Prescription to increase supply

edited February 2012 in Breastfeeding
I refuse to give up. Ever since I went back to work almost 2mos ago, my supply has been dropping. I took fenugreek n saw OK results. I then switched to More Milk Plus n didn't really see a change. I'm wondering if I'm getting immune to the herbs so I'm goin back to fenugreek/blessed thistle n upping the dosage starting today. I'm also nursing him more often when I'm home. My lo eats 4oz every 3 hrs n he's almost 4 months. Is that enough? I'm not even producing 4oz total when I pump now Who has taken a prescription to increase their supply? I've read bad stories about reglan. What's the other drug and what's the dosage (like mg)???

Comments

• My doc told me about that prescription...but she told me she DOES NOT recommend it b/c it has some weird possible side effects...(stiff neck), so I said okay, soo NOT taking that med.lol
  • I wish my doc would give it but she doesn't. I'll take the side effects.
  • I took reglan and it made me super mega jittery where i felt like i wanted to jump out of my skin and i couldnt sit still at all. Tried fenugreek, didnt work, tried gatorade, didnt work.. i gave up. Not all women can do it and i proved that.. i tried as many things as i could and nothing worked. Good luck.
  • It also made me very very depressed :(
  • I took reglan for two days. it made me so unbelievably tired i couldnt take care of my son. so i stopped it. Continued to pump guve him boob and id he was still hungry give him formula. Good luch mama!
  • @clope18 @mimii36 @jessannengland @mommyofchristmasbaby @kristaf22 wow I knew there bad stories out there! Yea I don't have time or energy to deal with crazy side effects. I'veheard there's another drug and am curious about it. We have formula ready and my freezer supply just ran out. Looks like he'll get his first bottle of formula tomorrow. This sucks. Im sad. He latches perfectly too. :-S
  • @kristaf22 yes plz. I'm willing to make a drive if needed, but ill start by giving them a call
  • Yea there's one that starts with a D...Dopermine or something like that. You can order it online.
  • Domperidone? My wic woman told me about it and i asked my doctors and my ob or fam doc wouldnt prescribe it, im pissed and they can f**k theirselves. Had to give up something i wanted to do cuz they suck....
  • Oh man this is one of the reasons I don't think I should go back to work. I already have low supply and take the fenugreek and still have to give my lo some formula I can't imagine my supply going down even more :(... Good luck to u of u find anything out to help the supply go up please let me know.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Try nursing him every 1-2 hours. Just him sucking will help increase your supply better than any medications. Even though you only get 4oz when pumping, that doesn't indicate how much is truly there and how much your little one gets when nursing.

There is no miracle pill and the risks outweigh the benefits which is why these doctors do not like to prescribe them now. Reglan causes tardive dyskinesia and it is a HORRIBLE horrible side effect that is permanent and debilitating. :(
  • Pump between feeds to trick your body into thinkin there is more demand, havw extra water and gatorade and massage breasts, thats what I did x
  • Its domperidone, the generic version is motilium. I take it because I have a low suply. I get it online from inhousepharmacy.biz. They are based out of new zeland. I still dont have a full supply but double what I used to have. It doesnt cross the blood brain barrier so there are no side effects. I tried reglan first and had horrible side effects. You can read about it on kellymom.com
  • @kristaf22 I talked to Rachel today. She was pretty helpful n very sweet. She suggested pumping in between feedings or nursing every 2 hrs instead of 3. Also said to take enough fenugreek until my skin smells like syrup. So that's the plan.
    @homebirthadvocate @captivated ty for your feedback I always appreciate your advice
    @three_cats_n_a_baby yep the midwife was telling me tons of fluids, not all water, and that the sodium in Gatorade would help prevent 'water toxemia' or something like that (although rare) if I was taking in too much water
    @catben that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm going to give this another week or so of extra nursing + increased fenugreek. The domperidone is my last resort. Thx for including that site. I was also planning on buying online but was having trouble locating a site that looked secure/legit
    @Jules yea I'm pretty bummed but I also heard that it can be psychological too. So I'm going to try to stay positive n not stress too hard about it. Ill let you know how this all goes. I'm not going to stop anyway unless I stop producing all together. I just need to get back to & to maintain what he's eating while I'm away and increase it a bit more.
  • PS. I love pregly n all you helpful lovely ladies. So so grateful.
  • There is a brand beer that has a high amount of yeast in it that can help increase your supply. I am told if you drink on its not that high in alcohol presentage and can really help. I hate beer so ill never try or but ask your doc and see. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks you I can't wait to hear all about it I hope there is hope for us :) and we can produce more milk for our lo.