spanish speaking sitter

edited March 2012 in Ages & Stages
I just found out I have to get a new sitter by next week. The one that was recommend speaks broken English and Spanish do you think this may hurt my five month old's developing English? Personal experiences would be great!

Comments

• No, I don't. My daughter started going to a Spanish speaking babysitter at three months. She has had no problems and is actually advanced in the speech area
  • @eiralynnesmommy thank you!!! That makes me feel better!
  • Its a great way for baby to learn 2 languages! :) Its does advance speech
  • I am so depressed that I need to find another sitter. First one quit. Second one said she had room but doesn't now. Now I have to interview again! All in two months. I think I am going to quit my job after this school year. I can't take this anymore! My poor baby is being bounced around!
  • I am seriously sick to my stomach depressed!!!!!
  • This is supposed to be my relaxing spring break!!!
  • Aww, don't think it will affect her speech. But just make sure she can at least understand you and will know to do things the way you want them done. My bro and I had a Spanish speaking sitter when we were young, she could only speak enough English to say very broken sentences. She was a horrible sitter! She couldn't understand hardly anything we said... My parents had to fire her cuz she would get frustrated and just go sit in her car.
  • YES ... get a new sitter. My daughter who is now 19, her sitter spoke English and Spanish fluently. She made it a point to speak to the children in Spanish and English. Like a lot of people I thought it was absolutely fabulous. Yeeeeah my daughter can learn English and Spanish at the same time.

You have to remember... When your child comes home, you can't continue to speak both languages so its not a repetitions learning habbit.

I found that my daughter was becoming confused at times. I was confused at times and it also delayed her speaking. It took her a lot longer to group words in a sentence because she was using English and Spanish that don't match.

I had a little black child speaking broken English and Spanish... LOL

My middle children... I would read "Brown Bear" in the Spanish version to them over the years. They were reciting it back by two years old. And at 8 and 10 years old they recognize the words by site and sound.

I guess whatever works for you tho.
  • I agree with @YNVTish my niece has a hard time speaking...she is nine now and My bro in.law is Dominican. He speaks Spanish all the time and so does his mom and siblings. I always have a hard time understanding her even now at nine. Bc they also speak English/Spanish like they say some words in English then also in the same sentence they speak Spanish...I think it confuses her. When she was alot younger she would babble...my daughter is about a year younger and spoke/speaks alot clearer than her and was saying more before my niece. My mom even said she still has a hard time understanding my niece.
  • @Mom2ING the post says the sitter speaks broken English, so not good English. I would think if your learning English from someone who can't speak proper English and speaks mainly Spanish it could be a problem. I mean my parents spoke German sometimes which I learned but also spoke proper English and were fluent in both. There is a big difference between speaking broken English and Spanish as opposed to good English and good Spanish...my niece was in the same situation...her grandma spoke broken Englis and Spanish and also mixes them alot. Therefore it confused her. If she could speak both fluent and not broken I think it would be absolutely fine. I've taught my daughter German but we speak English mainly.
  • I wouldn't worry about it. My babysitter watches around 5-6and kids, none of which have Spanish as a primary language. None of them are hard to understand. My daughter at 9 months speaks more words (clearly) then children that are a year and a half. She can also say a few Spanish words, and has no problems with either. I know Spanish, but do not speak it with her. It depends on the kid, some children just don't speak as clearly as others.

Don't stress @momaynot, your child will be fine regardless.
  • Your child will be fine! Lol. It's not like your child is there for 16 hours a day. My sitter from the age of 9mo-4 spoke only spanish. I was reading 4th grade level books in kindergarten and speaking better english than my entire kindergarten class. Don't stress it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree with mom2ing and I will be speaking both English/Spanish to my lo. It's an advantage to be bilingual for example; I get paid more at my job because I am bilingual.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks ladies. Like @sehra4177 said it is the broken English I am worried about. No she is not there 16 hours but 8 out of 12 that she is awake. That is 2/3 of her day. It would almost be better if she only spoke Spanish all day.
  • edited March 2012
    @momaynot that is exactly what I was saying, it would almost be better to have one or another. I would try it or do it temp and just keep looking for a new sitter, just set her up with expectations that it would be temporary.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't think thats a problem. it's good to be bilingual. :-) . es bueno.