Would you take your mother to court?

Last year around November, my mother purchased a 4 bedroom house. It needed a washing machine, blinds, re paint and some more fixing up. I might add that I had been working since the age of 15, was managing 3 credit cards that I always paid off completely when it was due. My credit was perfect. So perfect she tried to include my name in the credit check for her home loan approval. I was only 19 at that time! Okay, so we're at home depot & I'm looking at her and noticing how sad she looked so i decided to attempt opening a credit account to help her purchase just the washing machine that we needed. I get approved for $6000 and all hell broke loose. She decided on the most expensive machine set and everything else that was needed was bought on my card. EVERYTHING. She promised that in February she would pay off the card with her taxes. That comes and goes and she doesn't even mention it. Okay. Whenever I bring it up, she yells at me and makes me seem like I'm hounding her and how she doesn't have it and is doing the beat she can. I've only been making minimum payments and as a result the interest went any high so its as if it will never go away. I stopped working this year due to my pregnancy and all my accounts have fallen behind and I am stressed. I'm sure my credit is wrecked now and this $6000 is the worst one. Day before yesterday I asked if she will be able to help pay it off and she flips out on me and hasn't spoken to me since. I never yelled, didn't demand, I just asked because I know tax season is approaching. Ive just started working and ill be damned if I have to pay it! She already bought a tv with my best buy card that ill never be repaid for I see so I gave up asking but not this one! What do I do? I feel like she'll kick me out if I go the legal route.

Comments

• I would, you cant do anything without a good credit score, she needs to learn to do what she promises
  • I would, that is no way for a mother to treat the kindness of her daughter just because she couldn't be responsible. I suppose if you are staying with her though, you could always cut her a little break. If you don't pay rent and use the machines & tv, why not agree to pay a certain amount of what is owed and have her pay the rest?
  • Yes. Most definitely.
  • Your in a tough situation , I personality would try a few more times try explaining to her that you did it from the kindness of your heart . I hope all goes well for you the easy way of not most definitely take her to court :/ sorry that your in such a bad predicament . Best wishes.
  • @misskristin I pay for the groceries and provide my own things. She's made it clear its mine and my boyfriends responsibility to get our things. If I didn't have to use 400$ to clear my bestbuy and then 300$ to clear up t-mobile bill in my name plus all my own other cards that have gone to hell I wouldn't mind. Plus my son. I'm just overwhelmed and she absolutely promised me and is now making me look like shit for asking when its been over a year
  • She always finds money for herself. Clothes shoes and whatever else but is always "broke" when everything else did around
  • And even bought a new damn car.
  • Yup. I def would. Especially if you already pay your own way. If she's got enough money to buy a new vehicle, she's got enough to start to pay her debt to you. But take it as a lesson learned: don't loan money! Unless you have a written agreement with a time frame to pay back, and i'd even get the damn thing notarized lol I hope you didn't cosign on the mortgage though. If she falls behind on mortgage payments it's your responsibility. If she won't pay what she owes you on the washer....that could be a huge NASTY problem. If you did cosign find a way to get off if you can!
  • Jus a suggestion... I would write something up saying everything she has agreed to & try talking to her abt it again... If she blows up i would ask her to sign that paper stating something like she has 6 months to atleast pay half of it off & if she doesnt agree or cant do it then the hard choice comes... Jus make sure before u do this (JUST IN CASE) u find somewhere else for u & ur family to stay so she doesnt hold it against you & try to put u out :( Good Luck
  • Maybe you can convince her to go on one of of those court shows. They will pay it for her...that way u get the money and she isn't out of the money. But you have to go on tv and spill ur dirt a little. Plus they pay you to be on the show on top of the judgement. My friend sued her ex and went on judge Judy .
  • My fiance's grandfather's hospice aide went on people's court lol it was weird to see her on there haha
  • I would maybe it will make her see that u mean business
  • My mother also ruined my credit. I got my credit report a few monthes ago & there are like 4 things up there that isnt mine. I know it was her! I turned 18 on dec 6,20xx and there are credit cards up there that were opened 2 weeks later! Ive never had a credit card in my life. My credit is screwed because of her. The only reason I dont take it to court is because I cant actually prove it was her and because she has my little brother. I dont want her in jail because of him. & she would be put there because she already has been investigated for identity theft before.
  • Oh...ya, court might be the best route then.
  • I would!!! She needs to learn responsibility!
  • Just a tip we always go by: if you give a loan to someone, give without expecting to be repaid. Sometimes you just gotta be the bigger person and cut your losses. If you sue your relationship will probably be destroyed. Just don't ever help her out again. Maybe one day she'll realize what you did and you will be blessed double.
  • i would, the question r u????????????