Nursing strike or self weaning???

edited February 2012 in Breastfeeding
My LO will be 5 months on the 24th and breastfeeding has been going great. Well the last couple of days she has not wanted to nurse. She is fussy every time I put her to the breast. She takes a bottle fine and I unfortunately I cant stop giving her one since I have to go to school. She does get oatmeal once a day at night around 630. Is she weaning? I really don't want to stop nursing since my custody agreement is centered around it. Any tips how to get her to continue breastfeeding.

Comments

• Maybe she has thrush?
  • She has had thrush before and I don't see any white patches in her mouth. Also I don't have any signs of it in my breasts. If she had thrush wouldnt she not want to eat even from the bottle? @squirt299

• My daughter started doing that around 5 months too, u just gotta keep giving her your breast as much as possible! I thought maybe it was gas and laying in that position maybe hurt her tummy...also the bottles flow might be faster then the breast so i think when she was tired she just didn't wanna work so hard... now if she does that i give her gas drops 20 mins before feeding & then i swaddle het & she does much better! Good luck hun!
  • edited February 2012
    I literally just went through this 2 days ago and was a wreck. Thankfully it's better now. I found out it's highly unlikely for a baby will self wean before the age of 1. This website helped me to discover the problem... http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/alisa_ikeda.html
  • Maybe she's getting some teeth
  • My daughter would get so upset when i put her to the breast but she would take a bottle immediately after. Since it started happening out of the blue rather than gradually i thought something else had to be wrong since weaning happens over time. It could have been any number of things but i think it was my supply dipping lower from being sick and it frustrated her plus she had a stuffy nose. But some babies can go on nursing strikes for no particular reason. Try not to stress... it'll likely go back to normal in a few days. Keep offering your breast often and try skin to skin feedings. That worked for me. Good luck! :)
  • Uhm I dont no u might want to call a lactation counselor or ur doctor,?
  • My son does that I ussully give him 3 bottles a week (when we out ) so when he fire that I just try comfort him massage him talk to him and if I feel frustated I just keep repeating myself if he's hungry he will eat and so far worked and no bottles no no no
  • edited February 2012
    introduction to food to early may result in early weaning. maybe she is teething? but some babies want to nurse more during that time? give LO some kind of teething aid and see if that helps. try to keep offering to nurse her before any food or bottle. hopefully its a phase! :)
  • So for the first time in 8 months my Lil one is on a nursing strike... I think it has everything to do with how bad his ears are infected right now and I hope that it gets better after the he gets his tubes put in.