High fevers and vomiting *update*

edited June 2012 in Babies Health
My three year old and ten month old have both been vomiting and running high fevers all day. No sore throat. No other symptoms...I am taking them to the doc in the morning, but have any of your ladies kids had this lately? If so, what did it turn out to be? It isn't food poisoning.

Comments

• Funny because I was about to tag you! @kristaf22
  • I heard the flu is going around.... but that is in PA
  • My son had something like this 2 weeks ago. High fever of 104 & projectile vomiting. I'm assuming it was a really bad virus because all the tests the ran on him came up negative, but he was back to himself in about a weekweek.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A WEEK?! @ericaK22, nooooo. I can't miss that much school! Oh please don't let me get this!
  • I assume it's just a virus which is why I didn't rush them to the ER. I avoid that place at all costs for childhood illnesses. I just worry about the high fevers not coming down especially with my daughters history of seizure from it. :(
  • I didn't think it was ever going to go away! After maybe 3 days his symptoms lessened, but it took a full week for him to be himself. The whole time he didn't want to do anything but stay on boob 24/7 and sleep. Good luck! I hope they start feeling better soon!!
  • @ericaK22, BD doesn't work until 3pm tomorrow and is upset that I "want" to stay home (we can only miss one day per semester or we fail and I can't go back until october if I do because I'll be maxed on my GI Bill for the school term). He doesn't understand that our son will need me there to EAT! He doesn't take bottles which isn't a huge deal because when I am in school, he eats regular food. He has nursed ALL day today! And if he's feeling crappy tomorrow, he will do the same thing. I told BD he really didn't want to be home with him all day like that. Plus, if he doesn't drink anything, with the vomiting, he will be SO dehydrated!
  • there is a bug going around but around here..not sure about there lol. do your babies take extra vitamins when they are sick?
  • Mine did she had a virus an ear infection then my other kids caught the virus its horrible hope they get better
  • @bahamamama4828, no... :-S My daughter takes her regular vitamins everyday, but I don't give anything to my son!

@Mrz_Jackson, ah. Good to know. Definitely going to see the doc tomorrow just to rule out any kind of bacterial infection that would require antibiotics.
  • My daughter had to have them but she was only 12 wks at the time but yea my other 2 was better by the next day
  • aside from the regular meds, I usually give my 2 yr old 200mg of vit c, flavored cod liver oil for the vit d and a, a probiotic daily. I also give him and my 9 yo elderberry syrup when they are sick, it seriously knocks it out really fast! and coconut water for hydration. my 7 mo doesnt get anything either, just my milk and some food lol
  • Okay, I will have to refer to this when I get paid. Any recommendations on where to get this stuff?
  • Both mine have vomited to day but no fevers...my almost four old does do like most kinds and get the stomach bug for 24 hers usually last the whole week
  • I usually order mine on vitacost.com (because its discounted) but you can find those most health food stores and the coconut water is at most grocery stores. (My kids are never sick with this regimen, so I'd like to think its working lol)
  • Thank you so much @bahamamama4828!

@eeyore, I hope yours don't come down with a fever!
  • Virus is going around, my baby is still not eating solids (throws them up) and drinking half the formula she ate before and it has been almost a week. I got a hint of it, still little appetite with me and I got it the day after her. Hope everyone's babies get better soon!
  • Lily, my 10 month old is going through the same thing, minus the vomiting. She was running a high fever (103.8), and I couldn't get it down. She was eating, and her happy normal self. It wasn't until last night that again at 103.8, she became lethargic, her respirations were at 72/minute and her eyes began to roll to the back of her head. I have her tylenol and rushed to the hospital because I thought she was having or about to have a febrile seizure. Temp at hospital was 104.2!

Long story short the ER dr was an idiot and I took her to her ped this morning. Turns out the dr thinks her minor ear infection is secondary to a viral infection that is going around.

Your poor babies! I'm stressed dealing with one sick baby. I hope they feel better soon!
  • I'm so sorry @mijita! My daughter had a seizure because of her fever of 105.6! Yes, THAT high! I never drove so fast in my life and after triaging her (and confirming the temp because they didn't believe me), we sat in the waiting room for THREE hours!
  • She had a spinal tap because they suspected meningitis. Found nothing and sent us home. She ended up developing rheumatic fever because it was untreated strep for two weeks. NO ONE tested for it in the two ambulance trips, three doctors appointments and FOUR ER visits.
  • edited May 2012
    Omgggg!! How horrible! Yeah the, ER dr wanted to take an xray AFTER he told me her lungs sounded clear, IDIOT! Why expose my baby to radiation if it's not needed. He took one look at my face and said, well am xray is not really necessary. Damn right it's not!

Your experience sounds like something right out if the twilight zone, ugh!

I hope your babies feel better soon!!
  • It seems that ALL of my experiences in life are from the twilight zone! @mijita
  • TOUCHE!! I'm sorry, but from the little I know about you, it's true.

Sending a huge, tight virtual hug.
  • Juliana had a fever of 102.8 yesterday she was already scheduled for an appointment today so it worked out. Her doctor said there is a virus going around called the hands feet and throat disease. It basically causes high fevers and blisters on the hands feet and throat, she said lately they are just seeing high fever and blisters on the throat. I dunno if it could be that or not.
  • So my daughter has strep.

My son has strep and hand, foot and mouth disease.

I have strep too. Ugh.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, they are miserable. My daughter has been sleeping for 5 hours now and it's 6pm! My son took a four hour nap and woke up SCREAMING his head off and wouldn't stop. Every time I touched him he cried. :(
  • @captivated where do you live? The hand foot mouth disease has been going around like crazy here (wv) david, aadyn, and about 6 of their cousins have just gotten over it. It didnt seem to bother them though. I gave david benedryl when he was itching a lot. Hope you & the babies get better soon!