant
my little cousin is about 23 weeks pregnant and she just found out shes having a little boy, but she also got some awful news...her little boy is missing his cerebellum. she hasnt told anyone besides her mom and sisters and i found out on accident so i dont want to go to her and bring it up. but i was wondering, what does the future hold for her little boy? i dont know exactly what the diagnosis was, just that he is missing his cerebellum...

Comments

• I'm not sure but bump... Hopefully you can get an answer... And good luck to her and baby boy
  • Wow. That is very rare! Somr are able to get over come some of the challenges like walking....very very rare though
  • Have you researched it at all? I've never heard of it hun.
  • I'm very sorry for your family. Most babies that are born with this condition will not survive more than a few minutes to a few hours. It is very rare for them to to live a few months to a few years. I'm very sorry. I think the cerebellum is one of the most important parts of the brain
  • The cerebellum if I'm not mistaking someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's the botton of the brain lol I could be wrong though.
  • Essentially, its a neural tube defect in which the head end of the neural tube fails to close. Here is a link for further info. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly
  • Btw, I'm very sorry to hear this. :(
  • All I know is that one of its functions is balance and coordination.
  • ya i looked up some stuff on google but i didnt really say much. it just said that babies with anencepholy (where most of the brain and cranium/skull is missing) the baby doesnt make it. everything else with the baby is perfect except the missing cerebellum :(
  • edited December 2011
    You're right @TxMommy93011 . It controls motor movement & motor development
    @mommy2chris is right as well. Im very sorry :(
  • :( this makes me sad. & I am teary eyed.
  • its ok. im heartbroken for her :( does anyone know the chances of survival outside the womb? from my understanding she is not terminating and will go full term
  • so would the outcome be like cerebal palsy and ms?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • and yes i started balling when i found out. shes like my baby sister :(
  • I'm so sorry hun. :(
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate idk if baby has been diagnosed with anen, but wen i googled thats what popped up :(
  • :( im heartbroken for her

has anyone experienced anen?
  • So incredibly sorry to hear this:-(
  • I had a cousin who was born with Something like this. She lived and went full term, lived 5 hrs after birth. Very sad. :( I am so sorry to hear this and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
  • does anyone have any advice for when she does come to me for support? shes really young..
  • Thats what happend to me with my first baby. And its 100% baby is not going to make it. My baby died or I should say was born dead. It was really heartbreaking. Im sorry for your cousin.
  • There was a lady on here who lost a little one with it. I don't know if she's still on here though.
  • i dont know if the diagnosis is anencephaly @Camilasmommie so im trying not to automatically assume the worst...

@bigtalkingtori its @Jaime77 and yes she is still a member here. me and her have talked..
  • im just so sad for her :( this is her first child, shes only 15 and to already have such a hard time for being so young, and then getting this information. shes so strong and i love her tons
    im going to try to help as much as i can
  • Ok I talked to my friend who works in NICU she is an RN. She said the cerebellum they can survive, but will have problems with motor skills. She said that it really depends on the severity. She said that the best thing to do is ask how much support the mom wants when baby comes especially. If you have any specific questions she can help with let me know. She's been a nurse in NICU for a long time.
  • @cicelia at Salem hospital? What RN? I love those nurses :)