no health insurence?? stuckk!

edited January 2011 in Health
Hey. I have a major huge problem..
So my mom told me I have no health insurents!
What do I do??
I'm almost 18 and could be pregnant..
Getting my high school dipolma. With no job.
Does my health insurence affect the baby??

Comments

• Where are you from? Having no health insurance means you can't go to the doctors which means you can't get care and that of course can affect the baby. Good news is, when your pregnant you can get insurance without a question, because you have to be able to go to the doctors for the baby. So if you are go to the doc and tell them you have no Medicaid and see what happens. Best of luck! I hope it all works out well
  • Im from maryland!!
    Thanksss sooo much.
  • Can I just ask why you would be trying to get pregnant knowing you are so young, no money, and no insur? Don't you want to live before being tied down 24/7? I had my first child at 25 and if I had it to do over I would have probably waited longer. You badly need to hang out with someone young that has a baby and really get a sence of what its like. Its not all pretty baby stuff and cuteness. Its staying up all night, then still going to work the nexy day, its not going out with your friends because you don't have a babysitter, changing diapers, washing more clothes than you thought imaginable, dealing with crying that a lot of times doesn't stop regardless of what you do. You have to be able to move everything in your life down to the bottom of the importance scale because this child will be 100% relying on you for everything. That's not something to take lightly. Live life, enjoy the freedom. I'm not saying its not worth it, I'm saying life as you know it now will be over and you need to make sure you've done all the single only-worry-about-yourself living before you have a baby. I've seen so many teens become mothers, and then years later throw their kid off on whoever will take them so they can go party. I'm Not saying all teen mothers do that, but a huge majority of them do. Please think this throgh!
  • Momof3 well said! I'm 37 and married 2. Years and a few months and had so many failed pregnancies due to choices I made at your age. When I look back now I'm glad I waited but its bitter sweet. The wages in FL is not what its cracked up to be so we are concerned about the cost pre and post delivery. Age 18 is not the age to start a family. Its a big responsibility! Good Luck!
  • Sorry but in regards to insurance you should be able to apply with the state or if your Mom has insurance she can cover you up to age 25 or 27 if your student?
  • I'm pretty sure this girl was asking for advice about insurance, not your uninformed opinion on how and when she chooses to start her family. Not everyone needs to go out and and party for 10 years in order to be happy and satisfied with their family. These boards are here for help and support, and she didn't ask you for your negativity. Complain to your husband or your friends about the stuff that bothers you on here, but don't share it unless you're asked, it just makes you look mean.
    As far as insurance issues, there is always medicaid, if you qualify, which you most likely do if you have no income. If not you might be able to get chip for an unborn baby; I know programs like WIC start counting the baby at conception, so maybe chip does, too. If both of those fail, many local clinics have programs for women without insurance, and even if you end up having to pay for it (which would suck) medical bills don't carry interest. As long as you make regular payments (even $5 or $10 per month), you won't go into default on them, they won't get bigger, and they won't effect your credit. It's not a pleasant prospect, but at least it wouldn't leave you completely screwed.
    Btw, WIC is a fantastic program to look into if you can't afford food or formula. I was laid off in the middle of my first pregnancy and couldn't find work (the bump of a 10+lb baby is hard to hide), and WIC seriously saved my family until we got back on our feet. I don't know if you'll be in that position, but there are a lot of options out there if you need help. Good luck!
  • edited January 2011
    @magcaw...well said, I'm 20 years old & I'm 14 weeks pregnant. . .my baby was planned & partying means absolutely nothing to me, I will be 7 months pregnant on my 21st birthday, the age I've been waiting for since I was little, ur life doesn't stop once u get pregnant at a young age, just a new chapter begins..! And @soon2beteenmama, about insurance, there is an extended policy available for pregnant women, you can file online or in ur states assistant offices, no worries, it doesn't take long & they cannot deny you.! :)
  • I totally agree with @magcaw. Only I'll add one more thing, no judging. Definitely get everything straightened out before you get deep into your pregnancy. Show everyone how mature you are by getting a job and searching out some insurance! This will help shut everyone up!! ;) I was 19 when I got prego w my first, and I grew up QUICK! Its possible to do, but it is hard! I'm 28 now and I'm prego w my second. It's still going to be a struggle, but you make changes and be flexible and you make it work....and we even planned it this time! Good luck to you on your endeavours hun! Xoxo
  • To each their own, if you notice I said NOT all teen mothers do this. On the flip side I've worked at a local children's hospital ER for five years and see daily all the babies the teen parents have left for others to raise, or have abused and even a few that have been killed at the hands of the parents because the parent couldn't handle the stress. Myself, I have never been to a party or club- but I'd like to know that every person has thought through their choices when it comes to a helpless baby. Until you have seen what I have seen, and held a crying baby that's mother sent it in an abulance but wouldn't get out of the bed to come to the hospital and pick it up, you also need not judge My opinion.
  • After thought: tough love is harder than telling people what they want to hear. I don't care if people think I'm being mean - responsiable parents will regonize that I'm being honest instead of sugar coating it. Its not easy, its not something to take lightly. Is parenthood worth it? Yes. Do you need to make sure you are ready to parent? Hmmm.... ask every child whose teen mother left them with grandparents/aunts etc and see how they feel.
  • I agree @magcaw, I grew up fast, I had too so it might just be me I had to raise my sisters when I was 9 I had 2 older sisters one 11 & the other 13 & a newborn sister, so I know how tough it is I never really got to be a kid, with that said, I moved in with my husband @ 17 had my first 1 at 17 I am 21 now and fixing to have my 3rd and I would not change it for anything in the world.
    As for insurance if you do not have a job, & your mom cannot cover you on insurance you should be able to go to your closest state building and apply for Medicaid. I would call before going though because there is quite a bit of things you need to take with you. Also just like @magcaw WIC is a wonderful program. I was able to get formula for my daughter when my husband got laid off, he works in car factory when all the layoffs occurred. Good luck with everything sweetie I hope the best for you!
  • Well thanks and I love and appriciate @magcaw, @MomOfThree,@katlilly, and @Jody_11.

