Leaving Your Dog in the Vehicle

Some of you may know that we're staying in a suite until we can move our furniture out here from Michigan. Well, we have German Shepherd with us, and it is impossible to take her everywhere with us. She's 4 months old. She doesn't potty in the room or make any noise whatsoever. I go to leave yesterday for grocery shopping and walk passed the front desk and the lady at the desk stops me and asks me where the dog is. I tell her in our suite. She then tells me that I can't leave the dog in the room by itself. Ummmmm yes I can. "Would you leave your kids in the room by theirselves? It's written clearly in the pet policy that you can't leave animals unattended in the hotel." Oh, my bad... I must have skipped over that part. I apologize and ask for a copy of it. She gives me one and I head upstairs to get the dog. I sit down and read over the policy. Well, it clearly states that you CAN leave your animals unattended in the room. It says you can't leave them in the lobby, or laundry area, but it says they are fine in the room and that they're not responsible if a pet gets out during housekeeping, which we don't use, ever. So, I call the desk and ask her where it says I can't leave the dog in the room. She says, "YOU JUST CAN'T!! If you leave the dog in the room, I will call animal control to remove it. That's your choice if you want to risk animal control investigating you for endangering your animal". I hung up the phone after an irritated "bye". Here in California, it is ILLEGAL to leave your pet in a vehicle even with the windows cracked. Well, it was 80 degrees yesterday and I'm pretty sure the dog would die if I left her in the truck while shopping. I left her in the room anyways. I came back 2 hours later, and my dog was happily waiting for me in the kitchen when I opened the door. So, either risk getting the dog taken, even though the pet policy says I can leave her, or go to jail and be fined for leaving her in the truck, and possibly killing her? What would you do?

Comments

• Exactly Wat u did ! The hell wit her lol ! She knew it wasn't in that book that's y she didn't call animal control
  • Leave her in the room because animal control won't take her without a reason.
  • I'd do the best thing for the dog, which you did :-)
  • @Mrz_Jackson, @Mimii36, @willowthewisp Thanks, that's what I thought. She was basically trying to force me to break the law. I'm speaking with her manager on Friday about this.
  • yeah if the policy states you can leave her in the room then there's nothing she can Do
  • I love you @fate!

:X >:D<
  • @TheTrondsons1st Exactly!

@Mijita No, I love you! ;)) ;;) :x
  • Yea animal control can't get you for endangerment just for leaving them in the room. It's just like if it were your house.
  • Leave her in the room. Im not quite sure how that is considered endangering an animal :-?
  • I would file a complaint against her. Chained up outside, vehicle, no food/water/place to sleep or run, abusing, dog fights are all abuse. Leaving in a building which is essentially your home, is not abuse. Some people! :-|
  • I would complain to management for how rude she was and insist that you receive a new copy of the policy when/if the current one changes and until then, you will obey the current version of it :)
  • How dare you! Your dog could have burnt the place down making pancakes!! No wait--that's children unattended. Hmm. The lady sounds like she was ragging it and needed someone to take it out on. When I used to work retail, we'd call overhead if someone left their dog in the car...if they didn't fix the issue immediately, we'd call the cops. I wouldn't leave my dogs in the car. No way. :/ You did what I would do. I'd also highlight the policy where it said it was okay to leave the animal in your suite and shove it up her rear :P hah
  • LOL duh, what's the difference between that and leaving the dog at your house lolol?! What a dumb broad. She must be on her period or something.
  • @rtmommy lmao @ the pancakes
  • Some people are not meant to be dog owners (ahem... my sisters). I'm happy you are a responsible and considerate owner. Lucky pooch.

Sounds like she just had a beef with you period and was fishing for an excuse to have a confrontation. Boy, did you win one over on her, ha ha ha. Bet she wasn't expecting to hand over a copy of that pet policy (evil grin).

You go girl!! \:D/
  • No way in hell would I leave my dogs in the car!!!! That irritates the heck outa me that someone would suggest that!!! Even if animal control did come out, you could so make her pay the fines to get it back (which I don't believe they'd take the dog anyway unless for some reason you care enough about it to not leave it in a super hot car but you don't feed it ever) ha. Ooooh I'd so file a complaint.
  • I have left her in the car one time, the windows were completely down. I was at a birthday party and only stayed for a few. We chatted with a few people, didn't stay for the cupcakes or to open gifts. I parked directly across from the driveway, she had her head out the window and a little boy that was walking stopped to pet her when we came out. I was even scared to do that. Granted, it wasn't 80 degrees, but it was warm out. I even filled my cupholder with water for her. Half of it was gone when we came out. If I had stayed any longer, I am positive she would have had some heat effects. Never again.
  • You evil dog owner, how dare you not chain the dog to yourself and drag it along with you eveywhere you go!!
    So does that make every person who leaves their dog at home is cruel to animals? What garbage, ridiculus woman!
  • @tinka1326 I think she just really hates people. She is horrid to everyone here.
  • @Fate I spoke with my best friend who has been a hotel manager for 12 years. His words were 'the employee had no right whatsoever to even imply the guest was doing any wrong doing. If the employee sensed something was wrong, they would need to speak with their manager and the manager would speak with the guest. For her to harass you was unacceptable, especially since she wasn't speaking truthfully on their policy.' He said file a complaint with her manager, corporate and even the BBB.
  • @luvmy5 She seriously made me feel like dog poop. Then she told my husband that I hung up on her and was yelling. My husband laughed and said yeah riggggght, my wife doesn't yell. Ever. She's a very unpleasant lady!
  • That is awful. Is she so miserable that she has to spew it to everyone else? Never yell? Lol, I rarely do, but when I do I am serious. I think it makes it more stressful when you yell. I hope the company rectifies it.
  • edited May 2012
    File a complaint and wouldn't leave my pet in a car!! There's my answers!

The only pets I have are fish btw:)
    I'm allergic.. and my son is starting to be..his eyes swell up like he was punch in both eyes...it gets bad!!!
  • @nameless reptiles are good too for allergy prone people... I have w beautiful python that my kids adore and they are super low maintenance
  • What if you had a fish? Or bird? Or cat? Are you supposed to take them with you too?? Lol what an asshole!! Sounds like she was just being a big vagina for no reason!