high bilirubin level of 17--worried

edited May 2012 in Health
So my baby was born last Tuesday and was found to be jaundiced. His levels kept going up and when they hit 15 they placed him under the bili lights and had me supplement a little bit of formula after breastfeeding. I did and his levels hlwent down to 10. Right before he was discharged they went back to 11 or so. Today they checked them and they're at a 17. Tomorrow we get another lab drawn. Does any one know what I should do??

Comments

• Nurse him as much as you can and put him in the sunlight for 10 -15min at a time several times a day
  • Oh and here is a bump in case I'm misinforming you good luck hun =)
  • Hes been nursing every 3-4 hours but my husband and I are going to try every 2 hours nursing with a little formula to see if that will help. Wehave been putting him kinda by a window for the sun the past few days
  • Take him outside and nurse him in just a diaper in direct sunlight if you can!
  • keep on nursing! it will help mature his liver as far as sunlight goes my daughters pedi said it was a myth. but who knows :)
  • Yes nurse more! And sun! ^^
  • Agreed with all the ladies, direct sunlight and nurse, nurse, nurse :)
  • My lo was jaundice and my midwife said bf babies can be jaundice longer because the bilirubin stays in the system longer :-( Sorry its not advice just a little fyi ;-)
  • my babygirl had the same thing she was in the nicu for 5 days under the light the more they poop the better the billirubin is excreted through the poop so continue to breastfeed as much as possible it will go down good luck!!!!
  • Thanks ladies. His Color looks a bit better today but we'll see when his new lab comes in today...
  • edited May 2012
    @kayleigh27 ... What is your blood type vs. Your baby? My daughter went through the same thing. She's AOB and I'm B and when I nursed her her body was fighting of the bloodcells in my milk ... Well really her body was rejecting the cells. Not sure how but the jaundice was helping her to reject it.

They had me bottle feed her for 24 hours and test again.. and they noticed a dip in count. I also placed her in the window seat necked for a few times that day.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/newborn_care/jaundice.html
  • My son had it. But they sent me home an about an hour later I had a medical van in my drive way delivering me a light and a blanket that he had to sleep on for a few days. Then got checked after a few days and he was fine.
  • @ynvtish I'm o+ I had this problem with my last child she was A+. I'm guessing this is what happeneing with my son but they never told me his blood type