I didn't ask for the extra remarkes. And I didn't plan it when I don't even know how to plan it..lol!
    I just looked at my calender and write down when I have sex till someone told me you can get pregnant during your obv. Or fertile. I don't know what those things even mean until now. Hence the age of being a teen.!!! If I have to grow up I will. Its best I do it now, then 30 years from now.
    It was my choice to lay down and have unprotected sex. So it would be my lesson to take care of another. Ready or not. Here or not. :) thank you.
  • it's not only teen parents that neglect or abuse children. Watch the news...it's full of crazy people who harm children. I have worked in an ER as well as ICU and there are people of all ages that aren't ready or don't have the right kind of make up to care for others. To be fair I've seen what you have seen....BUT this girl didn't say she was trying to get pregnant she said she might be...and she asked about insurance help which shows me she is concerned about the health of her child. Unexpected things happen in life but it's how we choose to deal with them that separates adults from children no matter the physical age. Good luck to all and I hope we all have healthy babies!
  • @soon2beteenmommy you are welcome If you have any questions that I might be able to help you with let me know, I had to grow up very early and understand what you are feeling. Good luck!
  • no, your lesson would be to get treated for an std, not to spend the next 19 years caring for a child. you decide to have unprotected sex having no idea when you can get pregnant, how a womans cycle works, when you are most fertile. so nice of you to consider this after the fact. a mistake is a condom breaking or your pill not working. having sex knowingly unprotected says "I don't give a shit, I'm just a silly dumb little teenager who has no idea what responsibility is".

the real lesson is going to be for your kid, "I don't want to grow up to be like mommy"
  • Only God can judge her so take you snotty comments somewhere else I'm 19 and pregnant and I am going to be an amazing mother! Your age doesn't make your child love you less I'm not saying she it was the best thing maybe for her but she is asking for help not hateful people putting there 2 cents in
  • oh, I love when people throw god into the mix. I never mentioned her age did I? I mentioned her level of maturity, information, knowledge, and responsibility. I never mentioned she was going to not love her baby, I just said she's ignorant. there's my 2 cents, spend them wisely.
  • Why don't you just keep it to your self goodness your being the immature one if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything you being a mother I would think you knew that saying
  • Wow @michelya. :O

