Are Energy Drinks bad for pregnant women?

edited April 2012 in Pregnant
Just curious. I don't drink any, I was just wondering if I wanted to have one could I?

Comments

• Yep.

They're not even healthy/safe when you're not pregnant.
  • Wow thanks that explained everything ;;) @musicgalwantsababy

Why is it not safe when your not pregnant? @captivated
  • I recently heard on the news about a teenage girl who drank two of the monster drinks and then went into cardiac arrest and died.
  • @My2Boys Well that's enough to get me to never wanna drink it. Did she have any health problems before she drank them?
  • It said she didn't and they talked about the amount of caffine in it being waaaay over the normal limit
  • They can be addicting. I drank them like regular sodas before I got pregnant. Sometimes 2 a day and a 5 hour energy. I craved them constantly when I was preggo but I didn't give in. That broke my habit and I've only had 2 in since I had my lo 6 months ago.
  • They have caused miscarriages :(

And many regular, healthy people have died from them. I still love red bull tho!
  • I drank red bull while preggo and my baby boy came out perfectly healthy! He is the most calm and quiet baby I've ever seen. Just putting my experience in here
  • Funny drinking an energy drink and baby coming out calm and quiet. Cool! @Bmccaskill
  • Yeah everyone told me that he was gonna be hyper and cry all the time and he never makes a sound!! He is so good and has been sleeping through the night since 3 months
  • I don't drink energy drinks, but I drink coffee. I have twins, a husband in the oilfield, and I'm a full time student about to graduate in two weeks. Sooooo I have to have a boost! My doctor said as long as I'm not drinking two pots a day I'm safe!
  • Energy drinks are stronger than coffee.
  • @MrsStanley_x2 My Hubster is an oiler too! :D
  • Like @mimii36 said. MUCH stronger! I just wouldn't risk it. There are many women who smoke, do drugs, and other things that are contraindicated in pregnancy that have perfectly fine babies, but it's really just rolling the dice. That's just me though :)

"Women who consumed 200 milligrams or more of caffeine per day had twice the miscarriage risk as women who consumed no caffeine, the study concluded.

Take for instance, a standard cup of auto-drip coffee. An 8-ounce mug will have roughly 140 milligrams of caffeine.

"But most people don't actually measure out a measuring cup of coffee," says Flanagan. "And how it's brewed makes a difference, too."

If your morning starts with a stop at Starbucks, one tall coffee has roughly 240 milligrams of caffeine."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Fate you must be from the Midwest, too!
  • @jdensma That's true as long as we don't go crazy with it.
  • @mimii36 obviously an energy drink would have way more caffine compared to coffee :) drinking a little coffee is less risky then energy drinks apparently.
  • @Bmccaskill I was a calm and quiet baby also, no one would have ever thought that now since obviously I've changed so much. Lol.
  • @MrsStanley_x2 I'm from Michigan but recently moved to California. He does work ALL over the midwest!
  • @aishamusa someone else kind of compared them to coffee...I was just saying coffee wasn't as strong. I was saying the same thing @captivated said.
  • I wasn't really comparing, just making the point if you need caffeine bad enough, coffee isn't as bad. At least my doctor told me as such, anyway.
  • @MrsStanley_x2 yea I knew what you were saying.
  • You should limit your caffeine intake while pregnant...I drank a whole can a few years ago and that thing had my heart racing. I think they're bad for everyone.
  • @Fate Stop showing off lol!! :-D

@MrsStanley_x2 Which is why I drink more coffee then energy drinks. I was only curious about what kind of affect an energy drink would have on a pregnant person, and if it was exceptable to drink it.
  • I don't drink energy drinks at all they r just disgusting caffine in small doses is ok while you are pregnant but I wouldn't drink an energy drink or a mountain dew a day but that's just my personal thing