j

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding

Comments

• She's probably cluster feeding. It helps build ur supply. Could even be the start of a growth spurt which typically both only last a few days.
  • Sounds like she's cluster feeding which is normal. She's helping u build up ur supply.
  • you have enough milk just remember that your body knows what its doing in the begining they eat ALL the time it seems like but they are just building your supply. your boobs always have some milk so dont stress! your baby is not going to go hungry thats what they do in the begining but it will get better maybe try breastfeed more during the day if you can so baby isnt as hungry all at one time. but they eat when they eat you dont have to suppliment
  • When my son cluster fed and I was empty my friend took him (got him away from my smell) and dipped his paci in sugar water. He latched to that and sucked on it long enough for me to get some more milk built up. Try not to give formula because its telling your body to produce more but if you have to then do a little at a time in between bf'ing. Its ok and it will pass.
  • I thought maybe that's what it was..cluster feeding but I didn't really know what that was exactly lol.
    @lilbit01_209 I can't give her a paci she won't take one. I've bought a few different ones she just spits them out lol. I know I really didn't want to give her formula but I thought she was starving.
  • Thats what happened to me. My milk really didnt come in til like 2 Or 3 weeks. Thats y Nyla got bm n formula the First month but when Nyla was 5 weeks i started pumping 3 to 4oz & i pump so much that i get 10oz a sitting lol but Nyla waste my milk bc she only eats 3oz. Try pumping when ur not nursing it helps alot. Did u ask Wic to lend u the double pump???
  • @moodymommie lol i just felt so bad...once she realized it wasn't me she wouldn't take it tho.

@ta2edblondie aw thanks! i know i feel so good because i never breastfed my older two kids. when i gave her formula i felt like i failed...but i didn't give her anymore since. i think she does just use me as a paci. i tried to give her diff pacifiers and she won't take them.

@MrsThompson34 the weird thing is that i thought had enough milk til that day. my right nipple has been sore...not raw but it hurts like its bruised and i feel like its not making enough milk anymore. i tried pumping and i only get 2 oz at the most lol. when did u start getting 3-4oz? i think i should be nurrsing her more during the day but she is always sleeping and i don't wanna wake her. oh and i had one wic appt but they scheduled me for the wrong time so all they did was give me my checks and i don't go back until a month. i totally forgot to ask.
  • I didnt get 3 to 4oz til Nyla was actually 5 Or 6 weeks so ur doing good :) the ppl at Wic told me when Nyla was two months that shes suppose to be eating 2 to 3oz n that should fill them up.
  • @mrsthompson34 can you freeze your milk so you aren't wasting it? That would suck to have to throw out that much milk...I threw out 4oz today cause I forgot I put an extra bottle in the fridge for when hubby watched our lo yesterday while I was at work and that sucked enough lol
  • @britt21 during xmas my mil didnt close the fridge all the way n i had to pour out 30oz. I was upset, i ran out of the freezer bags. I have 20 of the 5oz bags already. So now i just pump about 5 & she drinks 3 & the rest goes to waste :( & when its time to pump again i dont want to give her the milk i pumped hrs ago. I just feel better giving her fresh milk
  • Cluster feeding is what it sounds like. And growth sports are similar.
  • There will be times.when you literally are nursing all day all night. Can last like 3 days or something its crazy but she knows what shes doing. Drink lots of water you can dehydrate quickly and if you feel extra hungry eat you will need the calories to help feed her.
  • I agree with @samantha :) Acually today my 7 week old has been nursing alllll day lol! She goes through days like that. I think she may be having a growth spurt so yea it is def. normal for babies to cluster feed sometimes esp. if she is only 12 days.old. That was like one of the peak times for us.
  • @britt21 & @MrsThompson34 how come you guys are throwing your milk out?
    @MrsThompson34 I understand why you threw it out when the fridge was left open, but why are you still throwing recent milk out?
  • Because i want to give her fresh milk everytime. I produce enough & i ran out of freezer bag @babybubba123111
  • @ta2edblondie yeah I wouldn't try that sugar and water thing. The lactation nurse told me the same about the paci..that's its a good thing she won't take it lol I tried nursing her by waking her every two hours today :)

@samantha yeah so far we had two seperate nights she did that...i had to google cluster feedings and I am sure that's what was happening. I didn't know breastfeeding would be this much work! Lol
  • @mrsthompson34 I throw mines out too. Just pumped a few times when my bresys were full n she was sleeping. I don't wanna feed her from a bottle yet. I use it on my nipples to heal them tho lol
  • Lol do what works best for u. Nyla is picky, she latches on when she wants & i like to give her fresh milk that i just pumped @ every feeding. Its warm & ready to go lol.
  • @MrsThompson34 I was just wondering. If you make more than enough then no harm done. I just thought you thought your milk went bad in a short timeframe or something. I used to dump my milk in the beginning because I made so much of it. Recently I would hand express and put it in bottles and feed her with it throughout the day., Now Ive been feeding her directly from the boob using a nipple shield, because she just wont latch properly. Its been working but I eventually want to get her to latch on her own.
  • @babybubba123111 ive tried the nipple shield n sometimes it stays on my breast n somedays it moves n milk drips n i think pumping works just fine for me.somedays Nyla latches on my breasts on her own. I dont want to force her either way she gets mommies breastmilk. Right now im producing more than enough :) but i have 20 bags of the 5 oz frozed up.
  • Wheres the like button???? lol I wish I can have enough milk stored. Im still learning. I breastfed my ODD for two weeks and I pumped. So I never got the whole breastfeeding experience. Im trying hard to stick with it. This is my last child so I want to have this memory :)
  • @myHEARTZx3 youre doing good so far. I get the whole feeling of thinking youre cheating by giving her a bottle. Thats why Im trying VERY hard to get her used to latching. After this Im going to see a Lactation Consultant for extra help. They gave me a coupon when I left the hospital. So it will be $ 50 compared to $ 150. I didnt know it was so dang expensive X_X
  • Do u have Wic, Wic have LC's that can help u with breastfeeding @babybubba123111
  • @MrsThompson34 Im not on WIC yet. I was going to apply at my 6 weeks appt.
  • Ohh u shouldnt wait, get on it asap. They r a very big help. They lend me the double pump & i still get 4 cans of enfamil. They tried to get Nyla to latch on but it didnt work lol @babybubba123111
  • $150?! That's insane ... I got a certificate ft a years free worth of unlimted time with thr LC the day I was discharged from the hospital.
  • edited January 2012
    @BabyBubba123111 wow that's how much it costs...i had some visits from the lactation consultant in the hospital and one appt with one after I left for free lol. It was so helpful tho because before that my nipples were so sore but she showed me what I was doing wrong and gave me lots of tips and within days my nipples were healed. I can go back anytime I need help.

I love lc they are all super nice!
  • Cluster feeding! You will appreciate this when you have an overabundance of milk! :D Pump it, and throw it in the freezer!
  • @babybubba123111 because I forgot to stick it in the freezer before the 24hrs was up when it sat in the fridge from when hubby was feeding her while I was at work...I guess I pumped an extra bottle and didn't think about how many I already had.
    @mrsthompson34 that's awesome you have that much milk. I have an oversupply so I get about 8 to 9oz in a sitting. So I had a freezer full and just now took it to my parents to store in their deep freezer so I have more room in mine lol
  • @britt21 lol wow thas alot too. My parents have a deep freezer n I think im going to do that too. Lol thanks for the idea BC my freezer is full at house. Plus its good to have some over there if my Babys there :)