I do have to agree on one thing...if your going to have unprotected sex then every teenager/girl/woman, whatever, should learn about their cycle and ovulation. When are you most likely fertile? When is your next period due? Stuff like that.
    I was 17 when I got pregnant with my first and I'm here to tell ya, no one is ready to take care of another humans life at that age but I did. It has not been easy at all. But I'm doing it. I'm almost 22 and due with my second in April. I'm more stressed out now than I was with my first because I know the struggle ahead of me. Granted, I have an amazing family and a good career, no problems with insurance, I have my own home and pay my own bills...but for anyone, a new baby is a lot of work. Regardless if you're 17 or 30, it's a lot of work.
    Knowing your responsibility for your child and always putting it first is what makes you a good parent.
  • Okay ladies.... we should be supporting people get in these situations one way or another.... we should try to be supportive and not judge.... but as a ex young mom you hear that everywhere.... and she is entitled to her opinion but the one thing you can do that works better than words is just proving everyone who talked bad about what you would do wrong.... supply for yourself.... don't depend on anyone.... you will have so much respect for yourself and pride....
    Wish you luck though
  • agree completely @lovemyboys
    I am in the exact same boat!
  • I have zero issues with teen mothers, I have one of my own. I have issues with pure ignorance that gets you there in the first place, the inability to reason, think ahead, the assumptions that go with the above, and the concequences everyone else is stuck with because of the above.
  • its one think for an oops pregnancy to happen, its a complete different to have unprotected sex and say "omg! I think I'm pregnant!"
  • Well some times its not planned.... I was on BC and used a condom with my daughter
  • i do agree.... you know what you are heading in to with unprotected sex but they still need support
  • @michelya
    Stfu! You sound ignorant.
    G.t.f. off this site.
    I don't need your help or words..
    And noone said omg I think I'm pregnant, I'm looking at different opitions in case I am. Never said oh I'm 17 and I'm so happy to be pregnant I just can't wait, I knew everything about planned pregnancies. NO! So stfu!

And @katy thanks for the backup.
  • We are all on this site for the same reason. We are pregnant, we are mothers, and none of us deserves to be in this position any more than another. I'm not suggesting that you opinions are wrong, or that you haven't seen awful things or that there aren't teen moms who are deadbeats. My sister is an ER nurse as well, and her favorite thing to do is call me on her way home from work to share her stories with me-I think it's how she gets through the heartache that she sees so regularly. So yes, I know that you are making valid points. But what you've seen at work doesn't translate to what this girl's life will be. What I'm saying to you, @momof3, is that there is a time and place to make your opinions known-namely, when you're asked. It's a lesson that is hard to learn, but one that you should definitely take into consideration. It's our responsibility as members of this forum to respect the boundaries of the other people on here-because on here we are all equals. You are crossing those boundaries by voicing opinions that you weren't asked for. There are stories that I've read on here that just make me so sad, and I worry for every young mom and for every unplanned pregnancy that I hear about because I know how hard things are going to be for them. But it's none of my business (or yours) and you should try to remember that.
  • @michelya - You are right. I have seen it hundreds of times. Teenager gets pregnant, has no idea about anything, has the baby and next thing you know they have thrown it towards Grandma's way or some else. That is very sad. Not just for the child growing up without their Mother in their life but its also sad for the Mother because she has no idea was she just threw away and what all she is missing.

This girl above has not done this. But she has found herself in a position that she knows nothing about and she is reaching out for help.
    Trust me, I understand your thoughts and feelings towards Mothers who pick something else over their own children but then I start to think- what kinda life would that child have if they stayed with a Mother that didn't want them? They would be neglected and abused and never shown how special they are.

Again, this girl has not done this but she is asking for help in case she is pregnant so she can better her and her baby.
  • @LoveMyBoys
    Thank you so muchh,
    May god bless your soul.
    You are my idel and inspiration.
    You are truly the best mom on here. Thank you.
  • @soon2beteenmama -
    Ohh no, I am far from the best Mom but I know I am a good one. Almost 22, I have been through more than my share of experiences. It makes us who we are today. The more struggle you have in your life-the harder you work at it-the more you learn from it. Of course, depending on the choices you made towards the struggles.
    The only way to learn is by living.